Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2022, 05:28 AM   #1

Do you leave hot water tank full.

Do you all empty your hot water tank after leaving the campground etc..I had never considered draining it but I saw where someone said he drains his after every trip and that got me wondering if that is normal or if he is a little OCD. Thanks
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 06:06 AM   #2

That's a bit overboard.
I leave it full. If I should inadvertently turn on the electric heater element it won't burn out.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be reasonably argued that if you filled your tanks with untreated water (well, spring, etc) and you let that sit, the chances for bacteria or algae is higher than with treated city water. Nearly all my fills are with city water so have never drained the HWH during the course of a season but it does make sense. Might save a sanitizing step depending on how long you expect to store that water.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:19 AM   #4

I think WRVOND nailed the best reason to NOT do it, and that is the relatively high likelihood of inadvertently powering the electric element and thereby destroying it. It wouldn't be a matter of "if" as much as "when".

Also, every time you remove and re-install the drain plug you increase the likelihood of an unexpected leak.

Personally, I would never drain my water heater except for maintenance or winterization.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 AM   #5

We go on the road often enough that we do not drain it. Hitting the road every month means that it is never that long between uses and as stated above, it is a little insurance against accidental destruction of a heating element. I do drain it a couple of times a year to check the anode. I think that whatever might grow in there between uses will be fairly well destroyed by the heat. Does anyone drain their hot water tank at home after a long trip out? Probably not and they are exactly the same. Our home water heater gets turned off as we are leaving and gets turned back on when we get home. No issues after many years.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #6

I drain mine at end of camping season.
Fill at beginning of camping season

When FTng I only drained it when we got funky smelling water.....

Our WH is an Atwood with an Aluminum tank.
Once a year is recommended

Suburban WH us Steel glass lined tanks hence the need for an anode rod
Anode rod should be checked at least twice a year. That requires draining

As for turning on the AC -----open the 15A CB for the WH
Just make it a routine part of draining the tank
**Should pull the DC fuse for Gas operation also
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
Do you all empty your hot water tank after leaving the campground etc..I had never considered draining it but I saw where someone said he drains his after every trip and that got me wondering if that is normal or if he is a little OCD. Thanks
The only time mine gets drained is if I winterize or I need to do service.

I see no other reason to drain mine. I'm not going to drink hot water. I'm pretty sure that 140 degrees will kill bacteria. An almost empty tank can build up scale faster than a full tank. If it was going to sit for years I would be winterizing it and not fill my tanks until I'm back on the road.

Two worries about emptying it would be someone might accidentally turn it on while empty and the nylon plug that they use is not supposed to be reusable. Once you take it out you are supposed to throw it and put a new one in. I know a lot of people use them over and over but a nylon plug only has so many cycles in it before it's worn.

But I am also one who fills the fresh water and dumps the black and grey. That's the way I travel. Fresh full holding empty. I'm set for a week then.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post

Two worries about emptying it would be someone might accidentally turn it on while empty and the nylon plug that they use is not supposed to be reusable. Once you take it out you are supposed to throw it and put a new one in. I know a lot of people use them over and over but a nylon plug only has so many cycles in it before it's worn.

Turn off the 15A CB...no harm/no foul
Nylon is used for its temp/pressure ratings and because nylon is softer than aluminum, so tank threads are not damaged. The Drain plugs come TWO to a pak and can be reused. Finger tight then slight snug...tapered threads. But after a few uses they can leak...hence the 2nd plug.

But I am also one who fills the fresh water and dumps the black and grey. That's the way I travel. Fresh full holding empty. I'm set for a week then.
I also travel FULL fresh/empty Waste and good for a week.
RVs are 'self contained'....water/propane/DC good to go!
Old 08-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I also travel FULL fresh/empty Waste and good for a week.
RVs are 'self contained'....water/propane/DC good to go!

that's another thing I heard.Never travel with fresh water tank full.
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I always travel full. Has been beneficial a couple times
Old 08-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
that's another thing I heard.Never travel with fresh water tank full.
If the RV MFG PROPERLY installed the TANKS there is no reason to NOT travel with fresh water tank full

What are you going to do when you get to destination and water is NOT available.
Bad water/broken water main etc.

BTDT and trip wasn't ruined because we came with water.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I camp in the mountain's of WV, KY, PA, or if I think there any chance of freeze. When I head home (3 to 6 hours) I drain it and turn on the the bypass. I also have a 100 gallon freshwater filled to 25 gallon using a water meter. If there is a chance of freeze before we are out again. 5gAbout 5 to 8 miles from the house we disconnect the toad. At that point I open all the lowpoint drains.

I do pull out the nylon plug. I pulled that plug hundreds of times. I do have a spare and I do use teflon paste.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
If I camp in the mountain's of WV, KY, PA, or if I think there any chance of freeze. When I head home (3 to 6 hours) I drain it and turn on the the bypass. I also have a 100 gallon freshwater filled to 25 gallon using a water meter. If there is a chance of freeze before we are out again. 5gAbout 5 to 8 miles from the house we disconnect the toad. At that point I open all the lowpoint drains.

I do pull out the nylon plug. I pulled that plug hundreds of times. I do have a spare and I do use teflon paste.
You drain water on a highway? No, No, No!
Old 08-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You drain water on a highway? No, No, No!
Draining fresh water on the road is a no no? Why?
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water