Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Dometic Toilet - The Down and Dirty

No matter how much we cleaned and sprayed disinfectant, we had a smell in the water closet. While camping last weekend, I bought a new base seal and the ball flange seal set from the Myrtle Beach Camping World. ($62.00)

I changed the base seal Saturday. I thoroughly cleaned everything and thought I had it. The next day, the smell was back. Next, I dug into the flange seal. It is two pieces. There is a silicone disk that seals around the flush ball, then a rubber disk on top of that one. Found the smell!!! The silicone seal was doing its job by holding water in the bowl but when flushing, waste water was going in-between the two seals and down the side of base. Not a lot but enough to put a small bead of waste water around the base of the toilet.

It's not a clean job but if you are having a smell that will not go away, check around the base of the toilet. These toilets have a false front so it makes a great hiding place for nasty.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #2

My 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW came with a Dometic Model 300 toilet. All plastic. In the 3rd season we started getting urine smell in the bathroom. Could not find the source. No apparent leaks, nothing. Eventually called Dometic. Turns out they had a bad run of these toilets (all plastic, remember?). Apparently it was a poor glue job, and the bowl could separate slightly from the base. Guess what? Liquids would collect in the outer shell of the toilet, and the smell escaped via the vent in the rear. It was out of warranty, but I was able to get a good buy on a Model 310 with a ceramic bowl. Easy to swap out. Problem solved.

But other than the odor there was never any sign of anything wrong. Although you could get a phone back behind there and shoot a picture of the insides, and you could see some of what was going on.

In other words, don't hesitate to contact Dometic directly about issues with their toilets. In my experience they do want to make it right. And when you get on the phone with them, you just might hear, "Oh, *THAT* problem! We know all about that one!" Also, it helps if you're under warranty, there's no hesitation to send out parts, etc.

Good luck!

Roger

P.S. We just love the Dometic Model 310 toilet. Much more solid. I would recommend that upgrade for anyone who has the plastic Model 300.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

I have two rubber seals on the flange, no silicone one. The original ones were rubber and replacements are both rubber. The ball seal had gone bad after 27 years. Nothing down the base fortunately.

One thing I wonder about; mine has a couple of overflow holes that apparently direct any overflow through a hole in the flange seals to down below the ball. Logically that would allow some aroma to come up, right? Unless there's a trap somewhere in the bottom section.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a bath and a half Landmark 5th wheel. The master bath has a Thetford Style 2 toilet. Nice quiet flush. The half bath had a Dometic, not sure the model. Very noisy flush and always smelled and of course it’s right over the tank which doesn’t help with the smell. Just put a new Thetford in there. Very quiet and worth changing just for that!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
My 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW came with a Dometic Model 300 toilet. All plastic. In the 3rd season we started getting urine smell in the bathroom. Could not find the source. No apparent leaks, nothing. Eventually called Dometic. Turns out they had a bad run of these toilets (all plastic, remember?). Apparently it was a poor glue job, and the bowl could separate slightly from the base. Guess what? Liquids would collect in the outer shell of the toilet, and the smell escaped via the vent in the rear. It was out of warranty, but I was able to get a good buy on a Model 310 with a ceramic bowl. Easy to swap out. Problem solved.

But other than the odor there was never any sign of anything wrong. Although you could get a phone back behind there and shoot a picture of the insides, and you could see some of what was going on.

In other words, don't hesitate to contact Dometic directly about issues with their toilets. In my experience they do want to make it right. And when you get on the phone with them, you just might hear, "Oh, *THAT* problem! We know all about that one!" Also, it helps if you're under warranty, there's no hesitation to send out parts, etc.

Good luck!

Roger

P.S. We just love the Dometic Model 310 toilet. Much more solid. I would recommend that upgrade for anyone who has the plastic Model 300.
My Dometic toilet is Model 210. It has the plastic base with a ceramic bowl. The leak was so small, water never came around the false front. It would evaporate leaving only the smell. The false front is only held in place by a small piece of Velcro at the bottom.

I see a lot of folks chasing sewer type smells. This is one more place to investigate. The evidence will be where the base and bowl are clamped together.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Dometic will no longer send replacements, have to replace at a service center

We had the same experience, we tried to track down the odor for a few weeks...then finally removed the toilet and found the liquid in between the inner and outer shell. Unfortunately it looks like Dometic, while acknowledging the problem, will no longer send a replacement to you. They now say you have to have it serviced in an approved service center for them to diagnose, request warranty replacement and then install. With a toilet this is not ideal and getting into a service center this time of year (let alone twice for diagnosis and later install) is ridiculous. This is highly disappointing and I let Dometic know this. I even reached out via e-mail in hopes that I just got someone who didn't want to oblige me via phone; same response though.

They have known of this issue since at least 2012 so I'm not confident in any of their other models. As others have explained there is small gap between the two pieces of the bowl right at the seal above the flush valve. I removed the gasket put in some gasket seal (RTV silicone) in this gap and replaced the seal...so far it has held. Once it fails I will purchase a new toilet and consider Thetford instead.

I'm assuming they have moved to this new approach betting that many will just purchase a new toilet to avoid the inconvenience of dealing with a service center and timing.
burt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt2000 View Post
We had the same experience, we tried to track down the odor for a few weeks...then finally removed the toilet and found the liquid in between the inner and outer shell. Unfortunately it looks like Dometic, while acknowledging the problem, will no longer send a replacement to you. They now say you have to have it serviced in an approved service center for them to diagnose, request warranty replacement and then install. With a toilet this is not ideal and getting into a service center this time of year (let alone twice for diagnosis and later install) is ridiculous. This is highly disappointing and I let Dometic know this. I even reached out via e-mail in hopes that I just got someone who didn't want to oblige me via phone; same response though.
Sad to hear that. When I contacted them, they were ready to ship me a replacement toilet immediately, until they figured out I was no longer under warranty. They were very supportive, but...

Frankly, I'd rather have the Model 310 that I put in to replace the original.

Roger
Old 08-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #8

Dometic Reply

I just heard back from Dometic after expressing my disappointment in their new policy and this was their reply below....a seemingly canned answer and no acknowledgment that many have experienced this same flaw from toilets in 2012 to now. I just wanted to share for everyone's awareness.
--------------------------------------------

I do apologize but this is the warranty process to get the toilet replaced under warranty.

We acknowledge your disappointment with the expense involved to repair your unit. Dometic endeavors to build quality products that will last for many years and be desired and respected by our customers. While it is reasonable to expect many years of trouble-free performance it is impossible for any manufacturer to assure that the product they manufacture will be free of defects beyond a reasonable warranty period.

The warranty policy has been handed down by our CEO and President and is to be strictly followed.
burt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
My experience with Dometic Customers

All, I having a problem with the Dometic toilet #320. It has been leaking around the base so I removed it from the coach and took it apart. Identified what looks like a design flaw between the base and the toilet bowl. The seal between these two ceramic pieces is comprised and urine leaks into the bottom part of the base and after time it builds up and overflows onto the floor under the base. Smelly problem...! I contacted Dometic Customer Service and after a couple of calls and well over two hours on hold was transferred to the Warranty Manager, Kristin. She reviewed my original receipt and rejected the claim for a replacement unit because it is 8 months out of warranty. I understand the policy but in light of the design flaw I asked for consideration and was arbitrarily slammed down in a rather arrogant (we don’t have a problem) fashion... Terrible customer service experience. Has anyone experienced this type of problem and if so did you get relief from Dometic corporate? Check out the below noted YouTube
Thanks! https://Youtu.be/71squwXaGNU
Old 08-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
The latest — Please check out this YouTube video on Dometic 300 series toilets. It is spot on and I have implemented the fix he recommends with hopes for an end to the leakage problem. Onward and upward... https://youtu.be/71squwXaGNU
Mjw2347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FWIW - We were camping with family this weekend and my brother in law started to notice the dreaded small from his Dometic 300 toilet. Remembering some posts on this site as well as some YouTube videos documenting the issue, I recommended he call Dometic. After about an hour on hold he spoke with a rep who was very knowledgeable. Long story short, after a few questions a replacement toilet was shipped out later that day, should be here in a week.

My brother in laws Camper is a 2018 Aspen Trail (Keystone). Dometic did cover the new toilet and shipping, but advised that since he was out of warranty if he needed it installed they wouldn’t cover the cost. Not a problem as we will install ourselves but a FYI for anyone reading.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
FWIW - We were camping with family this weekend and my brother in law started to notice the dreaded small from his Dometic 300 toilet. Remembering some posts on this site as well as some YouTube videos documenting the issue, I recommended he call Dometic. After about an hour on hold he spoke with a rep who was very knowledgeable. Long story short, after a few questions a replacement toilet was shipped out later that day, should be here in a week.

My brother in laws Camper is a 2018 Aspen Trail (Keystone). Dometic did cover the new toilet and shipping, but advised that since he was out of warranty if he needed it installed they wouldn’t cover the cost. Not a problem as we will install ourselves but a FYI for anyone reading.
We have a Dometic 506 Plus vacuuflush in our motor home and also have the constant urine smell even after cleaning everything over and over. Does anyone know if the 506 Plus model is also defective and suffering from the same problem?
Old 08-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I’ll be a contrarian here.
We bought our ‘02 Dutch Star 9 years ago. It had installed what I presume was the OEM toilet. I honestly can’t remember the brand, but it was only 14” high (uncomfortable), and had the flush pedal on the left as you face it. This left-leg flushing became a problem for DW (medical) after a couple of years. By then we were fed up with the low rise bowl as well.
Shopping for a comfy height toilet with right leg flush brought us to Dometic, and the elongated residential style bowl on the 320 sealed the deal. We bought, I installed, and it became our go-to seat, so to speak.
That was over six years ago, and we are still pleased with it. No odor, no leakage, no apparent design flaws, no problems at all. Should the need arise, I would buy another in a heartbeat.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When our Thetford was getting long in the tooth and needing repairs again, I went with A Dometic 320 as a recommendation from serval forums. My water flow and pressure to the toilet was per specs and the thing would not wash down the entire bowl as per their sales pitch. I finally got the place I bought from to take it back. Dometic was no help and wanted to down grade me to a model 310 and not refund any cost difference.

Then I got to reading of the leak issues on the Dometic and the fact that there are very few parts on the thing that can be replaced. I finally ordered the repair parts for my old Thetford toilet and repaired it for a lot less than the cost of the model 320.

My best advice is just avoid the 300 series Dometic JUNK.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, toilet