Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Dometic Brisk air II

Hi all. After hearing all the nonsense about cheap junk Advents a couple of years back, I decided to pick up a new Brisk air II for my Cousins 86 Chieftain and what a mistake that was.

This new Dometic unit is not what I'm used to from this manufacturer and I'm not very happy with the end results of performance.
This is a non ducted setup and it cools ok but the front discharge vent by design of the supply plenum, is useless! The unit is also very noisy and if I had to compare quality of the whole setup, the Advent would win hands down.

Has anyone else installed one of these new redesigned units? If so, what do you guys think about it?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

The Brisk Air IIs are good. Maybe you should have said the ADB isn't great. Does it not cool or not blow air?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The Brisk Air IIs are good. Maybe you should have said the ADB isn't great. Does it not cool or not blow air?
ADB? What is that? It cools fine but the front discharge vent is directly in front of the return hole, so by design of the grill, there is only a very small area that can send air to the front. In other words, the front vent puts out almost no air. The rear vent puts out a ton of air and cools the back of the coach just fine but the front of the coach stays warm.
I have never seen an rv air unit that didnt equally dispense air out of the front and rear vents.
The old Dometic and the copycat Advent have a good airflow design for dispensing air out the front and back of the unit.

Everyone was complaining about the flimsy ceiling template on the Advent but the one on this new unit was just as flimsy.

There is a piece of trim that is supposed to be supplied with the unit for separating the supply air from the return air but it was left out of the package, luckily I had a piece of sheet metal with me and had to custom fab a divider.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Atwood unit but they were out of stock at the store, hence the reason for buying the Brisk air unit.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas39 View Post
ADB? What is that? It cools fine but the front discharge vent is directly in front of the return hole, so by design of the grill, there is only a very small area that can send air to the front. In other words, the front vent puts out almost no air. The rear vent puts out a ton of air and cools the back of the coach just fine but the front of the coach stays warm.
I have never seen an rv air unit that didnt equally dispense air out of the front and rear vents.
The old Dometic and the copycat Advent have a good airflow design for dispensing air out the front and back of the unit.

Everyone was complaining about the flimsy ceiling template on the Advent but the one on this new unit was just as flimsy.

There is a piece of trim that is supposed to be supplied with the unit for separating the supply air from the return air but it was left out of the package, luckily I had a piece of sheet metal with me and had to custom fab a divider.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Atwood unit but they were out of stock at the store, hence the reason for buying the Brisk air unit.
You may want to order the correct baffle/divider. It is rather thick and is an insulator as well as baffle. My Brisk Air II directs a lot of air to the front but I did seal all possible air leaks between the cover and the template with A/C tape. Basically, it works fine but is rather loud (air movement noise).
Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas39 View Post

ADB is the air distribution box. There are non ducted and ducted, then manual ceiling controls and t-stat controls. So I think it only fair you disclose that the non ducted ADB isn't a great design, but that the roof unit itself has no issues.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
ADB is the air distribution box. There are non ducted and ducted, then manual ceiling controls and t-stat controls. So I think it only fair you disclose that the non ducted ADB isn't a great design, but that the roof unit itself has no issues.
Read my first post, I said non ducted. My whole beef was described as the interior setup, never said anything about the upper.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You may want to order the correct baffle/divider. It is rather thick and is an insulator as well as baffle. My Brisk Air II directs a lot of air to the front but I did seal all possible air leaks between the cover and the template with A/C tape. Basically, it works fine but is rather loud (air movement noise).
By design of the box, the tunnel that directs the air to the front vent is tiny, no way possible to get a good amount of air out of it.

I build sheet metal and what we made, ended up being fine for the divider.

Tags
dometic