Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Dometic 310 leaking

I have a Dometic 310 about 1 year old. The last 2 weeks I find water on the floor to the right side, occasionally. There is no pattern to when the water appears, gone a few days back a day, then gone. The bowl still holds water & I find no water around fittings or the pedal. The bowls solid to the floor so no loose bolts. Ideas???
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

Got a mirror? Or take a pic from behind toilet down around the floor.....Does yours have a removable panel down at the base on the front?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

If you have a manual with a parts list for your toilet , look through and see if the is a " vacuum break " listed in the parts , this item on my SeaLand is prone to erratic leaks .
Old 08-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I have a Dometic 310 about 1 year old. The last 2 weeks I find water on the floor to the right side, occasionally. There is no pattern to when the water appears, gone a few days back a day, then gone. The bowl still holds water & I find no water around fittings or the pedal. The bowls solid to the floor so no loose bolts. Ideas???
Went through that with a Dometic Model 310. It's the valve. Also, their warranty is 2 years, so if you contact them with your problem, including a photo of the sticker with model and serial number, they'll send you a replacement valve. (At least they did for me.)

FYI, I think this *may* be a winterizing problem in many cases. The valve is a low point, and I suspect lots of times it's left with water in it. Breaks the valve when it freezes.

Fairly easy replacement, too. Took me about 15 minutes.

Good luck,

Roger
Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #5

On back of toilet near top IS a Vacuum Breaker
It has a hole in top that gets closed by a flapper when water pedal is pushed/water flows into toilet. Then when pedal is released/no water flow the flapper drops down and air comes in thru hole to break any siphoning action

If flapper doesn't fully close water will leak out the hole and dribble down backside of toilet

Water Supply Valve can also be source of leak.
BUT if cracked due to cold winter it is NOT covered under 2yr warranty...specifically states so with pictures in Manual

Place some toilet paper under water supply valve and check for wetness
Place some toilet paper behind toilet and check for wetness

Water on floor right side of toilet....suspect water supply valve
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Went through that with a Dometic Model 310. It's the valve. Also, their warranty is 2 years, so if you contact them with your problem, including a photo of the sticker with model and serial number, they'll send you a replacement valve. (At least they did for me.)

FYI, I think this *may* be a winterizing problem in many cases. The valve is a low point, and I suspect lots of times it's left with water in it. Breaks the valve when it freezes.

Fairly easy replacement, too. Took me about 15 minutes.

Good luck,

Roger
I'll keep this in mind, I live in the SW with mild winters and winterize with air. Thanks, Edd
Old 08-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I'll keep this in mind, I live in the SW with mild winters and winterize with air. Thanks, Edd
That might be the source of your problem. Since the valve is a low point, you could have water collecting there after winterizing. Then it only takes one good freeze to crack the valve.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:14 AM   #8

Per Domectic

IMPORTANT: Toilet warranty does not cover freeze-damaged water valveThe Dometic 310 and 320 series toilet warranty expressly excludes coverage for any damages to the toilet or vehicle that may occur as a result of improper winterization of the toilet. An indicator of improper winterization is freeze damage to the water valve which results in leak

See pg. 9 of 310/320 Manual
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...ies_manual.pdf
Old 08-12-2020, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Per Domectic

IMPORTANT: Toilet warranty does not cover freeze-damaged water valveThe Dometic 310 and 320 series toilet warranty expressly excludes coverage for any damages to the toilet or vehicle that may occur as a result of improper winterization of the toilet. An indicator of improper winterization is freeze damage to the water valve which results in leak

I hear ya. In my own case, I made certain that the toilet line was filled with RV antifreeze, so damage to my valve should not have been the result of improper winterization; in fact, Dometic covered it and sent me a replacement valve under warranty. But the OP in this case uses air to blow out his lines, so even if it was damaged by freezing, was it the result of "improper winterization"?

BTW, that 300/310/320 series valve is pretty inexpensive if you need to buy one on your own.

Roger
Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #10

Think about it.
You have a foot operated valve that you actuate to let water (under pressure) pass thru up a hose to the back of the toilet's rim--way up above the water level YOU ESTABLISH by controlling the level.
So, you need a backflow preventer or vacuum breaker?
Doesn't make sense.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #11

The fresh water valve is leaking at the plunger inside of the toilet base. It only leaks when flushing/filling the toilet. If you can see the drain pipe from a storage compartment you will probably see water leaking around the drain pipe where it comes through the floor.

They are about $15 on eBay and most dealers have them in stock. Probably would also get a spare. Very common problem and about 15 minutes to replace.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to replace the water valve/flusher at about 1 year. Not due to freeze though! Part failed. Easy to do, especially if you pull the toilet first. But not necessary if you have room to work and good knees!

Water valve is inexpensive and available all over. Got ours on Amazon.

New Durable Plastic Water Valve Kit 385311641 for 300 310 320 series - for Sealand marine toilet replacement
by iFJF
4.5 out of 5 stars 817 ratings | 24 answered questions
Amazon's
Choice
for "dometic 310 water valve kit"
Price: $14.99 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Per Domectic

Thanks again, you always seem to have the answers I need Old -Biscuit.

Talked with Dometic today and their educated guess was vacuum breaker with a bit of calcium or debris holding it open and the leak would be out the top. Just watched a YouTube on replacing the vacuum beaker and after watching I'll pretty sure that will be the problem, large round rubber gasket the valve "plugs" into. A leak there or in the valve would dump water inside the base to run out where I see the water seeping from under.

Thanks all for the replies, I'll pull it apart tomorrow and see if the water valve swelling or the vacuum breaks gone belly up.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Think about it.
You have a foot operated valve that you actuate to let water (under pressure) pass thru up a hose to the back of the toilet's rim--way up above the water level YOU ESTABLISH by controlling the level.
So, you need a backflow preventer or vacuum breaker?
Doesn't make sense.

Just check out how a toilet vacuum breaker works...then you will understand the concept

Tags
dometic, leak