Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #1

Dometic Penguin air conditioner

Hello everybody,
We have two Dometic, Duo-Therm, Penguin, rooftop heat pump, air conditioner on our 04 Mountain Aire.
One of them has failed and will not cool or heat. I would like to find a used one to purchase.
Part # is 630516 (although I believe a 630515 would work).
I have read on the forum, where some owners have replaced, both air conditioners when one failed to save the trouble of having to deal with it a second time.
[Mod Edit]
Bertha Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #2

Did the roof top unit stop all together or is the unit not producing heat when the heat pump function is selected ?

When ambient air is in the low 40s the heat pump function stops producing heated air , and you need to use the propane furnace for heat.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:25 AM   #3

You are very unlikely to find a used working RV Heat pump, as few people replace them until their old unit fails. Having said that you might try one of the big RV junk yards like Colaws in Missouri or Visones in western Kentucky. It looks like Visones is likely close to your route home.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:53 AM   #4

What is not working the air conditioner or the heat?
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:07 AM   #5

What has failed on the one you have?

95% of A/C unit failures are electrical issues in the internal wiring of the unit, a failed relay or capacitor. A new unit you would buy will come with a fresh set of the same issues that will happen again at some point.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
YC1

When I replaced mine I advertised it on Craigs list and it got snatched up almost instantly. The guy that showed up had a trailer full of them as he drove around Florida buying as many and as much of the parts as he could find. They were for a fleet he managed so was not selling.

Someone may have just changed both of theirs when one died so Craigs list might find you one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if you will find a serviceable used HP/AC to put on the RV. They are mostly pulled off because they stopped working.

Has the unit been properly diagnosed as dead? If it is just a fan motor, capacitor or control, it can be fixed for fewer dollars than a new unit.

Do you really use the HP? If not, just get a standard A/C unit which will be fewer dollars.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Did the roof top unit stop all together or is the unit not producing heat when the heat pump function is selected ?

When ambient air is in the low 40s the heat pump function stops producing heated air , and you need to use the propane furnace for heat.

With the ambient temperature outside at approximately 70°, I can set the temperature on the heat pump to 90° and the fan comes on but there is no heat produced.
Conversely, if I set the temperature on the air conditioning to 55°, the same thing happens. The fan runs but no air-conditioning.
Upon inspection, I saw that the refrigerant has been seeping out of the black Reservoir so I presume the loss of refrigerant is causing the problem.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I doubt if you will find a serviceable used HP/AC to put on the RV. They are mostly pulled off because they stopped working.

Has the unit been properly diagnosed as dead? If it is just a fan motor, capacitor or control, it can be fixed for fewer dollars than a new unit.

Do you really use the HP? If not, just get a standard A/C unit which will be fewer dollars.

Ken
I am 90% sure that the refrigerant has seeped out of the system and I believe they are not repairable.
Your suggestion has some merit. I will consider it.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
What is not working the air conditioner or the heat?
Neither is functioning. There is some sweating around the black Reservoir, which I believe is the refrigerant that has leaked out.
I looked at the other air conditioner on the roof and the black reservoir on. It is perfectly dry… And of course both the air conditioning function and heat pump function are working well.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
YC1

Pictures would help of course.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #12

Yes these units can be recharged if you find the leak. I just went through this with my rear unit. The copper line developed a pin hole leak and the refridgerant leaked out and thus stopped working. I have an ac guy who put a self piercing line fitting on the low side, pumped it up with nitrogen and found the leak. He brased the copper line where the hole was, vacumed it down and charged it up. Works fine.

The hard part is finding an old school ac tech that is willing to work on it the old fasioned way. LOL. All ac systems are serviceable with piercing fittings. Had to do the same thing to our coke machine years ago.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Yes these units can be recharged if you find the leak. I just went through this with my rear unit. The copper line developed a pin hole leak and the refridgerant leaked out and thus stopped working. I have an ac guy who put a self piercing line fitting on the low side, pumped it up with nitrogen and found the leak. He brased the copper line where the hole was, vacumed it down and charged it up. Works fine.

The hard part is finding an old school ac tech that is willing to work on it the old fasioned way. LOL. All ac systems are serviceable with piercing fittings. Had to do the same thing to our coke machine years ago.
Pierce fittings will leak!

Closed AC systems are serviced via the process port “stinger” found somewhere within the refrigerant system.
A GOOD AC serviceman will know how to properly service the unit by tapping into the process tube, following the process you mentioned for locating the leak and recharging the system - then pinch off the process tube and re-solder closed.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:29 PM   #14

Bertha Mae -

I believe what your calling the “black reservoir” is the compressor.

When refrigerant leaks, it leaks out as a vapor.

There can be residual oil around where the refrigerant leaked, especially if the leak was a slow one.

The operating symptoms you are describing indicate either the compressor is not running or is running and is low on charge.

There can be condensation (water) on the refrigerant piping along the very small capillary tube that feeds the evaporator if there has been a loss of refrigerant.

Tags
air, air conditioner, dometic