Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Duo Therm thermostat wiring - 1994 Georgie Boy Swinger

I recently purchased a 1994 Georgie Boy Swinger. It has dual ACs and Furnaces, and each are run by a single wall thermostat (one in the living area and one in the bedroom). The thermostat in the bedroom went out. I ordered a replacement, and try as I may, I can't get the darn thing to work!! I know the issue is the thermostat, because I've swapped the front thermostat to the rear to rule that out. The original thermostat works both places. I've also tried a second new thermostat to make sure the first one wasn't a dud. I've tried comparing the wiring in the manuals/diagrams to what is in the RV, and of course it doesn't match.

The new thermostat won't run the furnace at all. It won't run the AC on auto, but will run the AC when the fan is set to "ON".

I've attached a few photos of the original thermostat and how it's wired. I've also attached photos of the new thermostat and how I have it currently wired. I also attached a photo from the manual for wiring of the original thermostat, and for the new thermostat. The order of terminals on the new thermostat are different than what is on the wiring diagram it came with.

Please take a look. Any help is immensely appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210302_120155.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	319827   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210302_105217.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	319828  

Name:	16147088057732971387409592582721.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	319829   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210302_105255.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	319830  

Name:	20210302_115736.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	319832   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210302_115723.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	319833  

Name:	16147090665702781086132227387620.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	319834  
Minnetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

Can't be done with existing equipment. The new thermostat requires a control / relay box that makes furnace connection and chooses fan speeds. It also relies on 12vdc (labeled as 7.5?) and your existing is Likely using 24vac - you can likely see the transformer in the air return.

Also be aware that your coach has a 30Amp electrical connection, (3 prongs on plug) and a load manager used to switch compressors / a.c. back and forth. If memory serves correctly, the manual switches are on driver side of bed, looks like light switches. If you kicked one, it will disable that air conditioner.

If it were me, I would return the new Dometic tstat, and pickup another plain Jane bimetal tstat from Lowes or home depot.

I last saw an old GB 20 more or less years ago. Similar problem with air conditioners, 1 would work (front). Bad transformer. I upgraded him to the then popular CCC 4 button. All was well afterwards with his life and wife. Wasn't an easy conversion either, but the wanted modern (multiple sensors) and auto generator start with warranty. Dometic said couldn't be done, I proved otherwise. Just can't be done cost effectively.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #3

You can still buy the original PN 3106995.032 thermostat you removed.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
Can't be done with existing equipment. The new thermostat requires a control / relay box that makes furnace connection and chooses fan speeds. It also relies on 12vdc (labeled as 7.5?) and your existing is Likely using 24vac - you can likely see the transformer in the air return.

Also be aware that your coach has a 30Amp electrical connection, (3 prongs on plug) and a load manager used to switch compressors / a.c. back and forth. If memory serves correctly, the manual switches are on driver side of bed, looks like light switches. If you kicked one, it will disable that air conditioner.

If it were me, I would return the new Dometic tstat, and pickup another plain Jane bimetal tstat from Lowes or home depot.

I last saw an old GB 20 more or less years ago. Similar problem with air conditioners, 1 would work (front). Bad transformer. I upgraded him to the then popular CCC 4 button. All was well afterwards with his life and wife. Wasn't an easy conversion either, but the wanted modern (multiple sensors) and auto generator start with warranty. Dometic said couldn't be done, I proved otherwise. Just can't be done cost effectively.
That definitely explains why it wouldn't work. Thank you for your help! My RV has a 50 amp service, so both AC's can, and do run at the same time.

I ended up just grabbing a basic Honeywell digital thermostat, wired it up, and it worked like a charm. I can handle a single fan speed...
Minnetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

That analog Dometic could have been used to replace that Duo-Therm analog

You just needed to connect BOTH red wires to the 7.5V terminal
**that one red from the bundle (red,white,blue,green) to that FAN terminal

1995 Vintage analog system...no need to change out control module in A/C Unit like is necessary with the newer Digital T-stats

That Honeywell digital will give you better temp control (less swings)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy, thermostat, wiring