Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 05:13 AM   #1

Dead batteries

I have a 2010 Georgetown and my batteries for overnight. I installed new batteries and even with the disconnect off they will die quickly. Seems that something is draining them or maybe trickle charger isn't working. I don't even know where the charger is located. Any help would be great and I would be thankful for.
ragsdale61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 05:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsdale61 View Post
I have a 2010 Georgetown and my batteries for overnight. I installed new batteries and even with the disconnect off they will die quickly. Seems that something is draining them or maybe trickle charger isn't working. I don't even know where the charger is located. Any help would be great and I would be thankful for.
You don't tell us if it is the coach batteries or the chassis batteries that are going dead. Since you are talking about the disconnect switch I am going to assume coach batteries.

My first suggestion is to get your owners manual out and learn about the operation.

Second, if you are talking about the battery disconnect switch inside the coach it does not turn everything off. There is still parasitic load. And on many units it will also power the control panel for the refrigerator.

What do you consider quickly? Before I put new batteries in mine this spring, I considered going dead in 3 days quickly.

Your not telling us much to go on. You installed new batteries? Was it working before that? Did you take a picture of the battery connections BEFORE you disconnected to make sure you hooked them all up correctly.

Does your coach have an inverter/charger? Is it on or off. When the batteries are at full charge, does everything work as normal. If it has an inverter, when the batteries are full does it invert and produce 120 volts for the outlets/appliances the owners manual says it should?

And one last thing. Many inverter/chargers will not charge a battery from completely dead. IE:6-7 volts. You may have to bring them up to 10v or so with a regular battery charger and then the inverter/charger will come on to charge them. Coach batteries do not have a "trickle charger" The either have an inverter/charger or a converter/charger which will supply 12v to the coach when on shore power and also charge the coach batteries.

If you are talking about the chassis batteries then all this does not apply. If your Chassis batteries are going dead you have something else wrong, that you will probably need a mechanic to find.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #3

Well said amosnandy
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #4

12 volt Side of Life

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Battery University https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

How does the Lead Acid Battery Work?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...d-battery-work

How do battery chargers work
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-chargers-work

How to Charge and When to Charge?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...when-to-charge
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsdale61 View Post
Did you get a spark when you connected the final cable to the new batteries? If so, how big was the spark? A tiny one might be normal but a larger spark indicates something is on and pulling juice, there's a short somewhere, or you have something hooked up wrong.

As mentioned, the disconnect, if it's working properly, probably doesn't kill everything. Propane or co detectors come to mind. Still, they by themselves would not pull the batteries down over night.

Also, even if the charger was not working, the batteries would not go down over night, if the batteries were charged when installed.

Do you have an inverter on board? If so, it will draw power just sitting there unless it's turned off. I'm not sure it would pull enough to discharge the batteries overnight but it'd be something to check.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

I'm having the same problem with my 2019 Newmar Canyon Star. If I'm not on shore power or generator at night, dead house batteries by the morning. We just had a state park trip, no hookups. Had to shut generator off at 10pm. By morning, battery voltage down to 8-9. I had to run engine 45 min to add enough charge to get generator to crank. Had inverters off and electric disconnect off overnight, but still drains batteries from behind the scenes live circuits. Have thought about a disconnect on the battery bank to shut off all power that can drain the batteries. Can I use one of those lithium battery chargers to jump the house batteries in this situation. The manuals provided with the RV are about useless
Craigt61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries