Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 06:25 PM   #1

Dometic fridge cool and not cold..see parts replaced

I have looked at many threads and do not see what I missed so asking for assistance. 2019 Leprechaun with Dometic fridge model RM1350MSSX and it is in a slide out.
Previous freezer temps around 0 deg and main part 35 deg on shore power or propane for past 2 years. Returning from Florida trip the inside back of freezer froze over on the left side. We got home and let the freezer completely thaw. The freezer temp never went below 23 deg and main 48 on shore or propane.
Fans are working and I tried blowing extra fan on rear of fridge and did not change temp. Temp is same range on shore power or propane. Makes no difference on settings 1-5. Fridge cycles on and off like it is reaching optimum temperatures.
Replaced the lower board and thermistor and freezer not below 23 deg and main at 48 deg after 3 days.
No sign of leaks on back of fridge and door seals are good. RV is level and fridge had performed well under boondocking or RV at campsites.
Not sure what to try next so looking for suggestions
lucasintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #2

Freezer door seals would be first item....but you say seals are good

So that leaves water logged insulation
Or cooling unit dying

Freezer needs to achieve 10*F before Food compartment can achieve/maintain temps below 40*F (0*F/37*F optimum)

Try 'Force Cool'
Unplug te AC Heater Element Leads from lower circuit board
2 elements wired in series......2 leads at J7 & J9
Turn fridge OFF....then unplug AC Power cord
Plug the element leads directly into 120VAC source
*Continuously energizes elements...force cooling
Freezer/Food Compartments get REALLY cold or not
CAUTION: MONITOR during Force Cool....ALL controls are BYPASSED

Cools Down......usually that means circuit board issue
But with new one....suspect water logged insulation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 AM   #3

thanks for comments and I'll look into water logged insulation. Trying to avoid any trips to a dealer. BTW my son is currently assigned to Emory S. Land AS-39 in Guam. Going to visit next month. thanks again.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasintexas View Post
thanks for comments and I'll look into water logged insulation. Trying to avoid any trips to a dealer. BTW my son is currently assigned to Emory S. Land AS-39 in Guam. Going to visit next month. thanks again.
Spent 60 days in Guam having boiler repairs done.

Longest 2 months in my life
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #5

Update on fix. I saw somewhere about removing fridge, turning upside-down for 24 hours and then re-installing...Lost the link but seems it was called something like 'burping'. I neglected to remove fridge but also saw where person took a rubber mallet and banged on the back of the fridge black tank and pipes. Mentioned could be something blocking or bubble stopping circulation in lines. I banged (not hard) on tank and a few lines I could see with the fridge running. RV is sitting in the Texas heat with outside temp max at 105 deg. Two days later the fridge is sitting on 33 in main body and 6 deg in freezer on setting number 5. Will consider it a win. FYI.. If ever want to visit a new distillery in Dripping Springs TX then suggest try 'One shot distillery and brewery' on RR12. Its run by Phil Waldron, a retired Army colonel and big into sponsoring and giving back to vets, first responders, etc.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:09 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Discontinuous Boiler Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasintexas View Post
Update on fix. I saw somewhere about removing fridge, turning upside-down for 24 hours and then re-installing...Lost the link but seems it was called something like 'burping'. I neglected to remove fridge but also saw where person took a rubber mallet and banged on the back of the fridge black tank and pipes. Mentioned could be something blocking or bubble stopping circulation in lines. I banged (not hard) on tank and a few lines I could see with the fridge running. RV is sitting in the Texas heat with outside temp max at 105 deg. Two days later the fridge is sitting on 33 in main body and 6 deg in freezer on setting number 5. Will consider it a win. FYI.. If ever want to visit a new distillery in Dripping Springs TX then suggest try 'One shot distillery and brewery' on RR12. Its run by Phil Waldron, a retired Army colonel and big into sponsoring and giving back to vets, first responders, etc.
It is clear that your boiler was not receiving ammonia to keep the refrigeration cycle continuous. It would be like a ship boiler not receiving makeup water, and the boiler going dry.

I think your son may be interested in seeing this video, and you may also, it explains why the fridge quit producing refrigerant, the Fundamentals of Absorption Fridge Boiler Operation:

"turning upside-down for 24 hours and then re-installing", this is due to the boiler not receiving ammonia like seen in the above video.

"rubber mallet and banged on the back of the fridge black tank and pipes. Mentioned could be something blocking or bubble stopping circulation in lines."

The scientific term is "diffusion", the ammonia does not defuse rapidly into the water. By banging, you vibrated the water possibly helping distribution of the ammonia.

But, we are all about safety here at iRV2 We do not recommend banging on the cooling unit tubing
We at Fridge Defend recommend driving with the fridge off, by going up and down hills while the vehicle vibrates the fridge you get a better effect than banging of the cooling unit.

As far as blockage and the necessity to bang on the fridge, this is what our product does, it prevents this situation from day one As you can see, there is no mechanism to prevent this situation on your Dometic RM1350, which is a fine fridge, but your Dometic lacks boiler controls like any ship boiler operator would demand given the same situation.

Tags
ace, dometic, fridge, parts, replace