Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dometic Duo Therm Brisk Air 1

I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler 32’ Vacationer with dual-zone Duo Therm and I believe Brisk air units, Series 1 front, and rear. The Thermostat seems to work and I can hear the front unit click but the A/C does not come on, nor does the fan turn on. I can unplug the signal cable rj-11 that runs from the Thermostat to the front unit and then plug it back in and it will click. I opened the access cover to the circuit board and found a fuse and checked. when I plugged it back in you could see it spark when it reconnected, which tells me the front unit is getting power.

This exact same thing happened to me 9 months ago and after I got home it unplugged everything in the front unit and it engaged and the compressor turned on and the fan blew cold air.

I’m sure the compressor is good and the front unit has power, how can I diagnose what's wrong so I can order the needed parts? I also tried getting the rear unit to turn on and it won't operate either and I believe is controlled by the front unit. I considered swapping the front and rear control units as they are the same and it would be unreasonable for both front and rear control boards to fail at the same time.

Thoughts of what to do would be great!
Gnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #2

Start with the easiest solution first... Check the circuit breakers. (both the house and at the units) there are separate ones for the controls and for the operations of the compressors (the controls are usually operated on 12 volts the compressors are 120V).
It sounds like your A/Cs are getting control power, but not power enough to run the compressor(s) after those are clear, check the connections in the junction box under the ceiling panel. (The spade connectors)

Side story, but related:
During a trip though New York a few years back, it was so hot, (101 degrees) I had the generator running and both roof tops powered on (along with the dash A/C at max!) it was just enough to keep the coach cool enough to keep the dogs from heat exhaustion (and, we were still sweating...) Once we had cleared the GW Bridge (3 hours of stop and go... mostly stop...) we were heading up I-684 (very poor condition and very bumpy) My front Dometic A/C unit kept dropping power and shutting down then trying to power back on with the next bump... It finally burnt out the compressor!
When I called the Camper repair (replace) store, I went looking for the model and serial numbers and when I got into the junction box I found the blue wire (with a spade connector clip) was so loose, there was no resistance to pull it off. (I fiddled with it once I were connected to shore power and even though the compressor was burned out at this point, it was still trying to start... (I wasn't pulling the connector off, I was jiggling it in place and it was losing connection, even though it looked connected... That blue wire, (a number 12wire) carried the power to the 120v breaker...

Maybe this will help...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dometic