Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Dometic refrigerator shutdown, Newbie mistake

We brought our new-to-us 1997 Southwind Storm home and parked it in the driveway. Problem is, driveway is on a grade of about 8 deg. After reading the manual which says not to run refrigerator on a grade, I moved the coach to a flat area. However the Dometic 2 door fridge does not work. It worked when we bought it and on the 90 mile drive home.

I have cycled it several time, cycled all circuit breakers, and cycled the gas on/off switch. I let it sit overnight hoping to settle gases – works for me. I would like to hear any possible insights or suggestions from the forum on what might have happened and/or how to fix it. Any help greatly appreciated
Dutch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BTDT last summer, I had to have the cooling unit replaced (I think that's what they called it). I finished my trip by buying plastic containers to put in both sides on each shelf then filling them with ice and emptying each tray as they started to fill with water.

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If you know of a good bumpy road in your area take a ride on it a few times and see if it will break up the blockage in cooling coils.
Try with out it on than try will it on LP gas and see if it helps get her going.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 1997 should not go bad that quick. a 79 would be a different story. It is possible that it is bad, but first make sure it is lit. listen for boiling at the cooling coils in back. If it is boiling you have a problem. If not, try hitting the coils with a block of wood. Kind of sharpely but not enough to dent the coils.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can try removing the whole unit and set it on one side, them the top and them the right side. Leave it in each position for about an hour. Finally turn it upright and reinstall it. It may or may not fix it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your troubles, but welcome to the forum!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

Have you looked at the manual and performed any troubleshooting?

Could be loose wire.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I tried the ones that were within MLOC ( my level of confidence). That'll never make it into the dictionary of slang. We are land cruising newbies so this - I'm sure - won't be our last sticky wicket. See You Down the Road (SYDR), Dutch6
Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch6 View Post
We brought our new-to-us 1997 Southwind Storm home and parked it in the driveway. Problem is, driveway is on a grade of about 8 deg. After reading the manual which says not to run refrigerator on a grade, I moved the coach to a flat area. However the Dometic 2 door fridge does not work. It worked when we bought it and on the 90 mile drive home.

I have cycled it several time, cycled all circuit breakers, and cycled the gas on/off switch. I let it sit overnight hoping to settle gases – works for me. I would like to hear any possible insights or suggestions from the forum on what might have happened and/or how to fix it. Any help greatly appreciated
We own a 82 Pace Arrow with a Dometic Fridge (original) and we have found that it really only works on the LP gas. Never has worked on the electric. Have you tried to stick a small wire up the flu ? wiggle it around gently the previous owner told us how to do it and some rust or junk will fall out. It is siting in the driveway running @ 32-35 degrees for the last month. (my man cave when not on the road) Nothing has frozen yet and the pop is icy cold (yum). It is pretty level but the bubble isn't completely in the middle on the level. JMO
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure by posts but do you have 12v to the refrigerator? That is needed to ignite the burner for gas and it is also needed if operating on 120v. If you are operating on gas, you should be able to hear burner from the rear of refrigerator, with the access door off. If you cannot hear gas, are you getting gas any where else, like the gas range? Test at the range to confirm that you are getting gas. Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #11

Dutch with the vehicle being new...you do know it can take up to 8 hrs for any cooling to be felt? The more open and closed with the doors to check for cooling will make a longer cool down time.

These fridges do work and can work well....they just do not recover from doors being open, a large amount of warm foods being put in them or being off level.

Precool and prefreeze as much food as possible when planning a trip.

Always level and turn fridge on 24 hrs before time to leave
Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Problem Resolved, $1,500 later.

Thanks to all who responded with analysis and comments. It turned out that the operating-off-level issue was irrelevant. Norhtgate RV - the best RV shop in Chattanooga should you need one in this area - found a leak in the cooling unit, $$$. So, now we have a new Norcold which seems to work fine. See You Down the Road, Dutch

Tags
dometic, newbie, refrigerator