RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge rear condensation leak

Have a 3 year old Passport TT with a dometic fridge model dm2625lbx (no ice maker, clear & dry drain lines)

Condensation is coming out of the back in the circle area right behind my red mark in the picture. Looks like a condensation leak from the cooler coils; circled area pictured (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Dometic drop .jpg
Views:	8
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	302320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic leak front.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	302321  

Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

1st picture shows gas inlet line fitting (circled with red mark)

2nd picture....can't figure what you are showing

Condensation would NOT come out of cooling unit....cooling unit is pressurized (~300psi)
If cooling unit leaked you would smell ammonia and/or have a 'yellowish powder residue' (which is toxic ---dried sodium chromate/anti-rust inhibitor....needs to be cleaned up working it WET) and fridge would be DEAD

Has it been raining...rain leak down from above (roof leak etc)?
Is it humid...condensation forming on sheet metal of fridge backside and dripping down?

Otherwise ...haven't a clue if food compartment drip tray drain line is DRY and not leaking from above either due to cracked drain line or drain line leaking at connection to drip tray
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #3

The leak is only where the red mark is from the corner of the sheet metal right below it. Nothing in the gas area is involved

Has to be condensation And now it has stopped. I wonder if This is related to going from on the road propane to AC power. Is there a process that creates condensation (external rear or outside) on the cool coil box area or for a few hours only and goes away

The other picture is turned sideways as the wood under the fridge showing water coming out from under the fridge shelf.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #4

Is the fridge staying cold? Leak around the door seals? Condensation container have a leak/overflowing? End of condensation hose plugged? Drip tray inside of fridge full of ice, cracked or missing? (Trying to think of other sources of water...)
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
Is the fridge staying cold? Leak around the door seals? Condensation container have a leak/overflowing? End of condensation hose plugged? Drip tray inside of fridge full of ice, cracked or missing? (Trying to think of other sources of water...)
Fridge and freezer is working perfectly, inside the fridge and seals are all dry.
NO ice maker either.

The plates are not dripping, the drain line from inside to the back compartment is not the source. Over 3 days the condensation would happen randomly a 1-3 times in 24 hours. I put a make shift foil drip tray in to keep an eye on the water volume. Once home I pulled the roof vent off to make sure nothing was blocking it. All looks clear in the compartment.

I can't think of the source of the water in the back other than if the cold side of the coils (see foil AC tape box in the picture) is not sealed, but here was never a drain for the cool side coils box at the bottom back of this unit hence the mystery. It is only clear condensation but much more than it should be to run into the floor of the rv. TO be clear it drips from the red mark in the picture then travels on the wood base under the fridge.

With the fridge working well, I'm going to put a makeshift drop pan as it has a half inch of space underneath. I can run a PVC tube siliconed from the tray into the bottom of the outside vent with a small drill hole......Not ideal but with the fridge working I don't see the value in pulling the fridge out or replacing it at this point with a small hassle. If i did not find a solution it would have clearly rotted the under cabinet in the fridge well.

This is a 3 year old TT so this is not what I'd call normal to be dropping so much condensation out of the back bottom edge.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precab View Post
I can't think of the source of the water in the back other than if the cold side of the coils (see foil AC tape box in the picture) is not sealed, but here was never a drain for the cool side coils box at the bottom back of this unit hence the mystery.
Does this only happen when running on LP, or does it also happen on AC? (Burning LP can cause condensation of sorts in some cases, though I've not witnessed it on my dometic.)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

I'm beginning to think that backside of fridge is NOT properly sealed and condensation is result of warm air coming in contact with 1 of 2 evap coils
(Low temp evap coil/Freezer or high temp evap coil/Food compartment)

Warm air/cold coil---condensation drips down
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #8

Condensation

I am sensing the same thing ...the coil box is not sealed well.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precab View Post
I am sensing the same thing ...the coil box is not sealed well.
With just about everything else eliminated, I think that's the only possible source left.

Tags
dometic, fridge, leak, rear