Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What RV has a 100+ gal holding tank?????
I’m pretty sure my grey tank is 70 gallons and my black tank is 50...so that’s 120 gallons.

I put a dump station inside my shop (and one outside as well) to dump my tanks. I’ve never dumped full tanks, just a bit of wee wee and water from the last leg of our trips, plus a bit of grey water. This past week, I think I did dump 20 gallons of black including a few buckets of rinse water plus a bit over a half tank of grey because we were staying I the rv while some work was done on the house. The #2 was handled at the pool house, so none of that. We only use happy camper, so no chems to gum up the works. We’ve had no problems, and our friends who do the same have had no problems.
RamblingRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #58

Since I don't use any chemicals in my black or gray tank I see no problem with dumping into a septic tank. The trees and grass will appreciate it. As Erma Bombeck said, "The grass is always greener over the septic tank"
Old 05-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #59

My Jacuzzi bathtub holds over 100 gallons of water and I've never thought twice about pulling the drain on that. Not sure why people are so concerned with putting 100 gallons into the septic too quickly.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #60

We pump our RV and boat into our septic. Have been doing for 3 years and no issues. We are only 5’ away.
jillmerriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
When we were emptying and selling our house we lived in the RV. We drained gray to a field via PVC pipe and honey wagoned the black tank to our septic tank with a garden tractor. The buyers of the house ordered a septic inspection and it passed with flying colors. No chemicals ever added in 17 years, but also, no garbage disposal in the house.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #62

We dumped into our septic system for years

It was a 3 compartment unit however any system in good condition and with a good leach field should easily handle the batch loading

Use something like RidX to ease your concerns

FOG and soap scum are enemies of the septic and fiber builds up over years requiring pumping occasionally
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
My Jacuzzi bathtub holds over 100 gallons of water and I've never thought twice about pulling the drain on that. Not sure why people are so concerned with putting 100 gallons into the septic too quickly.

It's good to know and understand your septic system along with it's limitations. If you abuse it, the cost/damage will show up later! Not many septic systems are designed for a 100 gallon quick flush.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #64

KZ RV Club
another that's dumped RV & Boat into the clean out. I thought that's what it's for, to clean out my tanks.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #65

The only problem should be with the volume all at once if there is a problem. Your septic tank operates on a full basis. When you add to it the liquid flows to the lateral lines. Your laterals probably will handle the volume of liquid. I don't know what will happen with the solids. They should settle to the bottom and begin to break You don't want the solids in the laterals. There is a baffle inside your septic tank to prevent solids entering the lines. It is not fool proof.
I have emptied mine RV tanks into my septic for years with out any problem. Never had to have a septic pumped in 30 years.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I built an RV site at my home base. Since I have acreage, I can pretty much do what I want on the land. My RV site has it's own septic system, but very small. I used a 60 gallon tanks and 100' of leach field. For a single RV it is great! When we have guest RVs , I move mine out of the way so they can hook up. With 30A power, water and septic they can stay for as long as they want and have their personal space. Since most RV's have limited hot water, showers are typically very short. Most people dump their black tank 1x per week and rinse the line with grey water and then a fresh water flush. This is fine as long as they don't dump a full grey tank at the same time!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #67

I have two RV spots and a bathroom in my shop that hook up to septic. Very seldom will I travel with full gray or black tank in my 5th wheel, but if its a short distance to home and no place to dump I will make it back to the RV spot and dump both tanks.
There is not a house hooked up to the septic tank so the volume is minimal, never had a problem with the tank for the past five years.
WinslowRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Are there any issues with dumping to a home septic system? Do different types of chemicals need to be used?

Our septic is about 150 feet away and about 10-15ft uphill from the coach, can a macerator pump be used?

Thanks,
Having been a plumber for 12 years and 6 years in septic business, dumping in your septic is fine, both black and grey, that is what the receptacle is for, sewer. Just make sure, if you use a pump, your inlet to the tank is at least a 3" or better yet a 4". Pumping uphill is it's own problem, hope the push is good. Now, on your septic system, depending on the size and the number of "appliances" (toilets, sinks, washers, etc)on the system, you need to have a regular maintenance schedule. I have 2400 gallon septic and we have 3 bathrooms, two kitchens, and laundry sink and washer on them, we also dump our RV tanks in them when we come home; we have the tanks pumped out every 2 years and we use Rid-X and septic approved toilet paper (dissolves faster). Our first septic lasted 30 years and was still operable when we had it pulled (concrete) and two (concrete) tanks put in.
cfarley351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #69

National RV Owners Club
I agree with those who say it is okay to dump into your septic tank. I also agree with those who say it should be done carefully. A sudden surge of water and solids "could" cause solids to be forced into your leech field and that "could" cause the clogging of those lines. I'm not an expert, but I lived in a house with leech field in the front yard (pool in the back). Three women with long hair and everything else that goes along with that. My front yard has been dug up twice to repair (add to) clogged leech lines. This was over about 10-12 years. Ask any septic guy and he'll tell you excessive water is the enemy of your septic system.
cdg1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Are there any issues with dumping to a home septic system? Do different types of chemicals need to be used?

Our septic is about 150 feet away and about 10-15ft uphill from the coach, can a macerator pump be used?

Thanks,
I have been dumping my holding tanks into my septic for 40 plus years with no issue. As for as pumping uphill I cannot answer that question, my personal dump station is a gravity dump all down hill.
As for as the septic tank guy that said he wouldn't recommend it, he was most likely speculating with no experience with an RV. I would ask him to give a definitive answer. I have come home after 6 weeks out and never dumped our black tank the whole trip, our black tank was full and no issues. We had a place to safely dump the gray but not the black.
Just my 2 cents worth!