RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Dometic roof A/C: where to charge it up?

my roof a/c was working last year. this year, although the thermostat was set to the right temp, while genset was running, a/c refused to kick off. i am thinking the freon might be low, but where is the charge port? appreciate advice.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
They have to be modified to recharge freon, there are no charging ports. Find the right tech and he can probably solder some ports into the system.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
my roof a/c was working last year. this year, although the thermostat was set to the right temp, while genset was running, a/c refused to kick off. i am thinking the freon might be low, but where is the charge port? appreciate advice.
CountryFit
Unlike dash A/Cs and residential A/Cs most RV roof airs are not rechargeable, ...
Sadly they are a "throw away appliance", (even after some tech solders some ports into the system).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

If not starting then get a manual and voltmeter and check it out.

If low freon it would make noise or try...sounds like lack of power or bad control.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #5

'Refused to kick off' isn't much of description. What exactly are the symptoms?

In any event low freon is probably one of the least likely problems, and even if that is the case then typical rooftop RV A/C units are not designed to have the refrigerant refilled. It can be done but more often replacement of the unit is a better idea. But again, your problem is more likely something easily repairable, perhaps just a control board or start capacitor.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Low coolant would perhaps first show up by causing freezing up of the evaporator coil. They really aren't meant to recharge, it's an iffy fix to have ports added to add freon. I'd check the board and starting capacitor, if those items check out, it's probably time to replace it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

If you find a certified rv air conditioner tech they should have no problem recharging your air conditioner. All appliances on a rv can be repaired its cheaper to repair than replace.
Mobile rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile rv View Post
If you find a certified rv air conditioner tech they should have no problem recharging your air conditioner.
Good luck with that.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yepp that's a closed system.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Called a hvac wholesale supplier in the next town we were going which was Memphis. They recommended a guy that could do it and be far. I called him and told him what the wholesaler said. He met me there, fixed the leak and installed a charging port, and filled it with 410A. $125.00. Been working for over 4 months now.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile rv View Post
If you find a certified rv air conditioner tech they should have no problem recharging your air conditioner. All appliances on a rv can be repaired its cheaper to repair than replace.

Glad you joined, but saying, "All appliances on a rv can be repaired its cheaper to repair than replace." is a bit simplistic. An A/C rooftop unit costs from $420-650, according to size and manufacturer. A service call to evacuate, add ports, recharge, check and lube has got to cost about $200. That's about 1/4 to 1/3 cost of a new one and you still have a 15 year old air conditioner. Sometimes it's best to replace instead of repair. Many are finding this, especially in the case of the Dometic 1200 fridges. They are replacing with home fridges and sleeping without their asbestos pajamas!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
He met me there, fixed the leak and installed a charging port, and filled it with 410A.
Was the unit originally equipped with 410A? If not then I'd be keeping an eye out for a replacement.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Was the unit originally equipped with 410A? If not then I'd be keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Mack 8. Yes
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Community Moderator

thanks everyone. i was driving 440 miles yesterday a little overstretch, lol, but made it to thunder bay. now i am sitting down checking this board...

"refused to kick off", actually there was no noise from the roof units, just nothing. there is a due zone thermostat, could that be cooked due to the high temp when i was in las vegas? heat could do a lot of harm... is there a way to rule out thermostat failure? it's also made by dometic.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, roof