Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Not according to the tech. Live all the time. :(
I'm thinking I'm going to test that out when I get home. I will simply see if the awning moves with the ignition switch on.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I brought the coach home Saturday.

Tested it out while parked in the back yard, engine running.

The switch is live while engine running. So I'll be doing something about that.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well...I finally tested mine and...WHACKY!

I've often thought that the switch inputs to the module (the switch near the front door. wind sensor and remote controls) were BACKWARDS. The switch on the control board itself seems normal.

My reason reasoning for that seems pretty clear with the remote operations. Also, once I had my owning stowed with the weather sensor on and it DEPLOYED the awning when the winds got into the range I would have expected it to retract a deployed slide.

So, I found this. With the key off I could deploy and retract awning fine. If I turned the key on I could deploy but NOT retract awning. I have been able to replicate this consistently. I suspect there should be some kind of deployment safety protection but OBVIOUSLY it could be a problem for me. I need to delve more deeply into my issues.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a weather/wind sensor on mine. Just a switch and that's it.

Sounds like its good you found out SkyBoss!

I like the awning lock, but that wont stop the switch from being live and trying to deply. Could burn up the motor if not removed before operating so I am going to get a key lock switch installed.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When fully extended, because my coach has a radial roof and the track is lower, the awning can only be mounted so high.

When fully extended, the door almost, ALMOST touches the awning.

Can the awning be extended up higher with the side arms? I have had no instructions whatsoever on the 9100 so bear with me on my questions...

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140621_121817_022.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	66011  
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I answered my own question. The awning cannot be raised up any with those side arms. Only dropped a little.

NEW INFO ON THE SWITCH BEING LIVE WHILE ENGINE IS ON:

I just found this regarding the ignition interlock (while engine is running, switch is not energized) from the OWNER'S MANUAL. (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE)

I brought it up to CW and they said it would take another 4-5 hours at 129 per hour to wire that in and there was nothing like an ignition interlock that came with the unit. He said that this is an after factory after market install and that the ignition interlock is not applicable........well it sure doesn't say its not applicable in the owner's manual!! I'll go to Dometic with this......

Quote:
"If awning responds to switch with ignition in the ON position, accidental operation during transit could occur. The awning MUST be disabled and serviced by a qualified service technician. Failure to obey this warning could result in death or serious injury."
No kidding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140624_134200_010.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	66073  
Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
our's has a 2nd awning control in the basement and they too are live when going down the road... they recalled it and put what looked like a thermostat cover over it that flips up so it can't be deployed accidentally...

that should do it for you too kent...
not thinking a lock would be needed...

after all if someone is walking around and playing with buttons while underway, you have a discipline problem not an awning problem
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #22

Quote:
I answered my own question. The awning cannot be raised up any with those side arms. Only dropped a little.

NEW INFO ON THE SWITCH BEING LIVE WHILE ENGINE IS ON:

I just found this regarding the ignition interlock (while engine is running, switch is not energized) from the OWNER'S MANUAL. (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE)

I brought it up to CW and they said it would take another 4-5 hours at 129 per hour to wire that in and there was nothing like an ignition interlock that came with the unit. He said that this is an after factory after market install and that the ignition interlock is not applicable........well it sure doesn't say its not applicable in the owner's manual!! I'll go to Dometic with this......

No kidding!
I think Dometic will tell you what the manual is telling you too. They will say it's the manufacturer's fault for not installing one. Fleetwood bought the awning and installed it as they saw fit.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just talked to Dometic. Here is the installation instructions for the awning. These instructions are for new or existing installs. ALL powered 9100 awnings are to be installed with an ignition interlock.

CW is evidently unaware of this. I have made them aware of it and the potential liability involved as a result of their failure to follow the installation instructions. I, as the end user, Camping World, and potentially Dometic would be liable should anything happen from that awning deploying accidentally by hitting an energized switch traveling down the highway....including but not limited to property damage, bodily injury or death(s).

This is a serious issue. I can't believe CW told me that's the way all of them are installed after market/after factory install.

Yet another trip to CW?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140624_154112_344.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	66080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140624_134200_010.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	66081  

Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

This is a serious issue. I can't believe CW told me that's the way all of them are installed after market/after factory install.

Yet another trip to CW?
Another reason I won't let CW touch my coach.

I need to figure out what is wrong with my system. I pulled the wall switch out. It appears to be properly wired and the awning goes in and out correctly based on the function selected but it still seems backwards regarding the ignition lock out.

The remote control is clearly backwards.

The other issue is the motor itself. The system seems extremely sensitive to ambient temps. When it gets above 90* the motor stops often when trying to retract the awning. This was the case both with the previous and current motor. Many of the wire connections were redone last summer but I think there are a few more up front near the co-pilot seat I need to check into.

Next I want to find where the remote control module/receiver is located. I'm assuming it is also probably up front.

I'm gonna locate the fuse and kill the system while traveling.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smart decision Don. Since mine is wired direct it's not possible until I get a key switch or something like that installed.

I brought up all this stuff to CW management yesterday and told them I was leaving it in their hands to deal with.

Will see what they do.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Smart decision Don. Since mine is wired direct it's not possible until I get a key switch or something like that installed.

I brought up all this stuff to CW management yesterday and told them I was leaving it in their hands to deal with.

Will see what they do.
There MUST be a fuse somewhere! If not...you have a MAJOR problem.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #27

Kent they make a roller that mounts on the top of the door(cheap) to keep the door from hitting the awning had mint for 9 years
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has one too. I didn't know that was what it was for till I saw it.

Tags
awning, dometic, power