Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dometic NDA 1402 Thru Door Ice and Water Service

My NDA1402 Refrigerator and Freezer system have worked well for the past 5 years I have owned it. Last trip out my ice maker and thru door water dispenser quit working and I believe the issue may be a blown or dirty fuse. I think this because I can not hear the solenoid open when I press the water delivery handle in the door. I am seeing no error codes of any kind and otherwise the system continues to operate flawlessly.

The wires servicing the two water solenoids route into a small fuse box mounted directly above the main power module board. I can not seem to get that fuse box door open.

Anyone have experience with removing the cover on this fuse box? I see no obvious release tabs or other features that would release the cover.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Your Dometic 1402 Power Module has a screw at top that requires loosening. If original. the screw should retain with cover. There are two tabs that might have to be pressed in near bottom of left and right side. Cover is tougher to get back on than off. Carefully tuck wires near bottom of cover as you put it on. Have a few pictures of cover to help you. Check the 3-amp blade fuse third from the left when you get the cover off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Screw Location.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	133927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Off.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	133928  

shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Your Dometic 1402 Power Module has a screw at top that requires loosening. If original. the screw should retain with cover. There are two tabs that might have to be pressed in near bottom of left and right side. Cover is tougher to get back on than off. Carefully tuck wires near bottom of cover as you put it on. Have a few pictures of cover to help you. Check the 3-amp blade fuse third from the left when you get the cover off.
Thanks for your response!

I have been able to get the cover off the power module and have checked all of the blade fuses in there and they are fine. On my system, there is a second terminal fuse box just above the power module. (see attached photo) That is the guy I can't get open. If I remove the screw on the left of the unit, the whole terminal block wants to come away from the wall but I think that the cover should some how just snap off. On the power module cover there is an embossed figure that reads " to remove cover" and shows inserting a screw driver in the small rectangular slot on the side of the cover but that is on the power module cover and all I did to remove cover there was to remove screw as you suggested above. Its possible that figure is there to represent how to open the fuse box cover in the unit above the power module since it also has a small rectangular slot on the left side. I have inserted a small screw driver into that slot but no joy releasing the cover. Any further thoughts? I don't want to get too aggressive with pulling on it because its old (like me) and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks again for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6448.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	133940  
Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfi View Post

I have been able to get the cover off the power module and have checked all of the blade fuses in there and they are fine. On my system, there is a second terminal fuse box just above the power module. (see attached photo) That is the guy I can't get open. If I remove the screw on the left of the unit, the whole terminal block wants to come away from the wall but I think that the cover should some how just snap off. On the power module cover there is an embossed figure that reads " to remove cover" and shows inserting a screw driver in the small rectangular slot on the side of the cover but that is on the power module cover and all I did to remove cover there was to remove screw as you suggested above. Its possible that figure is there to represent how to open the fuse box cover in the unit above the power module since it also has a small rectangular slot on the left side. I have inserted a small screw driver into that slot but no joy releasing the cover. Any further thoughts? I don't want to get too aggressive with pulling on it because its old (like me) and I don't want to break anything.

Follow-up
Still have not been able to remove the cover on the upper fuse box. Did check all of the fuses on the lower box, pulled each out, tested and reseated each. Apparently the issue was dirty contacts on the fuse blades because my thru door functionality has been restored.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Glad to hear you solved your problem. I do not have the thru the door dispenser on my Dometic 1402. Do not have the additional fuse box your photo shows. Thanks for sharing that photo.

This forum is a great place to learn.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
YC1

Just a note of caution. I believe those solenoids are 110 volts so be careful.

You could easily have cleaned a corroded connection while moving the wires about.

My darn ice maker has given me nothing but problems. I have replace the ice maker itself and the valves about three times.

I get ice dams all the time. With the ice maker out I still get water coming out of the fill tube and an ice dam forms. I now just fill the ice maker bucket and forget the automatic . We plan on replacing the refer with a residential soon so that will solve it.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Just a note of caution. I believe those solenoids are 110 volts so be careful.

You could easily have cleaned a corroded connection while moving the wires about.

My darn ice maker has given me nothing but problems. I have replace the ice maker itself and the valves about three times.

I get ice dams all the time. With the ice maker out I still get water coming out of the fill tube and an ice dam forms. I now just fill the ice maker bucket and forget the automatic . We plan on replacing the refer with a residential soon so that will solve it.
If I run my ice maker before the unit is fully pulled down to working temp in the freezer compartment, I get ice dams as well. I usually leave the thing off until I am set up in my spot and know I am going to be there for at least a few days. If I know i am going to be moving soon I shut off the ice maker a day or so before I move to be sure the tray has been emptied fully. Ice dams will form if you have unfrozen water sloshing around in the ice maker while you are moving down the road.... trust me, been there done that
Old 07-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
YC1

Thanks Jim. I too shut it off when traveling and know it has to get to 20 degrees before working. But even with the ice maker out there seems to be some seepage past the control valves. I have replaced them about three times and am just giving up. I modified the ice tray so putting ice in is easy. I also bought some amazing ice trays that can be placed just about anywhere and can ever be placed on their sides. They keep up but are a bit slow to freeze due to their design.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Thanks Jim. I too shut it off when traveling and know it has to get to 20 degrees before working. But even with the ice maker out there seems to be some seepage past the control valves. I have replaced them about three times and am just giving up. I modified the ice tray so putting ice in is easy. I also bought some amazing ice trays that can be placed just about anywhere and can ever be placed on their sides. They keep up but are a bit slow to freeze due to their design.
I forgot to mention that I also turn off the water supply at the back side of the unit when I am traveling. Not sure if that helps or not but that is my practice.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfi View Post

Follow-up on second "fuse box" above power module box. Turns out that this second box is only present if you have thru door ice/water dispensing. Its referred to as a "control switch" module and there is one 3 amp fuse in there that powers the features in the thru door dispenser.

Tags
dometic, door, service, water