RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

Dometic Furnace heater

hello, I have a 2020 Passport with a Dometic heater i don't see a model on it. I have read a few posts about purging and sail switches not working, other issues as well. Well its day 1 of 4 day trip, and the wind and rain kicked up. We turned heater on. Ran to town and I ran out of propane, it shut off. When we go back, I turned on new tank, running the stove now to bleed, running the propane water heater to purge the line, it fires up. The water heater is heating, i can hear it outside. I'm thinking the furnace heater should be purged.

Question:
does the furnace system detect NO FLAME and shut down the propane?

should I keep finance on to purge air, or for 2 min, then off, on for 2 min and off. Non knowing how long it will run before detecting NO FLAME and shut down.

thx
jim
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Furnace just like water heater and fridge burner controls instantly detect 'no flame'
Each appliance circuit board will shutdown their respective gas valve....not the Main propane supply
Typically furnace will make 3x attempts to light/prove flame then 'lock out'
Reset by turning thermostat Off then back on for more attempts to fie up

After running out of propane or no propane usage for a while it can take SEVERAL attempts before flow/pressure is established at each appliance

Propane system is only 0.39psi (11"WC) ---you can whistle harder then that

Try again.....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Furnace just like water heater and fridge burner controls instantly detect 'no flame'.
thanks, i have heat now. so it was my on, run for 2 min then off, on run for 2 min, then off cycles that purged it... not when i had let it run for 5 min or so... I figured there might be safety in the new furnaces .
Old 10-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
thanks, i have heat now. so it was my on, run for 2 min then off, on run for 2 min, then off cycles that purged it... not when i had let it run for 5 min or so... I figured there might be safety in the new furnaces .
Not just new ones.......
Flame detection safety features be they thermocouples or spark electrode via flame rectification has been used for decades
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

Good information here. I've never had an issue even though I disconnect and remove my tanks each trip. But I do run the gas stove first thing when I hook back up, and then leave the refrigerator running 24 hours before leaving. Given their proximality to the furnace that probably clears the lines.

As an aside I've always thought it odd that the furnace is in such proximity to the refrigerator, but I guess for systems without a permanent full time gas supply that makes sense.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
As an aside I've always thought it odd that the furnace is in such proximity to the refrigerator, but I guess for systems without a permanent full time gas supply that makes sense.
It would be interesting for those who have rear kitchens share where there heaters are located? I dont think it would be a fridge / heater issue as much as what do you do with space under a fridge? make a heater box.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
It would be interesting for those who have rear kitchens share where there heaters are located? I dont think it would be a fridge / heater issue as much as what do you do with space under a fridge? make a heater box.
Yes, I also think it's a function of where to "build" a box for the furnace. Our current MH has the furnace under the refrigerator. Our previous MH had the refrigerator on a slide and the furnace was located on the opposite side of the coach, in a space under the kitchen cabinets, in close proximity to the stove top gas supply line.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dometic, furnace, heat, heater