Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Converter Replacement Question

I have a 33 foot Catalina Legacy trailer with an apparent converter failure.

I have to pull off the panel to determine the actual model but it is pretty clear that a replacement is in the cards. The original I believe to be a 45 amp single stage device. The trailer does have upgraded batteries going from 1-12 volt battery to 2 - Interstate GC2 Lead Acid batteries. 225 Ah. The reason I believe the converter to be gone is that:

1. The batteries don't charge when the trailer is plugged in.
2. There is no sound of a cooling fan in operation (there used to be)
3. The battery indicator in the coach went to E when the coach was plugged in.
4. When a separate battery charger is connected at the batteries, they charge fine and the operation within the coach for all 12v items is normal.

When I pull the cover and check that AC power is available to the converter, I am pretty sure that will find that it is good up to the converter. I checked breaker to converter as well just to make sure it wasn't tripped or something like that.

So all that for the following question. As mentioned, the original unit is supposed to be a 45 amp device. Should I consider upsizing that power to something like a 50 amp smart converter?

I ask mainly because of the battery upgrades. They hold more juice and as such when low, I would expect that the converter has to work harder and longer to bring them up. If the current model was sort of minimally competent for the job which is what I generally expect from RV Builders....

Are there any issues that I should be concerned about with an upgrade to amperage? Not looking to make a large increase, but something in the order of 5 amps or so.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #2

1999 model......probably a Magnetek/Parallax converter.

Check Best Converters for replacement
https://www.bestconverter.com/Parall...ters_c_68.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the resource. I will follow up with that but just as an aside, the trailer is a 2019 model, so relatively new but I have had a fair share of issues with the electrics with this trailer from day one. I suspect that the original converter may have had something to do with that. Perhaps AC Ripple. I have however lost faith in my local RV dealership so asking them for advice is kind of off the table.

Any thoughts on increasing the amperage?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #4

Since you've added battery capacity, it would be nice to replace the converter with one that has a higher charge rate. But you first have to make sure that the existing wiring will be adequate for more amps. It may be wired and fused for 45A maximum. Do you know what size wire is run from the converter to the batteries? That will determine the maximum charge rate from a replacement converter. Also, bear in mind that the converter is often connected directly to the 12V fuse panel so check on that, too. If you do upgrade it, I'd consider one of the newer smart converters that will also charge LIFEPO4 batteries, in case you decide to upgrade to those later.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
Since you've added battery capacity, it would be nice to replace the converter with one that has a higher charge rate. But you first have to make sure that the existing wiring will be adequate for more amps. It may be wired and fused for 45A maximum. Do you know what size wire is run from the converter to the batteries? That will determine the maximum charge rate from a replacement converter. Also, bear in mind that the converter is often connected directly to the 12V fuse panel so check on that, too. If you do upgrade it, I'd consider one of the newer smart converters that will also charge LIFEPO4 batteries, in case you decide to upgrade to those later.
It appears to be 6awg (13.3mm/2) as written on the cable.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
So here are some of the images I have taken

It is actually a 55 amp converter. Here are some of the specs.
The fuse circuit board seems to suggest that it is good up to 150 amps so I think I am pretty safe there.

You can see some of the components that have basically blown.

So that is what I am going to be looking at replacing. I am going to have to stick with the existing wire mostly because what is there goes under a cover panel that is all covered with spray insulation. We'll see where we get.

Thanks to all for the assist. If any else have anything to add, I will be checking back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WF8900 Wiring DiagramR.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	363045   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220419_132809R.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	363046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220419_132654R.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	363047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DistPanelSpecsR.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	363048  

Old 04-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #7

Looks like you let the 'goo' out ----- LOL

Boondocker 55A 4 stage is direct replacement for the WFCO 8955 converter
https://www.bestconverter.com/BD-125...l#.Yl9yKovMLIU
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #8

I have the same power center. A wfco 8955 pec. I bought it new and after it was installed it lasted 2 weeks. After contacting the company and speaking with Tiffinay and Christie and being treat very rude I have decided to switch the whole power center to another brand of hopefully better quality and better customer service. Please post what your solution was. I see progressive has a direct replacement but would like to hear others opinions.
Tomcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #9

I replaced the charger part of my pos WFCO 8955 converter. Progressive Dynamics has good, drop in replacements. Give them a call for their recommendation.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, converter, replace, replacement