Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Dometic RM1350 Refrigerator Mystery

Hi all, newbee here with a refrigerator problem.
Problem: Refrigerator will not start on gas if shore power is off.
With the shore power (50amp) plugged in, it runs fine on electric power.
With the frig running on electric with shore power plugged in, unplug the refrigerator from the back, the gas comes on, ignites & works fine.
With the refrigerator running on electric, unplug the main 50 amp shore power, it will not switch to gas and start.
I checked the battery with a multimeter & it is 12.85 volts.
Anyone ever have this problem or know what's wrong, or have an educated guess. Even an un educated guess will be fine.
Thanks to all.....
WhiskeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

Ok, I'll take a shot. Maybe your gas transfer is not turned to the auto position. The auto and LP lamps both have to be on for the automatic switching system to work. Good luck Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WhiskeyRiver,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider checking for 12 VDC at the refrigerator control board. That is where the VDC is needed. If the VDC is not there or is less than 12 VDC check the circuit to see where the voltage is being lost.

Not knowing how your coach is wired, my belief is that VDC is being lost somewhere, when not plugged into shore power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your fridge control boards work on 12V for both AC and gas operation.
As Steve said make sure you have on fridge face control board its set for AUTO operation.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the answers.
Steved44 & 007, I do always leave the fridg set on auto as I have a perm spot and want it to switch to gas if a storm knocks out power or lose power for any reason.
GaryKD I think as you say something is reducing the 12VDC power, as it does switch & start on gas if you just umplug the fridg in the back with the 50 amp shore power plugged in. Unplug the 50amp & it won't switch over. Hopefully it will be something as simple as a loose ground. My thought is it shouldn't be a bad board since it switches & works fine with full shore power on.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whiskey the 120 plug in the back of your fridge only supplies 120 to the heating elements nothing else. Like has been said 12V operates everything else.
If its starting on gas your flame sensing ceramic may need cleaning wipe off with soft cloth and some cleaning fluid.
The probe may have a carbon buildup.
This PDF will explain your flame operation.

Late welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you leaving the 12 volt disconnect on? If you plug in the shorepower and the 12v disconnect is off, you will get 12v through the converter. This will power the board and cause the ref. to light. If you have the 12v disconnect off and are unplugged the board recieves no power and will not light.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #8

007, I understand the 120 runs the heating element of the fridg when on shore power & 12VDC runs the board, at least I think I do, as electric is not my strong suit. I unplug the 120 from the back & the fridg sences no power to run the heating element & it automaticly clicks & the gas igniter fires the gas and runs the fridg on gas. Then I plug the 120 back in behind the fridg, it switches back, gas shuts off and electric takes over and runs the heating element, just like it should. What I can't understand or is the mystery to me is why won't it do this when I pull the shore power plug, thus no power to the 5th wheel like it would be if the power goes off for any reason. Also pull the shorepower to leave the campground, the fridg should switch to gas while driving, but it does not.
Thank you for the PDF file. I printed it out to keep.
ga traveler, I am not sure what the 12 volt disconnect is. I have a 12 volt switch that shuts down all 12 volt power to the coach, but I never turn that off, only at the end of the season to remove the battery. Is that the disconnect you are referring to.
Thank you for the replys. I just can't seem to get my pea brain wrapped around why it works perfect by unplugging the 120 from the back, but does nothing when you unplug the shore power.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver View Post
007, I understand the 120 runs the heating element of the fridg when on shore power & 12VDC runs the board, at least I think I do, as electric is not my strong suit. I unplug the 120 from the back & the fridg sences no power to run the heating element & it automaticly clicks & the gas igniter fires the gas and runs the fridg on gas. Then I plug the 120 back in behind the fridg, it switches back, gas shuts off and electric takes over and runs the heating element, just like it should. What I can't understand or is the mystery to me is why won't it do this when I pull the shore power plug, thus no power to the 5th wheel like it would be if the power goes off for any reason. Also pull the shorepower to leave the campground, the fridg should switch to gas while driving, but it does not.
Thank you for the PDF file. I printed it out to keep.
ga traveler, I am not sure what the 12 volt disconnect is. I have a 12 volt switch that shuts down all 12 volt power to the coach, but I never turn that off, only at the end of the season to remove the battery. Is that the disconnect you are referring to.
Thank you for the replys. I just can't seem to get my pea brain wrapped around why it works perfect by unplugging the 120 from the back, but does nothing when you unplug the shore power.
You need to find out for sure if you are losing 12 volts when unplugged. First while the trailer is plugged in, remove the lower ref. cover. Look on the left side bottom and you will usually see a black and white or black and red wires coming into the ref. They will go into a small plastic connector. This is the 12v power conn. With a meter read the voltage. Now unplug the main power cord.(120v) Read the voltage again. It should still read 12v. (actually you will read higher the first time because the converter will be boosting the voltage to about 13.6) Try this and then get back and we will go from there.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";849713]Whiskey the 120 plug in the back of your fridge only supplies 120 to the heating elements nothing else. Like has been said 12V operates everything else.
If its starting on gas your flame sensing ceramic may need cleaning wipe off with soft cloth and some cleaning fluid.
The probe may have a carbon buildup.
[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1
This PDF[/URL][/B] will explain your flame operation.

