Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DuoTherm Penguin Replacement; Specific Questions

I'm going to try to keep this post short and on point. I have two identical 10-yr old Duotherm penguin heat pumps and a 5-button thermostat. I also have an LP furnace controlled by the same t-stat. The heat pump unit on the rear of my MH is toast.

Q1: If I buy one new Penguin II unit, will it simply plug into the existing wiring on the rear of the coach and work correctly with the old penguin on the front?

Q2: If I buy two new Penguin IIs, will the existing wiring support replacement of the 5-button thermostat with the new 10 or 12 button t-stat (not sure how many the new one has, but certainly more than my current 5)?

Thanks,
Ed
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

I and some others have dealt with this in the past few months. If your coach has the familiar single thermostat controlling both overhead units through telephone wiring, then you can upgrade to a pair of Penguin 2 ACs or Heat Pumps and the 12-button thermostat using the same phone wires. I would call Dometic directly about mixing new and old overhead units on a single thermostat. The correct answer may be very model/version-specific. They were very helpful for my project.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'm going to try to keep this post short and on point. I have two identical 10-yr old Duotherm penguin heat pumps and a 5-button thermostat. I also have an LP furnace controlled by the same t-stat. The heat pump unit on the rear of my MH is toast.

Q1: If I buy one new Penguin II unit, will it simply plug into the existing wiring on the rear of the coach and work correctly with the old penguin on the front?

Q2: If I buy two new Penguin IIs, will the existing wiring support replacement of the 5-button thermostat with the new 10 or 12 button t-stat (not sure how many the new one has, but certainly more than my current 5)?

Thanks,
Ed
I did that same thing (replace the front heat pump) a few months ago. The new Penguin II will work but you have to buy an adapter board. You will be able to use your existing 5-button Comfort Control thermostat.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I did that same thing (replace the front heat pump) a few months ago. The new Penguin II will work but you have to buy an adapter board. You will be able to use your existing 5-button Comfort Control thermostat.
Thanks for the reply Joe. Is the adapter card required if replacing the rear unit vice the front one?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you replace both units go with the new t-stat, it does more than the old 5 button. Replaced both my units last year with the new t-stat and really like them better than the old units
Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Joe. Is the adapter card required if replacing the rear unit vice the front one?
Been there done this too many times. LOL

It doesn't matter. You can replace either or both units if you also install the adaptor card on each unit replaced.

I agree with bborc...if you were to replace both...replace the T-stat too.

IMPORTANT EDIT...The above sentence sounds like I was saying to install the adaptor cards AND the T-STAT...(bad sentence structure). What I meant to say is that if you replace all AC units with new ones...replace the T-stat ONLY.

Here is another little piece of information. The old unit will default to the HEAT PUMP mode if there is a failure of the reverser valve. The failure can be the valve, solenoid or the control board. That means if it is 100* outside with the AC running it will start putting out hot air. It doesn't know the valve failure and will keep pumping out hot air. If you have pets and are gone...you can have a very sad situation. Your new unit will default to AC if the reverser valve fails. It could cause the coach to get pretty chilly during cooler temps but won't kill your pets.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Sky Boss; what exactly does the adapter card "adapt"?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hey Sky Boss; what exactly does the adapter card "adapt"?
It basically makes the new AC unit work with the old T-stat. In simple terms (as it was explained to me) the new AC unit works in reverse from the old units. The card fixes that for you.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Awesome info. Thanks so much!

I'm actually thinking of just going ahead and replacing both units even though one still works.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
The new 12 button CCC thermostat has a clock and a set-back function for night.

It also allows you to set a temperature for each of your two zones and you never have to manually switch from A/C to HP or to furnace. Thermostat will automatically switch functions as needed.

You will now have three manual fan speeds in addition to Automatic

You can now read the temperature sensed in each of your two zones by selecting a zone and pushing the temperature button.

The thermostat does have 12 buttons but only 10 are used on mine. Read somewhere where Dometic was planning to add humidity control, hence the two buttons that are not labeled.

My 3 new Penguin II's and the new CCC thermostat replaced two non-functional Penguin units and one working one. I could not justify the control adapter for one old penguin.

Your existing wiring will support the new penguins and thermostat!

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

You'll need the adapter card to replace either one.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
if he replaces both units and new t-stat you don't need to get the cards. Its is just as cheap to get the new t-stat and forget buying the cards for the new units to work off the old 5 button t-stat
Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
if he replaces both units and new t-stat you don't need to get the cards. Its is just as cheap to get the new t-stat and forget buying the cards for the new units to work off the old 5 button t-stat
You're right, if you replace both then it would be best to replace the thermostat. He stated he was replacing only one.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to the Dometic web site for their AC units.

There are a bunch of Dometic Penguin units that do different things such as ducting vs non-ducted, and single thermostat vs multi unit thermostat, 13,500 btu vs 15,000 btu.

Identify the exact model number of the unit you want/need. Then start planning your accessory needs.

In my case there was only one unit that would meet my need and it was the 15,000 btu unit, which was not my in my original goal.

I was able to reuse my 20 year old wiring between the AC and the thermostat with some modifications.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, duotherm, replace, replacement