Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Converting an Onan generator to LP

IRV2 Mechs: Has any one converted the Onan MH generator to propane? would love to get a topic going on that subject if there is a will group.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

I'm no expert on the subject, but why would you want to convert it? from what I've read here on the subject,that propane gens aren't any good.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can go to their web site and compare the two types of Gen to see if it is possible to do.
The cost may not be worth it to do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #4

I read that there is some curiosity as to why I am inquiring about the LP or NG conversion of an ONAN generator.

1. I have two RVs and one is a parts RV (generator is still a baby in that parts RV)
2. I am going to remove generator from RV and use it as a house back up as I live in a remote area and have an all electric home (power outages like last nite are common)
3. Gasoline is expensive and can have storage problems and cause issues in a machine if not flushed and prepped properly
4. Propane and natural gas are more cost effective and store more easily
5. the conversion kit is not too expensive ($190ish) and it is easy to install on a generator that is not mounted in the RV

Propane conversion for Generator. Tri fuel kit. - YouTube
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
2. I am going to remove generator from RV and use it as a house back up as I live in a remote area and have an all electric home (power outages like last nite are common)
3. Gasoline is expensive and can have storage problems and cause issues in a machine if not flushed and prepped properly
4. Propane and natural gas are more cost effective and store more easily
Now your conversion project makes sense. And your #3 comment above makes sense too. However, propane is expensive too depending on where you live. And propane contains less BTU's than gasoline so it will burn more propane than gasoline. Natural Gas is the best choice economically assuming it's piped to gen and not CNG (compressed Natural gas) as stored in a portable tank. So, IMHO, propane may be less efficient but for all the reasons it makes better economical sense. It will burn cleaner too. Good luck.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I'm no expert on the subject, but why would you want to convert it? from what I've read here on the subject,that propane gens aren't any good.
I've not heard that but what about them isn't any good? Just curious
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane does not pack the "Punch" of gasoline, So one gallon of propane is less than one gallon of gas. When you look at the prices. Factoring that in, Propane is a bit more expensive then you thought.

The solution to the storage issue is to get like a 100 Gallon tank. AND a meter that can measure the flow of fuel to the ganerator (This comes in later) Fill the tank (100-300 gallons) with "Road Gas" (that is Gasoline that has been taxed for on highway use) and then fill your car from that tank till it's time to re-fill, say 1/3 full, Run the generator a minimum of 1/2 hour every month under at least 1/2 load.

On the end of the fiscal year read the flow meter so you know how many gallons the genny sucked... When you file your state tax return, file for a refund of road tax on that gas.

Tax is yet another factor in gasoline, I recall a few years back a sticker "you are paying 87¢ per gallon in taxes.. I'm sure it has gone up since then. Generator gas is not road taxed.

Check with your state for the specifics on this.

NOTE.. this gives you a slight advantage when the lights go out in your town..... You see,, You can still fill up your car, since your pump runs off the generator.

Oh, one more thing....... The power for the pump comes off a switch IN THE HOUSE,,,, that way you turn it off when not using it (Saves gasoline, the gasoline the kid down the street pumps into HIS car).
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

Correct. The popular Onan Microltite 4000 is de-rated to 3600 when sold as powered with propane (4000W vs 3600W). I had a propane 3600 in our first Safari TREK 6.5 Diesel and, other than an appetite for spark plugs and some issues not connected with fuel, it performed satisfactorily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Propane does not pack the "Punch" of gasoline, So one gallon of propane is less than one gallon of gas.....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

The conversion is complete... my Onan 4000 runs well on propane. Next step is testing the load and getting a best fit idea on how to properly handle the future power outage issues.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

Get a transfer switch and subpanel, relocate loads to be used on generator to subpanel, use transfer switch to control subpanel

Easy to do and not expensive, but if you need more detail that this post to figure it out, hire s qualified electrian to do the work and check into a permit, that will make sure it is inspected, cheap insurance
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

I have been going back and forth on what generator to buy. I thought about the Onan 4000 gas but my RV is a diesel and I do not want to put in an auxillary tank. I thought about two Honda 2000's but there is the danger of them being stolen. The cheapest diesel generator they have is a Onan 6000 and that is way out of my price range. I finally decided on the Onan LP 3600. The reasons why are:

1. I live in the Rocky Mountains so I would not need to use my AC as much so 3600 watts would be enough. There is no need to have some gigantic generator weighing down my RV just so I can say I can run two ACs.

2. Cost. They are not cheap but no where near as expensive as the diesel 6000.

3. I have heard people say that propane generators suck up propane but on doing research I see that the difference is no more than 0.3 gal/hour on a full load. Considering the cost of a diesel generator I would have to use it a lot to make up the difference.

4. I have two 75 pound tanks and plus I am not a full timer so I would not use that much propane.

Just my two cents.
Colorado_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

The propane generator is not much different from gasoline in my opinion. I am happy that I made the conversion. I use my converted unit as a back up for my house. I removed it from the parts RV to reclaim its use. I have an all electric house and it will help during the power outages.

Tags
generator, onan