Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Dometic and Fridge Defend

On 2 occasions over the last couple of months my Dometic 1350 SLMX has turned totally off and on checking I find my Fridge Defend is in the countdown mode. This occurs while in an Rv park and hooked to shore power. I waited and it turned back after the countdown the first time. I waiting on it for the second time now. Is this common?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hopefully, Paul with Fridge Defend will be along to help you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Fridge came back on for about 45 minutes and now in 20 minute countdown. When I looked at first countdown it was 46 minutes. Fans not coming on. If boiler gets that hot shouldnt fans come on?
Old 10-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #4

Is fridge level?
Swap to GAS and see if same 'overheating' event occurs
Fridge Defend monitors boiler section...fans are controlled by t-stat a
attached to Condenser fin and start/stop based on the FIN temp not boiler temp

Suspect one of your AC heater elements is not working...requires BOTH to properly boil the ammonia
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Is fridge level?

Suspect one of your AC heater elements is not working...requires BOTH to properly boil the ammonia
We are in rv park and level. I did see in the fridge defend that over the last 4 months or so it has shut down 13 times.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Is fridge level?

We are in rv park and level. I did see in the fridge defend that over the last 4 months or so it has shut down 13 times.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:48 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Fridge Defend Diagnostic Tool

Quote:
Is fridge level?

Thanks for the positive input, yes the Fridge Defend is the only method to determine if there is a Quality of Heat issue. Boiler operators would not be without proper 'state of boiler' inputs/diagnostics such as the Fridge Defend.

I am sorry that I am not monitoring these posts.

Thanks for contacting me Gary, here are Gary's stored Fridge Defend troubleshooting variables:

AtO = 208
AtS = 231
AbS = 299
tr = 013
OPn = 057

SHt = 000
SSH = 242

It took me only a moment once I had the troubleshooting variables to solve this problem. Gary confirmed that there was a bad crimp connection on the boiler sensor. The absolute maximum temperature of 299 is not reasonable, as Gary said the control tripped 13 times, and the boiler sensor was open 57 times.

It is important to zero these variables once the crimp connection is fixed so that down the road, if another issue occurs, these values do not give us false readings and mask the real issue.

Thanks for keeping RVing safe The ounce of prevention that is worth one ton of cure and suppression.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:32 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post
Thanks for the positive input, yes the Fridge Defend is the only method to determine if there is a Quality of Heat issue. Boiler operators would not be without proper 'state of boiler' inputs/diagnostics such as the Fridge Defend.

I am sorry that I am not monitoring these posts.

Thanks for contacting me Gary, here are Gary's stored Fridge Defend troubleshooting variables:

AtO = 208
AtS = 231
AbS = 299
tr = 013
OPn = 057

SHt = 000
SSH = 242

It took me only a moment once I had the troubleshooting variables to solve this problem. Gary confirmed that there was a bad crimp connection on the boiler sensor. The absolute maximum temperature of 299 is not reasonable, as Gary said the control tripped 13 times, and the boiler sensor was open 57 times.

It is important to zero these variables once the crimp connection is fixed so that down the road, if another issue occurs, these values do not give us false readings and mask the real issue.

Thanks for keeping RVing safe The ounce of prevention that is worth one ton of cure and suppression.
Thanks for your help
Old 10-27-2022, 07:43 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Fridge Defend Diagnostic Variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Thanks for your help
We thank you, this problem was easy to fix with your help

The RM1350, in our humble opinion is the best fridge in the 12 foot class.
But, the efficiency comes at a price, it is also the fridge that has boiler overheat issues and fires the most in the Dometic line.

If more info is desired regarding the above statement, please let us know.
We suggest starting a new thread if so, because the reasons for the efficiency of the RM1350 are technical in nature.

If a new thread is started, please send us a personal message with the link. We are in the middle of a production run, facing parts shortages and inflation

See you in the south this winter, Paul and Mao

Tags
dometic, fridge