Late welcome to irv2.
Just for the sake of keeping things straight here 007. the 120v also goes to the board to sense when the power cord is unplugged and signal the gas to light.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

How about this. When you unplug your shorepower is your 120V to the fridge really dead. Maybe it's plugged into an inverter powered outlet. On mine I have two 120V outlets behind the fridge. One on the inverter (for the icemaker) and one for the fridge which is not on the inverter. That would explain the not switching over thing. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #12

OK guys, sorry for the delay, but they were re-wiring the electrical at the place I have my 5th wheel and I could not get shore power to check as ga traveler suggested.
Quick recap: Fridge works find on Electric. Fridge switches to gas and runs fine if you unplug the 120 in back of the fridge with the shore power still plugged in. Fridge will not start on gas if you unplug the shore power, or if running on gas, unplug shore power and it shuts off.
I checked the power with a multi meter at the back of the fridge.
With the fridge running on electric, there was 13.49 volts at the back in the small plastic connector.
Unplug the fridge in the back from the 120 and it switches to gas and runs fine. Checked with multi meter and there was 13.49 volts at the back in the small plastic connector.
Now unplug the shore power and there is .50 volts (point 50) at the back in the small plastic connector. The battery is 12.90 volts. So that is why the fridge will not start with the shore power unplugged. There is no power to ignite the burner.
So the mystery is: "where is my 12 volts"
Thanks for any and all replys.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver View Post
OK guys, sorry for the delay, but they were re-wiring the electrical at the place I have my 5th wheel and I could not get shore power to check as ga traveler suggested.
Quick recap: Fridge works find on Electric. Fridge switches to gas and runs fine if you unplug the 120 in back of the fridge with the shore power still plugged in. Fridge will not start on gas if you unplug the shore power, or if running on gas, unplug shore power and it shuts off.
I checked the power with a multi meter at the back of the fridge.
With the fridge running on electric, there was 13.49 volts at the back in the small plastic connector.
Unplug the fridge in the back from the 120 and it switches to gas and runs fine. Checked with multi meter and there was 13.49 volts at the back in the small plastic connector.
Now unplug the shore power and there is .50 volts (point 50) at the back in the small plastic connector. The battery is 12.90 volts. So that is why the fridge will not start with the shore power unplugged. There is no power to ignite the burner.
So the mystery is: "where is my 12 volts"
Thanks for any and all replys.
You have probably already figured out that you are getting power from your converter to power up your ref. You are loosing power on the battery to ref. wire. First I would put a battery charger on my house battery and see if it works then. You can have a static 12.9 with no load. It can drop when a load is applied. If you don't have a battery chgr. Simply start your engine and let the alt. bring up the voltage. Then unplug the 120 volts and see if it lights. If it lights you have a battery problem. If you still have low voltage at the ref. you have a problem with the ref. 12v wire. Trace it back to the battery to find your problem. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #14

Well steved44, GaryKD, 007, & ga traveler the mystery is solved.
ga traveler you had it right on the May 8th post. The 12 volt disconnect switch was off as you suggested. Excuse me while I finish eating this bowl of "crow". I knew it was not off, but it was. Eating more "crow" now.... The switch, I thought was like a pipe valve, vertical & in line, power on, turn the switch 90 degree's & the switch cuts the power off like turning a pipe valve. Not so...
Over the week end, I bought a new battery so to remove the old & install the new, I turned the switch off, or I thought I was turning it off, only I was turning it on. I also unplugged the shore power just so no power or current to the coach while replacing the battery. Then before turning the battery disconnect switch back on, or in my case back off, I went around to plug in the shore power and before I could do it, I heard the fridge running on gas.
So its been the 12 volt disconnect switch all along.
Some times you just can't see the forrest for the trees....
Thank you all for your interest, help and answers.
Hey.. I'm a happy camper now and this crow I'm eating is starting to taste like chicken....