Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #1

DuoTherm by Domestic-Fan runs, no cold air

Newbie here with an AC problem.

28' 2003 Rockwood 8278 purchased used last year.

Was working fine but now no cool air blowing.

Duo Therm by Dometic 13,500 BTU air conditioning with ducting, furnace.

I don't know the model of the AC, sorry and I'm not an AC guy...so here we go....

Any trouble shooting tips?

I removed the shroud and saw the fan running fine and the part on the right (compressor?) started to get real hot. What is that thing attached?

Here are other pictures I snapped.

teamfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

I found the model number: 57915.731 product # 991760388
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

The part next to the compressor is the accumulator. If it's getting hot and not running, it's probably locked up or the start capacitor or relay or wiring could be bad. Pull the cover on the compressor wireing and see if anything is burnt off.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Will do, thanks for the tip. I'll report back.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi teamfalcon,
If it is warm enough for A/C then I think Perry nailed the answer. Under a protective cover there should be a start and run capacitor. One or both may be bad. When mine go bad, it is easy to tell. I replace both at the same time and carry spare capacitors.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

Looking at the compressor, from the top.

I remove that nut and take a look to see what's going on inside?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

If the fan runs but no cold air and the compressor feels like it is running but is almost too hot to hold - then you have a loss of refrigerant. Verify by measuring the amp draw, if you are only pulling 7-8-9amps or so that will confirm refer loss.

Duo-Therm typically does not provide refrigerant service ports, they be added, but the general feeling is to replace entire unit.

If the compressor remains cool and fan runs it's likely a start capacitor. A failed cap can often be visually identified by a convex top - they are normally concave.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
If the fan runs but no cold air and the compressor feels like it is running but is almost too hot to hold - then you have a loss of refrigerant. Verify by measuring the amp draw, if you are only pulling 7-8-9amps or so that will confirm refer loss.

Duo-Therm typically does not provide refrigerant service ports, they be added, but the general feeling is to replace entire unit.

If the compressor remains cool and fan runs it's likely a start capacitor. A failed cap can often be visually identified by a convex top - they are normally concave.
That's exactly what's happening......
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #9

Any reputable, trustworthy online shop for AC capacitor, parts, etc. anyone recommends?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

Caps get off eBay (your choice of name brands or off brands...)
As I understand, Duo-Therm does not market any of their parts anywhere.

You most likely appear to have a loss of refrigerant. You don't need parts but a shop that is willing to install service ports in order to recharge. There is much debate on the longevity of this fix. Basically the only other option is to replace the entire unit.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

Where would I find the AC breaker? I was told to be careful when I start messing with the AC.

I don't have the RV 'connected', should I be worried messing with the AC?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfalcon View Post
Where would I find the AC breaker? I was told to be careful when I start messing with the AC.

I don't have the RV 'connected', should I be worried messing with the AC?
Given that capacitors can hold a full 120v charge for days/weeks and shock you (even when disconnected form shore) and that the A/C lines are pressurized and can cause injury if improperly opened, broken, or messed with it seems the advice you were told might be prudent.