Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Diesel Heaters

Diesel Heater (Chinese diesel heater)

So, I’m not sure if this is the correct location to start this topic, but it seemed right.

Thought it would be good to have a central location for ongoing information, questions and experiences.

I bought and installed a “Chinese” diesel heater. Don’t hate me, that is what they are called. Knock-offs of original models. Originals are made by Eberspacher and Webasto and cost a lot more, in the $1200 to $2000 range.

I wanted a supplemental heat source, besides electric or propane, to heat our 42’ Class A with 1 super slide, when we boondock and the temps drop. Propane is good, but not always readily available. Diesel is available just about anywhere. We got stuck at home base, in Missouri, and the winter temps are low. This seemed like a cheap alternative.

Our propane furnace(30,000btu) pulls 10amps when it is running. The diesel heater pulls 10 amps to start, for about 5 minutes, then it goes into run mode, using 1 to 2 amps to run.
Bought my heater off of Amazon, but they are available on eBay and a lot of other sites. Just search for “diesel heater”.

I originally installed it in the basement and plumbed it into the floor heat duct. There wasn’t enough air volume to overcome the duct size/length and put out warm air. So, I now have it installed in my originally planned location.

I managed to fit it under the factory installed Dometic fridge, in the space with the factory furnace. I made my own base plate, to mount it sideways on the floor (acceptable mounting). It draws in its return air from the coach living area at the same source as the furnace. The supply lines are aimed out towards the rear and front of the coach, for now. Planning to get them “plumbed in” in the near future. One of the supply lies is hooked to the flexi-duct that runs down to the wet bay and piping.
The “heater” intake and exhaust both run thru the side wall of the coach. They sell “thru hull” exhaust fittings for a price. I actually drilled a hole and fed the exhaust through it. I wrapped fire-resistant gasket material (that I had) around the pipe where it passes through the wall. Intake is simply stuck through a hole.
Mounted the fuel tank and fuel pump in the basement, on drawer sliders. The tank pulls out for filling.
It was 40 degrees out yesterday. I ran it for about 2 hours and the temp in the rv went up to 75 degrees.
I’m pumped!
BTW, it came with everything needed to install it. Heater, tank, fuel line, controller, wiring, intake/exhaust, base plate, screws, clamps, etc.
I bought and installed a carbon monoxide detector, as everyone who has these recommended.

The temps here have been in the single digits and the teens for several days (Super Bowl Sunday). We have run the diesel heater the whole time. Propane furnace is on and set, but has not kicked in.
We can go about 26 hours on 7L of diesel. That breaks down to less than 1/10th of a gallon an hour. Yep, these things are metric sizes, centigrade temps, converted Chinese instructions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4920.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	317579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5245.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	317580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5247.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	317581Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4928.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	317582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5089.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	317583
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a similar thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hea...ce-516622.html

I don’t think mine is working as well as yours I tried going into the ducting that was in place for my furnace but just did not work well.

I plan on reworking the duct to see if I can get it working better.

Do you have some photos of your exhaust setup would like to see what you did.

We found that the front of our 40’ With the heater on full would not keep the cab area warm in 30 deg weather. I was thinking of installing 2 units.

The main issues I found like you is volume of air the air is hot very hot but not the best in volume. Been thinking of using boost fans in the ducts to increase air flow and mix more cold air to lower the heater temp but move more air.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
I have a similar thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hea...ce-516622.html

I don’t think mine is working as well as yours I tried going into the ducting that was in place for my furnace but just did not work well.

I plan on reworking the duct to see if I can get it working better.

Do you have some photos of your exhaust setup would like to see what you did.

We found that the front of our 40’ With the heater on full would not keep the cab area warm in 30 deg weather. I was thinking of installing 2 units.

The main issues I found like you is volume of air the air is hot very hot but not the best in volume. Been thinking of using boost fans in the ducts to increase air flow and mix more cold air to lower the heater temp but move more air.

Name:	IMG_5243.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	317608
There is a picture on the inside. Hard to see, but there is a green gasket around the exhaust pipe in the wall.

Name:	IMG_5251.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	317609
There is my temporary exterior setup. You can see the green better in this one.

Looking at this to cover the intake. Would add a mesh screen.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-Stain...id=25012742598
Old 02-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Here is the exhaust connection I plan to use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-st...2-bb36323db99a
Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
My heater is installed under the fridge, at about the middle of the cabin.

Mine has the 4-hole, 42mm supply cap. 4 smaller pipes compared to 1 larger pipe. That may help mine with getting the warm air “pushed” farther in the cabin. 2 aimed towards the front, 1 towards the bedroom, 1 for the wet bay.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
We’ve been getting snow, so I had to improvise for the intake.
Yep, that’s a half-gallon milk jug.

Name:	IMG_5266.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	317611
Old 02-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

We are thinking of buying one for a back up heat source. We would be looking to mount it in the furnace area. They are a handy little heater. Did you get the 5kw or 8kw heater?
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
For the record, this is what I bought.

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	317628
Old 02-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #9

I just bought one yesterday.... I hear they sure will put out the heat.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Diesel Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post
We are thinking of buying one for a back up heat source. We would be looking to mount it in the furnace area. They are a handy little heater. Did you get the 5kw or 8kw heater?

I got 8kw off of EBay. I went 8kv, since I have a 42’ rv and figured bigger was better. Got the 4-outlet model to be able to send heat where I wanted it to go.

The “heater guys” (the ones on the “diesel heater” forums) claim that the 8kw models are just 5kw models with the fan speeds turned up. I, myself, don’t know it’s true or not.
I have watched a few videos on how to tune them in/up, and all my factory settings (fan speeds and fuel/air mix) are the same as the 5kv videos show.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post

Name:	IMG_5272.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	317634
This is in a 1998, 42’ Overland Larado. Installed in the space under the factory fridge. 30,000 btu propane furnace on the left, sink piping in rear at top, silver hose to wet bay. Mounted on its side on home made base plate.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear that the connection to the existing duct system did not work out for you, but glad to hear of the overall success heating the space. In my case, on a 36 footer with an ~8KW unit connected to the existing duct, I turned the rpm up from 4.2K to 5K for better flow, but left the max pump cycles near the 5KW level otherwise the air is much too hot.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Diesel Heaters

I’m good with the separate ducting. No dealing with back flow from one to the other. Plus, either one or both can come on, if needed.
It is still in the teens here, dropping to single digits at night. This little heater is doing a great job of keeping us warm. The best part is that it constantly blows out warm air.

2 units might be a good idea, if you do a lot of cold-climate camping/living. Having one up front would really be great for traveling, keeping you warm while you drive!

We have been averaging about 7-liters in a 24 hour period. I go out and fill the tank mid-morning.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Finished up the exterior piping for intake/exhaust. Cleaner look, ready to travel. Intake on top and exhaust on bottom. Intake pipe is screened.
Going to find some fittings, probably copper, to be able to hang the muffler off the outside when parked.

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	319924

Tags
diesel, heat, heater