Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #1

Question Desperate Help in Maine, HEATING ISSUES

Hello to all, I'm a newly registered member and have a situation having trouble to solve. I'm Disbld. Ret. LEO, live in Upper Mid Maine and living for 4th Winter in my 1999 Newmar 4Season 5th Wheel with 2slideouts. I never thought I'd be in this so long, however, my furnace went at end of last winter, '21/'22. I used EXPENSIVE electric heaters to keep inside and basement warm. I was able to repair furnace, it was the motor. Prior to fixing it, the HEAT BLASTED out of duct work n vents. I was very careful to replace funace over plenum hole. I'm also without Hot water, one thing at a time. I cleaned out the best I could ducting, can't find a diagram/schematic. I just ordered a 16ft flex cam to investigate interior. Never been cold in here, even when -22şbelow Zero and 45mph gale force winds! It's been modified with a water well pump, septic, city electric etc., also the frig went? Awning flew off day I bought it, seller gave $300 off, however I have a carport. Now, HOW or WHY am I not getting the Heat like I did last year? I have a full 500gallon Propane tank n would like to use it? Anyone have same issues or know how to ATTACK this situation, if so, I'd be very much in your Debt. Only four register, clean three and best I could the large plenum area. Also, COLD AIR, coming from the far livingroom end floor vent? I was unaware some mice entered an opening I missed, happened B4, never any duct heating issues..... Any HELP I'm ALL EYE's..!
Sandbagger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #2

Did you put bug screens on the intake and exhaust for the furnace? It sounds like you could have a wasp nest partially blocking the heat exchanger. You need to get to the case and remove any panels you can and inspect the outside of the heat exchanger for heat damage. On my heater it was darkened areas of the steel (blued), I had to remove my heater to disassemble the case and inspect it. If your heat exchanger has not cracked, you can remove it from the heater and wash it out with water and then re-install. If you are careful in removing the heat exchanger you may be able to re-use the gasket, whatever you do make sure the gasket has a seal, so you don;t get Co entering the heating ducts.
I feel your pain, Vet, disabled (non-VA), limited income and I am running electric heaters waiting for the heater I bought to be delivered.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #3

Post make and model of furnace.

Post pictures if possible.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #4

If the fan motor is spinning the wrong way, the cage type fan is less effective.

DC motors turn backwards if the + and - are swapped.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #5

I hope you know that Newmar will service your rig. I was at the factory a few years ago and there was a woman there that brought her old 5th wheel in for service.
Here is a link to the catalogs for your year. https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the fan motor is spinning the wrong way, the cage type fan is less effective.

DC motors turn backwards if the + and - are swapped.
When you replaced motor....red is DC+ and black is DC-
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat duct, heat vents, heating, how 2 clean heat ducts?, nemar heat ducting, newmar