Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Question Dometic A/C Thermostat Replacement Problems

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star. It originally came with 2 Penguin rooftop A/C's with Heat Pump, Model 630215321. They were originally controlled by one Dometic Duo-Therm 4-Button Thermostat.

Both units stopped working. The previous owner replaced the front unit with a Dometic A/C with Heat Pump, Model 651816CXX1C0. The rear unit was disabled. The original 4-button thermostat was replaced with a 5-button Dometic Duo-Therm thermostat known as Comfort Control Center (Dometic part #3109228.001) and the required Dometic Comfort Control Center Upgrade Kit (Dometic part #3310009.000) was installed in the new front unit. The front unit controls everything. Only the "Zone 1" dip switch is set to "on".

Problem: The new 5-button thermostat does not show "Heat Pump" as a mode to select. It does show "furnace". I would prefer to use the heat pump function to save from using propane for the gas furnace.

So..... I called Dometic and was told that the new front A/C Heat Pump unit requires the 12-button Dometic Duo-Therm Thermostat known as the Comfort Control Center 2. They said that should allow the "heat pump" mode to show up. I ordered that item from Amazon.com and was sent a Dometic Comfort Control Center 2 Thermostat (part #3314080.015). I performed a system reset.

New Problem: Now, no zones show up at all. I performed a system reset 2 times.

Any ideas?
tredavon2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
They failed to inform you that you will need control board(s) for the roof unit(s).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Too many variables.

Go back 3 spaces...

If front unit was replaced and was working as ac but not heat pump then if it was a heat pump unit then there may be a dip switch setting on control board.

We replaced our 22 year old ones with a pair of 7 year old heat pumps that used the 5 button control and me thinks there was a dip switch setting on control for zone, heat pump and maybe unit number.

You set switch then do a reset on thermostat.

Why is other unit offline? Wrong control?

Get the full model number then get a soft copy of the manual.

Turn off the ac breakers then get on the roof and open the cover then open the metal box on the right side containing the control board.

Write down the part number if you can find it and get some photos too.

Look for a dip switch to set options then note how they ate set then set per what you need if correct.

Me thinks the PO installed new ac with correct thermostat for that unit but installer did not set it properly.

New unit not compatible with second unit so it was left off.it may be compatible but that is another task.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the manual for setting the dip switches for various AC systems including heat pumps. Send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you. Can't unload it here because it is over 3 MB. My control boxes with circuit boards with the dip switches are inside the MH mounted in the AC return air above the filter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 5 Button Comfort Control Center Manual.pdf (620.6 KB, 150 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Correction to control board

Thanks everyone!! Your information was very useful.

TQ60 - you are right - too many variables!
RV Wizard - unfortunately, the installer didn't use the control board that came with the new unit.
CHBoone - I will try to figure out how to message you with my email.

It seems that the installer did not use the board that was included in the box with the new unit. They kept the old control board in since it did work with the new unit and the existing 5-button thermostat - just no heat pump selection.

More than likely, they did that because the owner was planning on selling the motorhome and didn't want to buy a new thermostat to go with the control board that came with the new unit.

The installer also did not have the dip switches set properly.

Here is our plan going forward:

Since we DO need a new rear unit, it would be best to continue using the 5-button thermostat until we get the new rear unit (even though it we can't get the “Heat Pump” selection).

We will keep the new 10-button thermostat we just ordered from RVPartsCounty.com (Dometic Comfort Control Center 2 - Dometic part #3314080.015) for when we get a new rear unit.

We will soon buy a new rear A/C Heat Pump unit.

We will then install the new 10-button thermostat and order the correct Comfort Control Center 2 - which goes with it.

Thanks, again!!
tredavon2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Click on my name, select send private message from the drop down menu. The manual I have is for the 5 bottom control.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dometic, problems, replace, replacement, thermostat