Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #1

Dometic AC Monaco

Been trouble shoot the AC in my Monaco Diplomat for a while. I am pretty handy in most things. Both roof top AC units will not even run the fan. Have power to the main power and all fuses are OK. Removed the cover to get at the circuit board and the fuse attached is OK. Checked the power on the in comming to the circuit board no power. The RV is in storage so I used the generator to produce the power no results to the board. Question is the power with the generator running suppose to be there waiting for the thermostat to inform it to turn on? With a friend listening can hear the relay for the fan give a click like it wants to turn on. Am I missing something? Is it possible the transfer switch is not letting the power thru? I have the rig set up for an appointment to RV service but would luv to fix it myself if possibles. Have the wire diagrams for the domestic and it shows no relay in the wiring between the main to the AC. A dollar saved is another dollar to travel with HA HA.......
dirty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
YC1

Sorting through your diagnosis am I clear that you do NOT have 12 volts going to the circuit board inside the AC up on the roof?

What yr is your Diplomat?

The 12 volts comes from the rv as there is no transformer/power supply inside the AC that produces that 12 volts.

I could be making an assumption here on the previous comment but my 2008 Endeavor with the Pinguins is set up this way.

Based on that I will try to see in my schematics where that fused line comes from. It could be the bedroom 12 volt panel or the front run one beneath the driver outside.

I believe the 12 volts is simply daisy chained between my AC units. It starts at the front one.

In my follwing post is the schematic.

The 110 volts passes through the EMS board/relays which is inside the Breaker Panel. It is easy enough to open the panel and check the 110 volts that goes to the AC units.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
YC1

Here is the schematic for mine and it indeed shows 12 volts coming from the panel in the bedroom.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Wiring.pdf (122.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #4

The telephone cords going to the thermostat can be coroded. Iirc clean them on the roof. The connection under the filter and at the thermostat. Had the same problem once. I Used an electrical contact cleaner.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Re your generator question, it's easy enough to verify that the generator is producing power and the transfer switch letting it through. Just check other 120v appliances, e.g. fridge, water heater, microwave, etc.

There is no relay in the feed to each a/c unit. It is direct wired and waiting for the "cooling demand" signal from the thermostat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a Intellitec EMS load shedding device. Mine failed and although I had 120 volt power to the rest of the coach I did not have any to my AC units.

On mine it part of the main service panel. To access I have to remove the outside cover.

I went through the troubleshooting steps and determined mine was bad but I called M&M Electronics https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/ and they had me do a couple other things but ultimately determined the control board was bad and I had to replace.

I bypassed the board for one of the AC's until I could get a new board.

Get a multimeter and start check the 120 volt circuits
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:47 AM   #7
YC1

The 110 volts passes through the EMS board/relays which is inside the Breaker Panel. It is easy enough to open the panel and check the 110 volts that goes to the AC units.

Quoting myself from previous response.
My Ems relay board also went up in smoke Jim. Bypassed the relays with a couple of wire nuts. Easy to do but of course you do not have the 30 amp load shedding capability.

There are no relays in the 12 volt path, just the 110 volt path.

Not knowing the yr model the OP may not have an ems.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #8

It is 2006 MH and I do have an ems board Intellitic model 760 50 amp smart amp control How do you bypass the board to direct power to the AC units? Is there a place to use a jump cable?
dirty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #9

Most likely...
A/C requires both 12 volts and 120 volts to run. Either one missing, and no go.

There will be a relay inside the A/C. The climate control will provide 12 volts to the internal relay to connect the 120 volts to the compressor and fan.

Meter for both 12 and 120 volts to input wires. Check output of internal relay for 120 volts. Refer to circuit board wiring for other possibilities. There is probably a circuit board wiring diagram inside the A/C cover.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xjl9r...I5VK_?e=YUhnoX

There are some extra files in this folder so use what you need.

You should be able to measure 110 volts going into the board as well as out. There will be information on the inside showing which input should be connected via a relay.

With shoreline and generator off of course after follwing the 110 path, just disconnec the input wire and the output wire and connect together with a good quality wire nut and I like some tape around it for safety. These things shake and vibrate a lot so some protection is good.

IF your EMS panel is inside a closet it can get incredibly hot without any air circulation. In my setup the water heater is below the AC breaker panel and full timing the heat rises a lot and into the panel. Using some simple pink insulation with the paper backing removed the heat going up was reduced to nearly zero.

I also added a tiny spacer on the front panel to allow some air flow.

Tags
monaco