Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #1

Dual Tank Propane Auto Cross Over

Hi guys!
I need to install a auto cross over system for my prop tanks.
Ive got two 30lb tanks (x2 7gal.) on a manual switch. Just got the TT and Im keeping it plugged in shore, and heater set to 45 over the winter as Im tinkering till spring! Being said, its getting regularly in the upper 20's so ill need a cross over. Searched for a relatively recent topic and couldnt find one.
So!
Please suggest your opinions for a dual tank auto crossover!

Best mid range price and quality!
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2022, 07:54 PM   #2

Buy a Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator and couple new pigtails
($60/Reg...$20/pigtail hoses-----AMAZON)

Valve in first propane cylinder, point Indicator towards first cylinder, valve in other cylinder
When 1st goes empty reg auto swaps to 2nd cylinder, Indicator goes from red to green, valve out/remove 1st cylinder for refill
Repeat
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Buy a Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator and couple new pigtails
($60/Reg...$20/pigtail hoses-----AMAZON)

Thanks Biscuit. Im assuming that the connections are pretty much standard across the RV industry? So I should be able to remove my old regulator and install this one?
Old 12-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #4

As Old Biscuit posted, you need a new regulater with crossover valve and a pair of pig tails to connect each tank. You may also need mounting hardware and a cover big enough for the two tanks.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Propane
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

Thanks Paul.
Should be ok if the regulator will mount to current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_080608.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	382807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_080619.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	382808  

Old 12-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is easy to install an auto switch over valve. Be sure and use a pipe dope or tape approved for gas use.

But the big question is why waste the propane keeping an empty RV warm. It is pretty simple to drain the water line and winterize the trailer. Then if you want to go to work inside the trailer, turn on the heat.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been there done that. Auto crossover worked great and at 2 a.m. with temps down real low and heater running, ran out of propane. Filled both tanks the next morning and turned the auto crossover to manual. I'd much rather go out and change the tank then run out again.

As the old saying goes, be careful what you ask for.

Now worry now-a-days with present heater that does not work on propane.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It is easy to install an auto switch over valve. Be sure and use a pipe dope or tape approved for gas use.

But the big question is why waste the propane keeping an empty RV warm. It is pretty simple to drain the water line and winterize the trailer. Then if you want to go to work inside the trailer, turn on the heat.

Ken

Hi Ken.
Its winterized. I keep the trailer heated to around 45deg. when Im not in it. Crank up the heat to around 65 when I tinker. If I know its going to be below 32deg. outside overnight, I crank it to around 70deg. for a few hours before dark. Its a four season TT and it holds heat well.

I guess I like the idea of keeping it from freezing inside. Keeping it at a minimum of 45deg. doesnt allow it to freeze through out the trailer. We are in the middle of winter with most nights getting down to mid twenty's. This week we'll have at least one sub twenty day. It costs about $7 a week, so no big deal.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
Thanks Paul.
Should be ok if the regulator will mount to current set up.

That current valve appears to be an auto change. See the the green ring. That will change to red during change over.

Test it by shutting off the tank the change over valve is pointing to and run the heater. Ring should change to red. Make sure both tank valves are open.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:33 AM   #10

Leesh, Ill check it out when the sun comes up. Pretty sure its just a fuel gauge. It goes green yellow red.

I went ahead and ordered the Cavagna Kosan 924Nand two new hoses. The regulator and hoses are about 15yrs old, so they are past due for a change out anyway. Ill keep this one handy for emergency's.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #11

I'll chime in on my "opinion" on this subject. I don't have any recommendations for type or brand, but I will share from personal experience

First, I am now on my 3rd trailer that has had the auto switchover propane regulator and the bottom line is, I always keep one propane tank turned off. When the first tank runs empty, I then turn the empty one off and turn the full one on. What that means is ... I don't use the auto switch over. Why?

Well, it took only 1 times (many, many years ago) to run both tanks empty in the middle of the night, (or an early Sunday morning) when the temps were cold enough we were running the furnace. Because it was Sunday, it was virtually impossible to get the propane tanks filled anywhere. Our location where we were camping make it difficult also.

I think we ended up driving 40-50 miles (one way) to find a location where we could get both tanks filled up (they were 30 pound tanks and not exchangeable at any local gas stations swap-tank sales.)

It was a hard lesson learned that RV furnaces run a LOT more propane than expected. And if running the furnace (plus gas water heater, plus gas refrigerator, plus gas stove), you can go through a 30 pound tank in cold weather pretty fast. You need to meticulously monitor the switch over indicator and catch it when it flips to red. If you don't, you run the risk of emptying both tanks before you realize it.

By keeping one tank closed all the time, at least you know when the first tank goes empty. Even if this is an inconvenience in the dead of winter with a foot of snow on the ground at 2:00 am. Trepping out into the snow with flip-flops on your feet and a bathrobe wrapped around you to turn on the second propane tank is STILL much more desirable than finding out BOTH are empty at 2:00 am with a foot of snow on the ground!

When you know one is now empty, this gives you a little lattitude in time to get it refilled before the second one goes empty.

THIS is the reason, even though we have switch over's on ours, I don't use it that way.

Then there was the time when one of my 30 pound tanks went bad. Some how, it started leaking. I filled the tank, and within 24 hours it was completely empty. Never smelled gas at all. After filling it 3 times, doing all sorts of experiments with it, I never, never figured out where it was leaking. And never had smells either.

If I had both tanks turned on at the same time, I would have never known there was a problem with one tank.

Switch overs are OK, if you are meticulous in monitoring them. If you are the type of camper that doesn't pay attention because your activities are just keeping you too busy, then you do NOT want to use this.

Anyway, this is my opinion from my own experience. There are equally as many or more folks who do like the automatic cross overs. But ... it is something to think about.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
Leesh, Ill check it out when the sun comes up. Pretty sure its just a fuel gauge. It goes green yellow red.

I went ahead and ordered the Cavagna Kosan 924Nand two new hoses. The regulator and hoses are about 15yrs old, so they are past due for a change out anyway. Ill keep this one handy for emergency's.

Good point about updating older propane equipment.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #13

Well my daughters been paranoid about snow the last few days and she took my pickup to work. Guess where my TT keys are..
I found my extra set and looked at the manual for my current regulator. As suspected its a manual cross over, the indicator at the top being a fuel gauge. The new regulator arrived today and if its not to bad weather wise, Ill put it on tomorrow.

Dutch, I see your view and agree with it. I am pretty assiduous, adding that since its winter Im learning all I can about this 15yr old TT Ive had for a few months until spring comes. Currently I need the cross over because I dont have any way to tell how full the tanks are, and I need the furnace to keep a low degree of heat. Ill keep an eye one it. Spring through Fall next year it wont be as important.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #14

Happy Holidays All!

Installed the cross over regulator today while I was making dinner. Easy, but had to remove some existing supports to twist it off. Found some bubbles that a good twist took care of. Everything running as before!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221225_135759.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	383301  

Tags
propane, tank