Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Dometic RM 1350 Fridge After Cold Winter

Near the end of the COLD winter our fridge quit working. It's 4 years old and has been fine till it was - BURRR for several days. Was told it froze up and would be fine but it hasn't recovered. Had to move to a house about the same time but no fault of the camper and am finally getting back to fixing it.

The road tech came and looked but now refuses to return our calls. No ammonia smell at any time

Any ideas ??? Someone said it should reset by going down the road . Someone else said turn it upside down for 24 hours?????

Thanks
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Near the end of the COLD winter our fridge quit working. It's 4 years old and has been fine till it was - BURRR for several days.
Any ideas ???
Thanks
mikell
More info is needed before any one can help you.
Does it not work at all or is it firing on LP but not cooling?
Do the 12VDC interior light and the indicator lights work?
Is the heat element drawing electricity when you switch it the fridge to 120VAC power?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

LP is running you can hear it

Was trying on elect but switched to propane to check

Still not cooling
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #4

60 after being on propane all night.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
60 after being on propane all night.
mikell
If the LP burner is operating, (burning), and the fridge isn't cooling, I would guess that the "absorption cooling unit" of your Dometic RM 1350 fridge has failed.
see: http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-a...tmlrefigerator
Good luck.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
rpk

"Frozen" Dometic

I had the same problem. A lot of research and I noticed that for quite a few folks the problem resolved itself when they hit the road. Eureka! I stuck an Oster vibrator up into the coils and the fridge was operating fine in 24 hours. Heating the unit does not redissolve the coolant - you have to shake it.

rpk
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #7

So far 20 miles down the road hasn't helped.

Did you leave the unit on when you put the vibrator on it ?

First issue now is the water heater has decided not to do anything since the move. Neither gas or electric. Thats tonights project

AHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

Pulled the fridge and it's actually too big to go out the door without taking it apart. Laid it on it's side and heard liquid flowing through the pipes. Left it for a couple of hours then put it upside down for the night. Today we laid it on the other side for a while then stood it upright.

Ran 12 volt to it and plugged the 120 in while it was standing in the middle of the living room and it's down to 53!!!!! WOOO HOOOO nearly $1000 saved by turning it upside down for 24 hours.

Tomorrow we'll wrestle it back into it's hole
Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Wow that's great...all that work paid-off.

Odd that jus' cold temps could affect the solution like that! Scary stuff.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #10

38 This morning and turned it down all the way . Will put it back in the hole tonight. Now I know why the repairman wouldn't work on it. I will not go out the door and a new cooling kit is about $900 delivered. He didn't want that much headache. And how do you tell somebody that they should just turn it upside down for 24 hours to fix it.

But it worked

Last winter was it's 4th and no issues till this year when it was a brutal -40 out

If anybody needs a walk through on what to do I will type it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #11

Back in hole except the last 2-3" just want to make sure everything is fine. Haven't re hooked the gas line it's capped so there's no problem. Seems fine 35 this morning. Going to bolt it down when we get back Sunday and hit the road again Monday and enjoy the $1000 give or take I saved.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #12

I'll bet you're fixed. I put fans inside & outside my 15 year old Nocold last month and now it's ruins so efficiently even in hot temps I'm quite surprised. It sure wasn't so good in Florida this last winter.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #13

10 Days and still working fine. Several people in our park had the same issue and they either bought new or replaced with home style units.

A lot of people shaking their heads
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #14

...and we think this is all because of extraordinary temperatures?

I'd not have thought that but proof is proof....

Tags
dometic, fridge, winter