Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Dometic RM2652 Fridge Problems

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have a 1996 Sundowner horse trailer with full living quarters. After returning home from a recent trip, I went to unhook the trailer, and discovered my electric jack would barely work. The battery on the trailer was almost 100% dead, which the battery is barely a year old. The trailer has a power source pc40 inverter/charger. Well, I figured out that when not plugged in to shore power, there was a pretty good draw on my 12v side. My immediate thought was a light got left on, which there is a ton of. All of those were off. I pulled the battery out and put it in my garage to charge. After charging, I reinstalled and it immediately started drawing down.

So, out comes the volt meter, and I started pulling 12v fuses one at a time to find what was drawing it down. After getting to the last fuse in the panel, a 20a, I figured out it was something in the appliance circuit. I cut power to the hot water heater, and still had the draw. I next removed the 12v power wires to the fridge and my power draw went away.

So, that's now where I am stuck. What would be causing the big drain on the 12v side of my fridge? It was drawing 0.50a. Enough that it would drain the battery very easily over the course of a day just sitting not being used.

It's a older Dometic RM2652. Serial number 62400619.

Thanks in advance for any help that could be provided in trying to figure this out.
ksstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
12V draw on the fridge should be minimal. All you need 12V is to run the boards and light the burner. Has the fridge been working fine on propane? The ignitor isn't clicking constantly is it? Is there a light that's stuck on in the fridge?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
12V draw on the fridge should be minimal. All you need 12V is to run the boards and light the burner. Has the fridge been working fine on propane? The ignitor isn't clicking constantly is it? Is there a light that's stuck on in the fridge?
I have never ran the fridge on propane. There is a switch on the fridge to switch between the 2. The first position it will run on 110v, and The other position it will switch to propane.

The ignitor isn't clicking constantly. It seems normal. The last thing I checked last night was the light. I put my phone in there on record, and watched the video after testing. Every time I shut the door the light went off normally. I'm lost at what to do!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Well, after more searching of the Internet, I believe I have figured out my problem. I found the climate control switch had somehow got switched to on. After reading the manual, it says to make sure this is turned off when not hooked up to 110v, as it will run continuously, causing a drain. After I switched it to off, I got the volt meter back out and my parasitic draw went from .54a, to .003. I switched it back on and it went back up to .54. So, needless to say, pretty sure I got it figured out! Happy day!!!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksstang View Post
Well, after more searching of the Internet, I believe I have figured out my problem. I found the climate control switch had somehow got switched to on. After reading the manual, it says to make sure this is turned off when not hooked up to 110v, as it will run continuously, causing a drain. After I switched it to off, I got the volt meter back out and my parasitic draw went from .54a, to .003. I switched it back on and it went back up to .54. So, needless to say, pretty sure I got it figured out! Happy day!!!!!
I always forget about that switch. Thanks for the update.

Tags
dometic, ems, fridge, problems