Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

Difference between Splendide 2100 and 2100XC

I have searched the heck out of this question and have only determined the 2100 is an earlier model to the 2100XC. Have a chance to get a lightly used 2100 very cheap but as it is a boat load of trouble to swap out the existing 2000s I don't want to buy if the 2100 has issues.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
I have searched the heck out of this question and have only determined the 2100 is an earlier model to the 2100XC. Have a chance to get a lightly used 2100 very cheap but as it is a boat load of trouble to swap out the existing 2000s I don't want to buy if the 2100 has issues.
I think one difference might be just a better door latch/lock assembly which I upgraded on our 2000S. The latch/lock assembly on the 2000S will break if you try to open the door too soon after a wash/dry cycle is completed. The new assembly replaced plastic with metal parts. Otherwise, like all consumer goods manufacturers, they need to change something, sometimes just cosmetic, to stay relevant in the market.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
I think of the 2100 as a later model of the 2000S, and not an earlier model of the 2100XC, because the 2000S and the 2100 are quite similar and in fact share the Splendide "Training Guide," and according to the Training Guide, have the same control panel.

http://www.splendide.com/service/TRAINMAN_Complete.pdf

The only difference I see is the size of the drum--1.6 cubic feet for the 2000S and 1.92 cubic feet for the 2100--which means the 2000S has a 8-pound wash/6-pound dry capacity, and the 2100 has a 12-pound wash/8-pound dry capacity.

I have a 2100 that I bought used a few years ago. My previous Splendide didn't have any lights on it--it was the WD802M with just dials, an uncomplicated workhorse that would do what I wanted it to do.

My dissatisfaction with the 2100 stems from the electronics. I can't just move the dial a little to advance the cycle (I have to go through a "reset" procedure), and there's no way to use the high-heat dry cycle without having it do a spin cycle during the dry cycle, which is beyond stupid for a machine that has a reputation for wrinkling clothes during the dry cycle.

And it does the tiny spurts of water after it fills, which are incredibly annoying.

Also, there's no "countdown" for any cycles--the dials on the old machine would tick around. The new one just advances at once to the next part of the cycle. So I never know how long it's been washing, and can't tell if there's just a few minutes left so I can just go ahead and move to the next phase if I become pressed for time.

The 2100 also has the dryer lock-out nonsense, which I disconnected, so I can now open the door during the dry cycle to move things around. Unfortunately, that means I can open it during the wash cycle, too, which is good for throwing in a missing item, but not so good because the wash cycle can start even if the door isn't completely latched.

Heh--I just glanced at the owner's manual for the 2100XC, and it says that even if locked, the door can be opened up to five minutes into a wash cycle and any time during a dry cycle. FINALLY!!

However, if all these issues are present in the 2000S you already have, perhaps the only difference will be the size of the drum, and with these machines, any bigger you can get is better. According to the manual, my WD802M had a 1.5 cubic foot drum, and your 2000S has a 1.6 cubic foot drum. I can tell a difference between my previous machine and the 1.92 cubic foot drum in the 2100 I now have.

Reliability wise, so far so good, with mine.

Actually, one more thing. My WD802M ran flawlessly on the built-in Generac generator I have. The 2100 does not. It wigs out and doesn't run right, no doubt due to the electronics. I have figured out that if I run my basement air on both compressors at the same time as running the Splendide, it works right. So there's some sort of harmonics thing going on, and an independent Splendide repairman says it's common, although he's seen it more with Onan generators than Generacs.

So that's something to be aware of if you want to use a 2100 on the generator--it might not work right. (Your 2000S might not, either.)

The wash cycle on the Splendide uses very little electricity, though, so you can get around that if you have a pure sine wave inverter--plug the Splendide into an inverter outlet and let the batteries run it, and refill the batteries with the generator later. But I would most definitely not even think about trying it on a modified sine wave inverter. But on my pure sine wave inverter, the Splendide works fine. And of course that's the wash cycle--the dry cycle will use a lot more electricity, so you'd have to be very judicious doing that on the batteries.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #4

Wow, Oatmeal, thanks for the detailed primer on those Splendides.

