Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #1

converter not working correctly?

We are sleeping in our new tt last night at home...my son has my tablet plugged into the stereo...we are using the furnace and the fridge on 12v and a few lights.....everything is good we go to sleep and about 2am I get up to use the bathroom and when the furnace kicks on the propane detector beeps three times indicating low battery voltage. Then I notice the furnace blower running much slower. We are plugged into a 20 amp circuit and do have power ...microwave clock is on..
Only one light showing on the system check...I thought when plugged into shore power the converter gives you 12 to everything and charges the battery if needed...not drain the battery? I had to connect a battery charger this morning to give us heat.....should I be calling the dealer today about this?
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #2

You are plugged in. Maybe the breaker on the OUTSIDE source is tripped? I'd check there first.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

Checked and I have power coming in...I don't think the converter itself is putting anything out...I checked all the breakers and the 12v fuses also. And the reverse polarity fuses....I took the cover off the converter and its not making any noise..the cooling fan isn't on..not that its hot enough to run but I remember hearing it when we bought it.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Contact the dealer. The main job of the converter is to supply 12v when plugged in and yours is not doing that.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Check the breaker on the converter?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Yeah checked all the breakers and fuses... guess a trip to the service dept is in order...the dealer is about 40 minutes away and close by the time I am home from work. Ma have to bri g it to work a drive straight up there next week....damn
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

See if you can trace the 12 volt wiring from the converter to the batteries. A broken connection in those wires would give you the same symptoms.

Best of luck
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

I have no 12v out of the converter itself...its shot. Calling the dealer tomorrow
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What converter do you have (With that info I or others can get way more specific) the following is "Generic"

For this post converters come in 3 types. Plug in, Hard wired and Intergrated (Converter is part of power distribution panel)

If it's plug in... (Mine is) Make sure it is plugged in (Mine, when I had your problem, was NOT plugged in, Since it was the middle of the night I did something alternate (not possible on most rigs) and plugged it back in in the morning)

In all 3 cases, there is a breaker, Cycle the breaker OFF then back ON, it may have tripped and not all breakers indicate well when tripped.

Then the converter itself (Unless integrated) will have an internal fuse or two.

If integrated those fuses are normally on one end, or the other, of the fuse strip.

But if you can tell us the make and model.. Someone can likely pinpoint the fuses.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #10

Its a WFCO 8955 its built in under the distribution panel. I am an HVAC tech pretty handy with controls. Learning the trailer electronics fast. I checked the converter itself ...has power going in from the panel...but the output of the converter even before the panel is dead.....pulled out the converter and the only built in fuse as it seems in glued in on the back of it. I'm not going to mess with it any further...let the dealer replace it and I may upgrade it at a later time to one that puts out more to the batteries for a quicker charge.

I have read in many places that this model converter is not very reliable

In time I will be adding a solar panel also...that will be a fun project .
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

I just replaced a WFCO converter on a 2009 5th wheel, id say there not very good at all.
Krazzykitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #12

Its unfortunate that some don't make products that last or are quality
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to wvet2001 Send a message via Skype™ to wvet2001
I have a 2001 monaco knight and have had the inverter plugged up for a week, and i was outside and smelled something but the only light on was the yellow light should it have the green and yellow light while charging and and the 2 flip switches where the on and off button is should they be to the left or right for it to be charging? Thanks William
wvet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote