Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #1

I have a Dometic fridge (propane/electric) in my pickup camper. The unit is a 1993. Last year the fridge (when on gas)would occasionally "blow or go out" but it would start right back up.

Recently I have found that the gas portion of my unit will no longer stay lit. It lights right up when I turn it on - I can hear the gas start & see the flame but after a few minutes it quits. Fortunately, my check light works so I'm able to salvage my food & put it in a cooler.

Any advice from anyone???????

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #2

I have a Dometic fridge (propane/electric) in my pickup camper. The unit is a 1993. Last year the fridge (when on gas)would occasionally "blow or go out" but it would start right back up.

Recently I have found that the gas portion of my unit will no longer stay lit. It lights right up when I turn it on - I can hear the gas start & see the flame but after a few minutes it quits. Fortunately, my check light works so I'm able to salvage my food & put it in a cooler.

Any advice from anyone???????

Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The most simple area to address first are the connections on the control board on the back of the refrigerator and the lp gas supply. Make sure gas is on and no air is in the system to the ref. With some electronic cleaner remove clean and reinstall wiring, making sure all connections are tight. If this does not correct the problem you probably have a bad control board. You might be able to have a repair facility test it before buying a new one. Good luck and let us know.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #4

Thanks & I will try your suggestions this weekend. Do you know if I can remove the control board to have it tested or if it need to stay intact with the unit?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Anyone with a PAL tester should be able to test the board out of the refrigerator. Be sure to mark all the connections is you need to before disconnecting them all. THere should be a schematic on the back wall of the ref., if not mark the wires!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #6

I did check with a couple of RV shops to see if they could test my control board. One shop said they could but they said that they found that they often get false results with their tests (maybe they have bad equip? or don't know how to test properly? or that's just how it is sometimes??). The other shop said sure they can test it but wanted $50 (minimum charge). With a new board being only $100 I thought this was excessive.

Anyway, I think I got real lucky on this one! I also posted this problem on another RV forum and was referred to www.bryantrv.com/docs.html to get a manual for my fridge. I printed out the manual and found the instructions on how to clean it. It was filthy.....I pulled the burner out & dumped out at least a teaspoon of rusty dust. This may not sound like a lot but given the burner is a tube about 3/8 in diameter and only 3 or 4 inches long, it's quite a bit. I then blew the flue out with compressed air, removed the orifice & soaked both the orifice & burner in alcohol. I put it back together and it lit right up. I let it run for about 6 hours with no problems. My only cost was the $3.50 for the alcohol.

RV repairs can be costly - it's fun to be on the receiving end of a cheap fix for once. I also read in the manual that the burner should be cleaned once a year. I didn't realize this but will do so now going forward. I know preventative maintenance can save large costs in the future.

Thanks for your suggestions - it's nice to have these resources to make an easy fix simple for the average Joe!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #7

RV Wizard ... I think I spoke too quick on this one. I was out this weekend & the unit kept cutting out. I think you may be correct that it is the control board. I can "wiggle" the control board & actually make the unit click on & off....you can literally hear it click when it engages.

I didn't find any obvious loose wires so I guess the next step is to replace the control board, unless this symptom rings a bell for you and you have any other ideas.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #8

Dometic boards are notorious for unreliability. Get a Dinosaur board as a replacement.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dinosaur does make the best board and I use them when I can. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #10

I received my new Dinosaur board on Monday & installed it right away. I ran it Mon night & Tue am on AC & it worked perfect followed by running it Tue afternoon & night on gas - also worked perfect. Looks like the problem is solved. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Riverdog, thanks for letting us know that all is well now. Take care