We have a 2000s now with the usual main control board problem. I just can't see sinking another $400 into such an obsolete machine. Hence looking at upgrades and the 2100XC keeps coming up. It also has slightly less depth so we can get it in our front door.

Appreciate your response MUCNO!
Old 07-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

When my WD802M died (after replacing various parts over the years), I was afraid I was going to have to buy whatever the latest model was, and I knew I was going to hate it because I hate all new appliances that think they're smarter than I am. That's why I was happy to find a very lightly used 2100 for like $500, I think, hoping that the electronics wouldn't have advanced THAT far for that model.

Well, they advanced far enough to dissatisfy me, but it's now become the enemy I know, so I just live with it. I still cry out STOPPPPP ITTTTTT when it's doing the tiny spurts of water. I'll manually add a quart of water, saying, "Are you happy now?" And even then, it sometimes does more spurts. Grrrrrr.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I stumbled on this thread after being out on our maiden trip and trying the washer for one small load while out. It is a 2000 model with the basic rotating selector dials. We had to use water from the holding tank because we had no full hookup. I thought it worked great but a detergent pod I believe is too much for the small tub and small load. The 1/2 hr dry wasn’t quite enough so I added another :25 to the timer and that seemed to do it. This was on high spin and high heat. In a pinch it would be just fine, obviously not going to do a lot of clothes quickly. Over all very satisfied with it.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #7

A pod is WAY too much detergent. In my machine that was similar to yours, I typically used about a tablespoon of regular (not HE) liquid laundry detergent.

The high-speed spin on these machines does a fantastic job of getting water out of the clothes. They are a LOT drier than when I use one of the big fancy front-loaders at a laundromat.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Difference between Splendide 2100 and 2100XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
A pod is WAY too much detergent. In my machine that was similar to yours, I typically used about a tablespoon of regular (not HE) liquid laundry detergent.

The high-speed spin on these machines does a fantastic job of getting water out of the clothes. They are a LOT drier than when I use one of the big fancy front-loaders at a laundromat.

Yep, I told my wife that. We have the OM. The manual speaks specifically of the powders and liquids and which goes where. Long before the pods were developed. Are parts hard to get for this early model 2000?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Yep, I told my wife that. We have the OM. The manual speaks specifically of the powders and liquids and which goes where. Long before the pods were developed. Are parts hard to get for this early model 2000?
I don't think Splendide makes any parts for the old machines in more, so you'll have to find a used part. Back in 2014, I replaced the motor and even then, I bought a used one from a guy who parted out machines.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

XC = Extra Capacity
Old 07-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I don't think Splendide makes any parts for the old machines in more, so you'll have to find a used part. Back in 2014, I replaced the motor and even then, I bought a used one from a guy who parted out machines.
Well you can still buy that pricey control board from Westland but it and an associated part that should be changed run almost $400. Visone says they have a salvage part for $175 they claim is good but will not warranty it or take it back if it is bad.

Because of that, I am not willing to take the risk it is OK.

Just very hard to justify spending $400 on a 20 year old machine that is obsolete.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What typically starts failing on these anything thing in particular?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
We just did swap out an older (mfg in 2001) 2000 vented combo...
Never did wash and dry very well.. [vented model]
Really hated the pull out drawer for adding soap/softener..Always had "clumps" of soap sticking to dispenser or plugging the hose.
Finally the motor for the dryer fan gave up [ yup full of wet clothes] so grabbed the wet/dry vac & shoved the hose into the outside dryer vent and let it finish drying.
Always said that if it gave up would go with a stacked unit..As parts are no longer available anyway.
We went with a vented stacked unit (Did have to add a new dryer vent higher up the wall due to existing plumbing conflicts.. looks kinda funny with two vents seen on the outside..
Washer mdl. WFL1300 XD [REALLY like the swing out door for adding soap/softener/bleach... And it uses less water than the combo did, and the clothes are as clean as a residential washer!
Dryer mdl. DV 6400 X
OH WOW!! Really Dries and my Levi's have no wrinkles... BIG BIG PLUS!!! It HAS a LINT FILTER like the residential dryers Do!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210512_172538_01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	337245   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210512_140548208.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	337246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210512_140701918.jpg