Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Angry Dometic Ice Maker Water Line

We have a Dometic Mdl RM2862 fridg with an ice maker. As always, I always remove the solenoid valve in the fall and re-install in the spring. That was Saturday morning, and in installing the line from the solenoid up to the back TOP of the fridg, the line sheared near the plastic thumb nut. Not only that, after cutting back the shielding, I discovered the line is about the quality of 5 cent aquarium air line!!! Now, to change out the line, the whole fridg must be removed.

Since I don't use the ice maker in the winter I wanted a new line installed that does not have a heat trace on it. I called Dometic, and they said that the water line always must be heat traced. So I'm looking at about $250 in labor to change the line and "probably" another $50 to $100 for line, which I doubt will last 5 years, since Dometic says they have not changed the line. The fridg must be completely removed to get to the top of the water line.

I tried using a 3/16" barbed hose coupler to splice the tubing, and even with the coupler filed down considerable, the water line just split when I put in the coupler.

Any ideas on why a standard poly line (like what is used on home ice makers, and the water line that comes up from Moho water system to solenoid input?

Has anyone done anything about not being able to turn the plastic thumb nut, on the water line (from solenoid to upper top back of fridg) without twisting the line. The nut does not slip on the line, so when the nut is turned the water line also twists. I guess doing this 10 times (5 on and 5 off) the line just gave out. I stripped back shield for about 3 inches, and I was able to "cut" the water line just by pinching it with my fingers, NO fingernails.

Looking for comments?
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When that happened to mine I assumed it was because I had drained the lines for the winter but failed to unplug the heat line. I may have just been lucky but I was able to use one of the barbed connectors with no problems. For the last 3 or 4 years I have just removed the line at the barbed connector rather than unscrewing the nut and twisting the line. Maybe if you go back further on the line you will find a section of good hose. I don't have the motorhome at home right now but I am pretty sure I am back a lot further than 3 inches then I just spliced in a piece of new line.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just had our's replaced to the tune of $420. I could have bought a truckload of ice for that. Live and learn.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill,
I'd like to say I've been there and done that, but all I can say is that I've been there and am still there! Living in South Florida, my line lasted 4 years and collapsed, just like in your OP. Therefore, don't blame your winterizing tasks on the line breaking. The line is the poorest quality I have ever seen. The heater may have something to do with the deterioration. Unfortunately, all I can do is lend a shoulder to cry on. I took the ice maker completely out of the freezer. This provides a bit more room for the wife to stuff additional supplies.

I do not need to winterize. Like you I'd like to install a high quality line with no heater wrap.

Where the line exits the freezer, there is a right angle piece of hard plastic that the vertical feed line attaches to. This is out of sight and out of reach. If I could get this piece off, I could reverse feed the new line back down through the coils.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My question has always been, "why can't we replace the plastic line with copper"? I haven't had to replace mine yet but I know the day is coming.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
$3 Fix

sorry to chime in so late!
I just replaced mine three days ago with part fron Ace Hardware and my total was 3 dollars but the line i replaced was only 8 inches long but they had all new flanges and end fittings, as well as the tubing to do the job

I have a 2007 HR Endeaver with the big 2 door Dometic with ice and water in the door.......Scary project that turned out to be easy

Take care
trouble&rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey! I think that is a real possability by the looks of the fittings
trouble&rose is offline   Reply With Quote