Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Dreaded Norcold NO CO error - Looking for help diagnosing

I have a Norcold 1201LRIM and after our last trip we parked it for a day (on a quite unlevel area) and then ended up getting a no co error. I figured it was just because of the fact that the RV wasn't that level so we moved it to a level spot and reset the error. However, about 12 hours the error came back. This summer we've noticed that on AC the fridge wasn't cooling as well (I did check the heating elements and the resistance was within Norcold's recommendations) so I reset the error and switched it to LP. It ran for about day or so and then got the error again.

So what I was looking for is some assistance in diagnosing the issue. Here is some more info:
- there is no yellow powder anywhere
- there is no smell
- we have a dinosaur board that was replaced this spring

Any help would be appreciated.

Darryl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
paz

The board has 2 fuses on it - a 12V automotive-type fuse and a 115V glass fuse. Check those first.

Is the red light on the recall box lit? If so, the box can be reset with a strong magnet. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where to hold the magnet, so maybe someone else will chime in soon.

If you reset the recall box and it trips again, it may be the cooling unit is shot so I would shut the thing down. The tell-tale yellow powder is sometimes hidden under insulation.

Bryant RV has service manuals and troubleshooting guided online. Scroll down the page to find the manual for the Norcold 1201. There are also instructions for resetting the board for the "NO CO" code; however, I think you can only do that once.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin View Post
I have a Norcold 1201LRIM and after our last trip we parked it for a day (on a quite unlevel area) and then ended up getting a no co error. I figured it was just because of the fact that the RV wasn't that level so we moved it to a level spot and reset the error. However, about 12 hours the error came back. This summer we've noticed that on AC the fridge wasn't cooling as well (I did check the heating elements and the resistance was within Norcold's recommendations) so I reset the error and switched it to LP. It ran for about day or so and then got the error again.

So what I was looking for is some assistance in diagnosing the issue. Here is some more info:
- there is no yellow powder anywhere
- there is no smell
- we have a dinosaur board that was replaced this spring

Any help would be appreciated.

Darryl
You may have a bad thermistor. I had the same problem a few months ago. Once I replaced the thermistor everything went back to working, but I have since also replaced the Norcold control board with the dinosaur. The dinosaur at least has a built in reset button which the Norcold did not.

Also confirm that both of your fans are running and you have good air movement across the condenser fins.

Here is a thread from a couple of weeks ago on the same problem.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...ng-216189.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ditto on the fans and make certain the vent is not obstructed.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

just fixed mine.first off there is a 6 step procedure mode to reset fridge you can get a print out from your norcold rv dealer but first check your ac power from behind unit mine tripped the ground fault inside my unit that feeds your fridge .I have 2 ground faults in my unit one by sink and one in bedroom.
email me if you need more help rolandh@mts.ner
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You may have a bad thermistor. I had the same problem a few months ago. Once I replaced the thermistor everything went back to working, but I have since also replaced the Norcold control board with the dinosaur. The dinosaur at least has a built in reset button which the Norcold did not.

Also confirm that both of your fans are running and you have good air movement across the condenser fins.

Here is a thread from a couple of weeks ago on the same problem.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...ng-216189.html
Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Ditto on the fans and make certain the vent is not obstructed.
THe challenge I'm having is that the weather is getting pretty cold - so not sure when the fans should kick on. . . .is there a way to tell?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin View Post
THe challenge I'm having is that the weather is getting pretty cold - so not sure when the fans should kick on. . . .is there a way to tell?
If I remember correctly, for the 1200 series the condenser temp sensor closes at 195 and opens at 165 degrees.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
If I remember correctly, for the 1200 series the condenser temp sensor closes at 195 and opens at 165 degrees.
Thanks. The fans did turn on so that's good.

I vibrated the coils yesterday around 5 pm and the fridge was still running this morning. The fun temperature was 37 degrees so maybe this one is beat now.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

you can only reset it once than there is a procedure you go through to reset your fridge.
it's about 7 steps get the procedure on line can't remember where I found it I have all of it on paper bit would take me days to type it.
you can also get it from your rv dealer
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold