Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Domiciled in Florida, Full Timer west of the Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Denver Send a message via MSN to Denver Send a message via Yahoo to Denver
Cummins Quiet Diesel 7500

Greetings all

Cummins would have you start the genny under minimal load and stop the genny under minimal load after a 5 minute cool down period.

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with upgraded solar (2000 watts), batteries (680ah lithium) and inverter charger (3000 watts). The charger is 120 amps at 12 Volts (so approx 12 amps @ 115V). (The original was 75 amps at 12 volts).

This seems to mean I can neither start or stop the generator under minimal load (unless the house batteries are fully charged).

First, am I rightly concerned?
Second, what's a body to do?

Thank you for your support.
Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #2

Your terminology is not entirely correct. Actually what my owners manual says is do not start or stop while under a heavy load, allow at least 3 minutes under minimal load to cool down.

I would not be concerned about the battery charger load, at its highest the 120A load will be 1/10th of that in AC amps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Domiciled in Florida, Full Timer west of the Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Denver Send a message via MSN to Denver Send a message via Yahoo to Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your terminology is not entirely correct. Actually what my owners manual says is do not start or stop while under a heavy load, allow at least 3 minutes under minimal load to cool down.

I would not be concerned about the battery charger load, at its highest the 120A load will be 1/10th of that in AC amps.
so you're suggesting it is OK to start and stop under a 12 Amp load? The load is equivalent to a microwave, toaster oven, resistance heater or washing machine/dryer. Seems to me these are the "appliances" referred to by Cummins.

Thanks, I suppose, but your response doesn't follow from the Cummins directions..
Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
so you're suggesting it is OK to start and stop under a 12 Amp load? The load is equivalent to a microwave, toaster oven, resistance heater or washing machine/dryer. Seems to me these are the "appliances" referred to by Cummins.

Thanks, I suppose, but your response doesn't follow from the Cummins directions..
Ray gave you the accurate information on starting and shutting down the gen in Chapter 4 of my manual covers this.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Greetings all

Cummins would have you start the genny under minimal load and stop the genny under minimal load after a 5 minute cool down period.

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with upgraded solar (2000 watts), batteries (680ah lithium) and inverter charger (3000 watts). The charger is 120 amps at 12 Volts (so approx 12 amps @ 115V). (The original was 75 amps at 12 volts).

This seems to mean I can neither start or stop the generator under minimal load (unless the house batteries are fully charged).

First, am I rightly concerned?

Second, what's a body to do?

Thank you for your support.

Your putting to much into it. I just turn off ac which is better for them anyway.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #6

Your not starting against any load.

Your ATS, ( auto transfer switch ) has about a 30 second delay before it applies a load to the generator.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my Generac quietpac 7500d, the same generator as yours, the manual says to start it with no load and let it run for several minutes to warm up before bringing systems online. When you are ready to turn the gennie off, power off all the systems that were running and let it run for several minutes to cool down
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, cummins, quiet