Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #1

Let me vent.... I have a 2003 TT and the fridge quit working last week when we returned from a great trip to the Catskills, NY. I can't believe the unit died after such a short period of time. It is a Dometic and I had the recall work done on it last year and have always taken care of it with normal operations and level operating use. Very frustrated and I am now putting in a $1200 Norcold. I refuse to ice box it. Called Dometic and they said I am SOL. Just venting!
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #2

Let me vent.... I have a 2003 TT and the fridge quit working last week when we returned from a great trip to the Catskills, NY. I can't believe the unit died after such a short period of time. It is a Dometic and I had the recall work done on it last year and have always taken care of it with normal operations and level operating use. Very frustrated and I am now putting in a $1200 Norcold. I refuse to ice box it. Called Dometic and they said I am SOL. Just venting!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

What went on it? Norcold has had it's share of issues also. I have owned both and have been lucky. I am just curious.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #4

THe cooling unit. THe tech said if I can smell amonia it aint good. ANd I smelled amonia from 20' away. Very strog odor and what appears to be yellow stains from the leak around the vent housing.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The cooling unit on our Dometic in our current 5th wheel failed at almost 3 years and was replaced under warranty. The cooling unit on our Norcold in our previous 5th wheel failed within 6 months and was replaced under warranty. Based on my experience, it really is a toss-up to say that one is better or worse than the other.

YMMV....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mich:
THe cooling unit. THe tech said if I can smell amonia it aint good. ANd I smelled amonia from 20' away. Very strog odor and what appears to be yellow stains from the leak around the vent housing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes , thats your cooling unit. I agree it shouldnt have failed .A replacement would cost you upwards of $600.00 or better.I would probably opt for a new fridge also, at least you will get a warranty.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
The cooling unit on our Dometic in our current 5th wheel failed at almost 3 years and was replaced under warranty. The cooling unit on our Norcold in our previous 5th wheel failed within 6 months and was replaced under warranty. Based on my experience, it really is a toss-up to say that one is better or worse than the other.

YMMV....

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could go the other way too, mines 20 years old and still works great! Well hopefully it does as it's in getting the gas valve recall done right now. They better not screw it up!!! I do think though that when/ if the cooling unit goes on my fride Norcold 875EG2, I will replace just the cooling unit. I like the fact that my fride has no electronics, and it works just as good as a brand new one with all the fancy stuff. Personally I don't know why they went all electronic, just more junk to draw power and go wrong.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #8

I agree. I owned a 1987 Mallard with an original Norcold in it that is still working fine today. A friend of mine now owns it has not had a prob.
Prior to the fridge replacement, I was thinking of only keeping this unit for 2-3 more years. But now that I just dumped $$$ into it, for the first time since I got it, I will probably shoot for 5-6 more years with it. The only issue I may run into is if my kids (6&9) grow too fast and become uncomfortable in the bunks.
I will say, the new fidge looks great! But not $$$$$$$ as great as what I paid!
Just keep telling me I mad the right call and it will help me sleep at night! (:
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

Let me be your sleeping pill, you made the right decision

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #10

thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #11

Just replaced our 3.5 y/o unit with a new Dometic (with extended warranty-5 year) to prevent having to replace for at least those years. It's unfortunate we consumers can't get some satisfaction from the mfr since SO MANY of these units are failing!!!!
DadD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #12

Just a question to all of you that are expirencing early failure, how are you guys using these fridged? Primarily on electric? Full time? Occationally?

I suspect that these fridges are probably truely built only for occational use, and using them full time is causing early failure from over use.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
According to Dometic Training you could use the colling unit 24/7 and the in fact they would rather you keep it on then the off and on, with the moisture build up, defrosting and the moisture getting on the coils, cooling unit etc.

There should be less rust on one used all the time.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #14

I know there have been plenty of discussions regarding dometic and the recall info, but I can't cough up $1800 and just let it go.
After speaking with the 4th Dom rep today and being hung up on twice, I finally spoke with a woman that referred me to NHTSA 888-327-4236 regarding my concerns. According to the rep from NHTSA, another recall was issued on 4/2008 regarding the "refridgerant" leak and potential for explosion. She took my info and assured me I will receive more in the mail to fill out and send back. I will do whatever I can, in a civil/courteous manner, to find out why these units are dying so early and nothing is being done to assist the consumer. I know it is beyond the 3 yr warranty and I know they don't have say a thing. But who knows, they might do the right thing!