RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Dometic refrigerator runs on electric but not gas

My Dometic RM2652 refrigerator runs fine on electric but not gas. I have searched this forum and others but no answer yet. Iíve checked everything I know to do but no luck. I have cleaned the burner and orifice. The Thermocouple is getting 35 mV. The flame will come on for 45 seconds and go out for 2 minutes. It will do this 3 times and then the check light will come on. Sometimes it will burn longer but after several cycles the check light comes on again.
Could it be the gas pressure? Maybe the flame is not hot enough.
Also I just checked the voltage at the 12 volt terminal. The DC voltage was 12.5 and the AC voltage was 29. The manual says it should not be over 6 volts AC.
Hoping someone can help.
Dan
Dan4Okee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #2

You may already have this manual

https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf

If the propane tank has been filled lately or unit not used in quite a while you may have air in the line. You can continue trying (could take a lot of attempts) as you are doing or crack the gas line to purge.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #3

"Also I just checked the voltage at the 12 volt terminal. The DC voltage was 12.5 and the AC voltage was 29. The manual says it should not be over 6 volts AC."

IF you are getting 29VAC on the 12VDC System then the DC supply is either coming from an Unfiltered circuit OR the Converter is failing

AC 'Ripple' will cause havoc on DC controlled circuit boards and can damage them

Need to check were the DC supply is coming from ----converter DC output has some unfiltered fuse positions and Filtered Fuse positions
DC to Fridge(water heater & furnace) NEED to come from the Filtered section

Brochure for a Georgie Boy Maverick states a 55A Converter but doesn't list brand/Model

What Brand/Model is your AC Power Panel and Converter??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Dometic refrigerator runs on electric but not gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
You may already have this manual

https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf

If the propane tank has been filled lately or unit not used in quite a while you may have air in the line. You can continue trying (could take a lot of attempts) as you are doing or crack the gas line to purge.

Garry, thanks, I do have that manual and it has been a big help. I had been using the refrig on gas a couple of months ago and it ran out. My problems did start after I refilled the propane tank. I think the air has been purged plenty because of using the range and of course the refrig on gas.
I have been wondering if the gas pressure could have changed after the fill up. I need to find a way to check the pressure.
Dan
Old 10-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
mine was the igniter board...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #6

"IF you are getting 29VAC on the 12VDC System then the DC supply is either coming from an Unfiltered circuit OR the Converter is failing

AC 'Ripple' will cause havoc on DC controlled circuit boards and can damage them

Need to check were the DC supply is coming from ----converter DC output has some unfiltered fuse positions and Filtered Fuse positions
DC to Fridge(water heater & furnace) NEED to come from the Filtered section

Brochure for a Georgie Boy Maverick states a 55A Converter but doesn't list brand/Model

What Brand/Model is your AC Power Panel and Converter??[/QUOTE]"

Old-Biscuit,
My converter is a WFCO 55 amp, model WF8855, and the power center is a Cheng 8914. The converter looks to have only one 12 volt connection. So I don’t know if it’s filtered or not.
I decided to check the AC voltage with the shore power disconnected. It still had 26 mV. What could cause that? I checked my son’s truck battery and it showed 29 mV. So I guess that must be normal for unfiltered current or maybe it’s my voltmeter.

This has been a frustrating problem for 2 months. Most of the time, it has acted as I described in my first post. Yesterday, I had to take it to town and the refrig worked all day. Again this morning , I tried it on gas and it has been working so far. On shore power the refrig would go to -10 degrees and on gas it’s about -8 degrees. I’m afraid it will fail me again as soon as I go boondocking.
Thanks Dan
Old 10-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #7

You stated in 1st post:
"The DC voltage was 12.5 and the AC voltage was 29. The manual says it should not be over 6 volts AC."

Now you are stating 26mv....that is NOT an issue
AC Ripple is NOT occurring to any extent to cause ANY issue.

millivolt vs volts....BIG difference
Old 10-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You stated in 1st post:
"The DC voltage was 12.5 and the AC voltage was 29. The manual says it should not be over 6 volts AC."

Now you are stating 26mv....that is NOT an issue
AC Ripple is NOT occurring to any extent to cause ANY issue.

millivolt vs volts....BIG difference

Sorry, I meant: "I decided to check the AC voltage with the shore power disconnected. It still had 26 AC Volts. What could cause that? I checked my sonís truck battery and it showed 29 AC Volts. So I guess that must be normal for unfiltered current or maybe itís my voltmeter."
Big difference!
Thanks Dan
Old 10-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #9

AC Ripple is measured on a DC System using a voltmeter SET to AC Voltage

W/O Shore power (or any other source of AC) there can NOT be AC Ripple on the DC System

Back on topic,,,,fridge lights off the flame goes out...3x and check fault light
Thermocouple measures 35mv
Then it sounds like thermocouple connection or circuit board issue because Circuit board is NOT sensing the flame proving (thermocouple mv signal)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I experienced a similar problem and finally took my coach into the shop. The tech found the gas pressure was quite low. He checked all components, cleaned everything up and reset the gas pressure and all is well as we speak. Good luck!
Mjw2347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, electric, gas, refrigerator