Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

DC ground to GFCI?

I am wiring in a tiny DC fan for the composting toilet. I would like to do this without any new holes, so it could be restored to traditional toilet; take the 12v from the bathroom light switch and connect the negative side to the GFCI outlet ground wire. Is there any reason this cannot/should not be done?
Just There is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #2

That’s a big fat NO. You can ground to anything metal like the chassis.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #3

The bathroom light must have a 12volt ground, use that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The bathroom light must have a 12volt ground, use that.
Sure. At the light fixture !
Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage98 View Post
That’s a big fat NO.....
Please explain why. The ground for the AC circuits, including the GFCI, is bonded to the chassis, right? Is it a code thing, a safety issue or will it disrupt the GFI function?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #6

I can snake a ground from somewhere, it just doesn’t make sense to run another wire if there is already a ground at the convenient location of the 12v power (provided it is safe to do so). Please explain.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #7

The ground in 120 volt wiring is a non current carrying, safety conductor.

Electricity being what it is, if a appliance developes a short to ground, that 120 volt current is looking for a way to ground. You don't want it taking a shortcut thru your light gauge, 12 volt wiring, behind your toilet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Just to reiterate what has been said above, it is always a terrible idea to mix 120v grounds and 12 volt grounds. They do not work the same way and create not only safety issues but fire hazards. And yes they both go to the chassis but its what happens before it gets there that can be the issue.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The ground in 120 volt wiring is a non current carrying, safety conductor.

Electricity being what it is, if a appliance developes a short to ground, that 120 volt current is looking for a way to ground. You don't want it taking a shortcut thru your light gauge, 12 volt wiring, behind your toilet.

I don't think the 120VAC system is grounded to the RV chassis, as they are bonded together in the main breaker panel.Such chassis grounding can create what is called a "hot skin" if anything is amiss. Is that correct?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just There View Post
I am wiring in a tiny DC fan for the composting toilet. I would like to do this without any new holes, so it could be restored to traditional toilet; take the 12v from the bathroom light switch and connect the negative side to the GFCI outlet ground wire. Is there any reason this cannot/should not be done?
Lay the tools down. Step back away from the tools PLEASE!!!!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #11

CAVIE: How about helping out here instead of being so sanctimonious.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I don't think the 120VAC system is grounded to the RV chassis, as they are bonded together in the main breaker panel.Such chassis grounding can create what is called a "hot skin" if anything is amiss. Is that correct?
The 120 volt system is ABSOLUTLY Bonded to the chassis. If it wasn't and the skin became hot then you would become the grounding wire. OUCH! The neutral is isolated from the grounds. They are bonded together only at the main service panel.

The "hot skin" is eliminated by the bonding of the chassis.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #13

Thank you! I learned something.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Lay the tools down. Step back away from the tools PLEASE!!!!
A little late for that. I’ve already installed a transfer switch, inverter, shunt for battery monitor and solar, but thanks for your concern and input. I was looking for the specifics of “why/why not?” and I appreciate those who clarified.