Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Dometic Roof Unit Stopped Blowing Cold

Weird one here I am wondering if anybody has experienced or can assist with...

During a recent trip, I noticed that the front AC unit was vibrating a lot. It was blowing cold, but shook the coach and made a lot of noise.

When I got to where I could work on things, I took off shroud and cleaned up the fins (not really anything on them actually) and checked balance of squirrel cages - all good. Then I went inside coach and checked the mounting bolts. Aha - two were so loose that the washers were jiggling. I tightened these to 20 inch-pounds and bingo - vibration gone.

Unfortunately, so too was my cold air. Fan still runs, but compressor never cuts on. I don't hear a hum, no breakers blowing or anything like that. I visually checked the capacitors and circuit board and do not see anything obvious. I have yet to actually electrically test the capacitors.

I find it hard to believe that the unit just decided to stop working on the same day that I cleaned it and re-secured it to the coach. SO... I am wondering, if, from all of this, anybody has a "wow - it could be ____" like something I might have messed up doing what I did.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
mojomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't imagine what you could have done to cause that, although it's just too much of a coincidence! It has to be getting 120VAC or the fan would not be running. Only other possibility would be the 12VDC fuse blown, but I wouldn't think the fan would run if that were the case. Try unplugging and replugging the flat telephone wires that go to the thermostat. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

My 2015 is in the shop now with the second Domestic gone bad. Waiting now to see if Domestic honors the warranty.
mikewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome and the ideas Joe. I checked fuses and breakers and they are fine. I also checked the telephone cable and it seems fine. My Dometic unit has two telephone cables going to the board but only one is hooked up. The coach had an AGS at one time, but when they inverters were changed out, that system was disabled. There are a few wires that were left disconnected (wrapped up without connectors on them) so I am assuming those are for the AGS - perhaps the other telephone wire is for that as well? I looked on Dometic's site and cannot find any documentation for the model I have so I am unsure what wires should be connected.

My plan is to spend more time figuring out the wires - the only thing that seems to make sense is that I accidentally disconnected something when I was working on tightening the unit to the roof.
mojomark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, roof