Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Dometic RM2351 Fridge not working.

Hi all,

I've got a Dometic RM2351 Fridge that does not appear to be working. It's part electric & part propane. It has electrical power (120v) at the fridges power cord. I've checked that with a volt meter. The panel lights on the front top of the fridge are on. The propane is on and the auto button in pushed on the fridge too. But the fridge does not make any sounds or get cold.

any ideas? I bought this trailer used, so I am not sure if it ever worked.

Thanks, Paul
grafgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Pull the small cover off the control box in the back of the unit and there is usually a small fuse or two back there. One of mine was bad (not blown, just not connected) and it acted something like that. You can find online manuals that suggest things to check on these units-you may want to look one up for your unit and print it out.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

I had a similar problem with a Dometic which turned out to be a circuit board. Got one from Dinosaur Electronics, on line, which I installed, w/ the directions sent with the board and all worked fine.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Google the model number with service manual and get a copy.

Follow the troubleshooting guude.

You need 12 volts for the control board to operate so it could be just a fuse.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

I've downloaded the service manual. The fuses check out and so does the heating element. I am definitely getting power to the lower control board. Bit,I get a bit confused on how to test the lower control board to see if it's functioning properly.

I have noticed that if I unplug the fridge from the power source and turn the fridge to auto, the propane burner lights. I ran it for a few hours yesterday, it did get cool, but not cold.

Paul
Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

It takes at least 12 Hours to get freezer and food compartment down to correct temps

With it in 'Auto' and plugged into 120V AC power source it will automatically run on the electric element.
Loose the 120V AC power with it in 'Auto' and it will swap to propane
Swaps back to electric element when 120V AC power restored

Run it in auto with 120V AC over night and then check if freezer and food section are cold-------
5A glass fuse on lower board is for the AC electric circuit and element
3A automotive fuse is for the DC controls........all panel lights/controls/propane etc. (needed for electric element to function due to controls)

Your model (2351) has a pre-set factory thermostat.....it uses the thermistor (probe on far right fin in food section) as temp sensor.
You can affect temps in food section by moving thermistor----overall affect 4-6*F
UP......more cooling
Down ...less cooling
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

It appears that I just wasn't giving enough time for my fridge to get down to the correct temperature. I know it's working on propane, but now I'm testing it on electric only, after shutting the gas off. I'll check it in the morning to see if the small container of water is still frozen in the freezer compartment.

paul
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #8

Absorption fridges are slow, and efficiency can be helped with proper air flow in the rear of the unit. Pop those panels (watch for wasps etc.) ensure there are no obstructions to the chimney effect. Some units have axial fan(s) back there to aid with the updraft.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

I still had frozen ice this morning after leaving the electricity on all night. So, I just wasn't patient enough waiting for the fridge to get cold. I'm new to these absorption units. I figured it would make some noise like my house fridge and it would be cold after 3 hours.

Thanks again for every ones help.

Paul
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Paul , also be aware that your fridge's cooling capacity drops considerably as outside temps get close to 100f. At high temps a fan in the back; or on the roof vent; ( if you have a roof vent ) to move air up through the vents is a necessity. .
Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafgulch View Post
I still had frozen ice this morning after leaving the electricity on all night. So, I just wasn't patient enough waiting for the fridge to get cold. I'm new to these absorption units. I figured it would make some noise like my house fridge and it would be cold after 3 hours.

Thanks again for every ones help.

Paul
No moving parts like a residential (compressor etc)
Only noise you might hear is cooling fan(s) in outside compartment IF fridge was installed in a slide out
And a 'gurgling' sound........which is one you DO NOT want to hear. That means the coolant flow is being obstructed.

Absorption fridges use 'natural circulation'
Takes several hours to start that process.
Best to turn on fridge day before any trips to allow for proper cooling

AND ALWAYS have fridge 'Reasonably Level' when operating so that the natural circulation and gravity flow is NOT disrupted.....off level will KILL it.
Fridge on when traveling is OK due to motion of RV
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
Hi we bought a evergreen ascend cloud c193bh travel trailer, I was wondering how long does it take for the fridge the kick in it's a Dometic rm2351 ever thing in on but not cooling what should I do to get it to start cooling.
kevin3401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge