Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
don't forget the ice maker supply line in cold weather

Dont forget to protect your icemaker supply line during hard freezes. My coach got flooded when my supply line thawed. I ran the heater under the storage bays and did what I thought was all of the right things for a freeze. We live in the coach so we could not drain the water. Luckily we got everything dry including the furnace and all is well now
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we live in ours to and was wondering about the line
we had several days of 15-19 F and i assume the latent heat from the fridge kept it unfrozen.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Honestly I never thought about the icemaker line. When mine froze it did not damage the line or the (blue valve) place where the line connects It just poped the connection off . All that I had to do was unthread it and screw it back on , no leaks now at all. The worse part was the wet carpet , and the furnace ( under the refrigerator) got wet and would not Ignite.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are going to be using the coach in hard freezes, you should block off almost all of the outside ref. vent. Also make it so the ice maker will be making ice; empty the ice bucket if necessary before going to be. This will help prevent freezing water in the lines. Your water valve and line from it to the ice maker should have a heater wrapped around and along the line. If you find there is no heater you should have one installed. You will need 120 vac on by means of shore power, generator or inverter turned on to operate in freezing weather.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

I usually just shut off the water to the ice maker line and valve if its really really cold, unhook the lines at the valve and drain all the water out. That is a good idea though to just keep the ice maker running.

But I've also wondered how you could tell how much of the outside vanes to block off without hindering the frig from doing its job. What happens if you block too much of the outside venting there behind the frig? Can it harm the frig or will it just not cool as well and you'd have to closely watch the inside temperature of the frig?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I live in the Dallas area and had several days of a hard freeze. My motorhome is new and I didn't know what it would do, so I ran antifreeze in the water lines and put electric space heaters in the coach and water bay. When I inspected the water line for the ice maker, it had a white wire wrapped around the ice maker water line covered with blue tape. The wire was also wrapped around the solenoid valve. I am assuming that is heating wire to protect the line from freezing.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
I live in the Dallas area and had several days of a hard freeze. My motorhome is new and I didn't know what it would do, so I ran antifreeze in the water lines and put electric space heaters in the coach and water bay. When I inspected the water line for the ice maker, it had a white wire wrapped around the ice maker water line covered with blue tape. The wire was also wrapped around the solenoid valve. I am assuming that is heating wire to protect the line from freezing.
You are correct on the heater for the ice maker water line. It must have 120 vac power to be effective.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote