Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Do I need to spend money on an aftermarket surge protector or not?

I know this has been talked about, but I have rather a new wrinkle. Our soon-to-be fulltime home will be a Fleetwood Bounder 35k. Watching a video produced by MHS on the bounder line, the presenter did the usual walk-around tour of the coach's systems but he happened to zoom in on the transfer switch and I took a screenshot of the sticker. I've been reading the details on this thing (Surge Guard 40350RVC) and it seems to do what I've been reading here that a surge protector is supposed to do (low/high voltage protect, loss of neutral etc.). Anybody have any opinions on whether I need to shell out even more for an aftermarket box?Click image for larger version

Name:	20170207_175307.png
Views:	276
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	151260
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No, that has what most people get in a shore power protector already built into your RV. Lucky for you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by klebs View Post
I know this has been talked about, but I have rather a new wrinkle. Our soon-to-be fulltime home will be a Fleetwood Bounder 35k. Watching a video produced by MHS on the bounder line, the presenter did the usual walk-around tour of the coach's systems but he happened to zoom in on the transfer switch and I took a screenshot of the sticker. I've been reading the details on this thing (Surge Guard 40350RVC) and it seems to do what I've been reading here that a surge protector is supposed to do (low/high voltage protect, loss of neutral etc.). Anybody have any opinions on whether I need to shell out even more for an aftermarket box?Attachment 151260
I wouldn't. That is all I have for incoming but I use a power strip in the coach to plug the pooter and hot spot in.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The ATS you have has good built in surge protection and power management. However, think of one scenario where you take a surge hit large enough to fry the protector. If that happens, you will have to replace the ATS instead of just replacing or bypassing a surge protector/EMS. Just my $0.02, others will vary.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am replacing our current ATS and pedestal attached Surge Guard with this unit. 1) I prefer the least amount of connections possible between the shore power pedestal and the motor home power systems. In the current configuration I have two plugs and they are both out in any kind of weather. 2) I consider adding a hard wired Surge Guard (which I was happy with in another motor home) but the electircal bay in my current motor home is small and the addition of a hard wired Surge Guard would compromise getting to some electrical components, fuses and curcuit breakers as well as reducing the power cord storage space, which is already tight. So... the current ATS takes up about the same amount of space as this Surge Guard one with the added protection, so replacing it seemed a resonable (albeit somewhat expensive) solution for me.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If this is JUST a surge protector then you still may want to invest in a unit that also 'watches' for low voltage or mis-wired outlets.
Personally I would spend the extra money for another unit just to have the extra line of defense. And as pointed out, if the worst DOES happen and the external unit gets fried then you still have a fully working transfer switch - with built in surge protection.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at that I do not think you need spend more.. I'm having bandwidth issues so researching is .. Not fun.. But TRC makes a combination Surge Guard and Automatic transfer switch with over/under voltage protection.

If you can find the Owner's manual for it.. That is a plus. Also, See if there is a REMOTE display that connects to it (may already be installed, look for a phone cord (remember those) coming off it) If the display shows Volts and Amps this goes a way towards convincing me, if it does not have one try check the manual to see if one is optional..

Do not have the manual.. I could not quite read the model looked like 20350 or 20450 ONE of those is a TRC Surge guard Transfer switch with protectiion..

Another indication is this;;;; When you plug in .. does it delay connection 15-272 seconds ... Or does your RV power up the instant you close the Park's breaker?

But just now.. I do not THINK you need another device, I think that is it..

Why do you need a "Voltage protection" device.

Well, there is a 30 amp outlet and folks will tell you "Oh yes, Friends use that for their RV all the time" only it's not for RV's.

You see, it looks exactly like a common 240 volt outlet for Dryers, Air compressors and the like.. (30 amp RV is 120 volt) and connecting to it does one of two things.

If you have a proper Surge guard, It gets you a display that says, (loosley translated) Dummy, that's a 240- volt outlet, don't use it.

If you don't.. It lets the magic smoke out of your electroincs (And they run on that so if you let it out they stop working).

Also, many have hired a professional to install a TT30.. and he looked at it and said "AH 240 Volts" and.. Well see last paragraph.

(I installed my own TT-30.. Properly)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

(I installed my own TT-30.. Properly)
Yep, so did I, about 30 years ago. Still using it today.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 AM   #9

I tried to find out what the part about "with RV-C CAN communications" meant. There's not a lot out there on RV-C but I did find a Wikipedia article here about it, wondered if it was something I could exploit for monitoring purposes. But there aren't many products out there that are built to use this protocol. Does anybody know what it's for?

[url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV-C[url]
Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Your unit is a combined Surge Guard and Transfer Switch all in 1 unit. If it were me I'd still invest in a Progressive Industries hard wired Surge Guard and put it in line BEFORE your unit. It'll be a lot cheaper to replace the Progressives unit then it will to replace your combined unit in the event of a bad surge. Also you'll be able to wire around the Progressive unit if it does take a hit, BUT if the combined unit takes a hit you're liable to be dead in the water till you can get another one.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 AM   #11

I haven't heard of anyone buying two and hooking them both up. You just bought one already installed and ready to go. If it wasn't already there the advice would be to add one, not two.

But the own two suggestions do make sense. Plus it isn't our money. Lol.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #12

Thanks for the help folks. I'll probably just be going on with one of these for a while and then when the money becomes available I might just take your advice and get a second one to place in front of it.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Your unit is a combined Surge Guard and Transfer Switch all in 1 unit. If it were me I'd still invest in a Progressive Industries hard wired Surge Guard and put it in line BEFORE your unit. It'll be a lot cheaper to replace the Progressives unit then it will to replace your combined unit in the event of a bad surge. Also you'll be able to wire around the Progressive unit if it does take a hit, BUT if the combined unit takes a hit you're liable to be dead in the water till you can get another one.
As an EE by trade I definitely recommend this. You can never have too much surge protection when your expensive gear is on the line. So unless the combo unit has an easily replaceable surge protection module I'd follow this advice. It is cheap insurance.
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 AM   #14

So the consensus is to protect a surge protector with another surge protector? That seems excessive to me in an application where the likelihood of the component ever serving it's insurance function is so low. I've yet to hear anyone suggest investing in a hard wired unit but add a portable at the pedestal because it's cheap insurance.

Now if we are debating an all in one versus having the two functions, surge and transfer switch, in two units, I like two separate. But I'd be very comfortable with one surge protector, just like everyone else.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote