Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Dometic cooling scale?

Like many I still have a Dometic (two door) and a year left on Ext ins policy. I make a trip to New Mexico most every year last week in June where i dry camp. For second year I notice refrig temp jumping in the low fifties and freezer just below freezing AND for second year I turn the cooling scale up from 3 to 4 then 5. For the second year refrig compartment gets worse hitting 60. This year I had plenty of coolers just in case this happens. Strange thing is while I have things secure in coolers I got the idea that perhaps it was the setting because before I left home with setting/scale at three all seemed to work well SO I place setting back to three and dern if temp in refrig did not fall below 40 and freezer down to 20....what's the deal.....? Just when I thought it was broke and I might get something new from policy, it works again. Stayed fine on the way home with setting on three.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #2

Buck: The ammonia frig type units have an issue cooling themselves. If you want them to do a best fit job in desert like conditions you have to force air across the vent fins up top on the roof. RV Refrigerator Cooling Fan | ModMyRV
I have included this link to help you think in the direction of cooling efficiency for a Dometic type frig. While I have not taken my rig into the heat of the desert....I have observed the issues you are having and had to not only blow off the coils (compressed air) but I put on a fan kit.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

I have the solar vent fan but have never thought it did much good. It was this year that I discovered turning down to middle setting seemed to make it cool better. I would try gas and electric. I at first thought winds were blowing gas flame, but truth is, the wind was most always from direction not directly hitting refrig side. Although cool nights in the fifties, setting at three still seemed to be the fix. I was surprised today when I blowed out compartment that it was not very dusty. Just one of those Dometic mysteries I guess.

Sure would like a residential unit but that one trip to NMex in June is the only time I find the need so great. Ext policy will run out next year so a month after expiration, Dometic will probably die. ha. buck
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Buck.. My frig is from 1996 and is still chugging along
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic