Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
Only fridge draw, yes. No fan or light. Determined by the differential between fridge on and fridge off, as measured in W or A with a BMV712. I'll try an inline ammeter at the fuse panel, (in place of the fuse) next, for the most accurate measurement.
Except in some RVs the furnace and fridge are on the same fuse.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Except in some RVs the furnace and fridge are on the same fuse.
You're right. Mine is one of them. But even on the ľa scale, I'm seeing no current with the fridge and furnace turned off by their usual switches. That's good news.

It's great hanging out with smart folks that I can learn from. Thanks!
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #17

Yes - Take a look at the schematic in my above post. The Dometic fridge in my last trailer had a switch for the door heater. But why not save a couple of cents when the extra power comes from someone elses power budget!

You easily could put a switch inside the refrigerator compartment to disconnect it, but will also disconnect the light. If you do not have high humidity the cabinet edges may not sweat.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
Only fridge draw, yes. No fan or light, or ice maker. Determined by the differential between fridge on and fridge off, as measured in W or A with a BMV712.
====

Today I measured inline current draw at the fuse panel, in place of the fuse (with a good Fluke multimeter). At 13.11V: 435ma/5.7W with solenoid off, 655ma/8.6W with solenoid on. No measureable amperage with fridge turned off at the pushbutton.

Does my model have the door heater? I don't see any switch to turn it off.

When the fridge is off, my remaining parasitic loads total 3W. Not bad considering I have a radio and a BMV that are backlit 24/7, an MPPT and TPMS wifi booster that are always on, and the usual gas leak detectors.
Sorry, can't help at all on regards to a door heater.

I would take a good look at the schematic that was posted up for a wire leading to it if you might have one and put a remote switch on it if equipped with one. Without knowing better though, I'd be thinking that would be a pretty light draw for a heater. But...?
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, dometic, fridge, power