Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Easy Touch RV Thermostat

Anyone install on of these new thermostats with the new Penguin II AC unit
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat

Was it plug and play, does it work. Can you check RV temps remotely?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's a really nice thermostat Jim! I watched the video and it says that you can control it from anywhere as long as you have wifi in your RV. Looks very simple to install by simply plugging the phone cord in and mounting it to the wall. I wish I had not already spent the money for the CCC2 thermostat! Let us know how it goes for you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

If I replace both AC's I will probably go with this unit. It says it's plug an play.

My wife is always concerned about the temp in the motorhome. I know you can buy systems that provide alerts but they usually require a subscription. We usually travel with a hotspot so we should be able us and would allow my wife to keep a track on the temps

I have seen quite a few good reviews but I want to get feedback from people who have actually installed and use.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim;

I installed three of them in ours for the same reason, being able to monitor the temps from afar. Mine were not on Penguins, but they should work the same, and on mine, it was simple plug and play. You do have to have an active router with internet access for the remote capability, but they work locally through Bluetooth. I've had them since February and they've worked great since.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Jim;

I installed three of them in ours for the same reason, being able to monitor the temps from afar. Mine were not on Penguins, but they should work the same, and on mine, it was simple plug and play. You do have to have an active router with internet access for the remote capability, but they work locally through Bluetooth. I've had them since February and they've worked great since.

Thanks, this is the info I needed.

Surprisingly their website does not list a good phone number, there was one listed on an informational flyer I downloaded but it was out of service which makes me kind of nervous.

I did send an inquiry and got a response overnight but it's not like talking to an actual person.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I went ahead and downloaded the App to make sure I wouldn't have trouble with it if/when I got the thermostat. What a royal pain, I don't do App's and had never set up the Iphone to be able to do it. I do not use the phone to pay for things, just another thing that may be vulnerable to security issues. They make you link the phone to a payment method, paypal seemed to the most secure as I have to sign in an they send a code that I verify. At least it provides some security.

Anyway, I downloaded the APP, can't really tell anything since I can't connect to a device but that's one hurdle out of the way.

I went ahead an ordered the Easy Touch thermostat, hoping all the parts and pieces get here about the same time. I ordered the 2 new AC units from PPL and they told me shipping may take some time, we'll see.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #7

We love our EasyTouch thermostat. I made a video describing the installation on our Outdoors RV 280KVS with Coleman A/C. Piece of cake.

https://youtu.be/0TxgjUTPz1c
Old 11-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great Upgrade

So I replaced both my 13.5K units with Penguin II 15K High Capacity Heat pumps and also decided to go with the Micro Air thermostat since I was going to have to upgrade to a CCC 2 thermostat any way.
They advertise the thermostat as plug and play and I will say that it was extremely easy to install. Once I got it attached to the wall I tried to sync my phone to the thermostat. Couldn't do it since I can't get a phone signal in the garage. So I had to bring my hot spot into the garage at the door and was able to get a signal.

From there is was pretty easy. Went to the phone App, added the device, named the thermostat, and from there it was pretty much done.

I went through and tested each of the AC's, first testing the fans by speed (Low, Medium, High), then tested the heat pump and then switched to furnace on the front AC. Then tested the rear AC. All worked great.

Still have a little work to do to finish up so overall looks good.

So for now I'm going to add my recommendation for the Micro Air thermostat. If this changes I'll repost.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since we have an onboard hotspot we leave there and on all the time, having the EasyTouch RV Thermostat is an amazing piece for HVAC adjustment in storage....or at the campground for when we might be away for short periods.
This, along with the AutoGen Start keeps us confident that our puppy dog is safe.
I too was amazed at the plug n play install time of less than minutes...and most of that was mounting.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
So I replaced both my 13.5K units with Penguin II 15K High Capacity Heat pumps and also decided to go with the Micro Air thermostat since I was going to have to upgrade to a CCC 2 thermostat any way.
They advertise the thermostat as plug and play and I will say that it was extremely easy to install. Once I got it attached to the wall I tried to sync my phone to the thermostat. Couldn't do it since I can't get a phone signal in the garage. So I had to bring my hot spot into the garage at the door and was able to get a signal.

From there is was pretty easy. Went to the phone App, added the device, named the thermostat, and from there it was pretty much done.

I went through and tested each of the AC's, first testing the fans by speed (Low, Medium, High), then tested the heat pump and then switched to furnace on the front AC. Then tested the rear AC. All worked great.

Still have a little work to do to finish up so overall looks good.

So for now I'm going to add my recommendation for the Micro Air thermostat. If this changes I'll repost.
You could have set it up via BlueTooth instead of WiFi. You would still have had to sync your phone via the WiFi at some point in time, but the BT setup would have at least got you started.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I went ahead an moved my hotspot out to the garage so I could test the connection via internet. Once I figured out that I had to connect the thermostat to the hotspot via the phone app it went well.

Went down the road some and checked an could access the status of the Zone 1 & 2 temps, and turn the fans and heat pump on. Worked great. Eventually will set up the notifications for temps.

One issue that I am having it trying to set up my tablet (microsoft Go 2) to sync with the thermostat. When I tried to download the App to the tablet it brought up this message

This Google account is not yet associated with a device. Please access the Play Store app on your device before installing apps. Learn more
I followed the same steps as I did with the phone to down load the APP. I am signed in. Any suggestions as to how to set it up on a tablet.
I sent a question to Micro Air Easy Touch and the said the system was configured for the Apple and Android phones, didn't have any suggestions for a table.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I did go through the process of associating the Google Play account to my laptop, I still couldn't down load the App.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I am getting ready to leave on a trip but we've got a cold snap that has set in. I would have probably winterized the coach but now have a 40X50' garage to park it in.

I went ahead and moved the hotspot out to the coach and made sure I could connect via my phone. Last night I started to check temps in the garage and inside the coach. Got down to ~30F outside but inside the garage the temps are +41F and inside the coach it is still 50F in Zone 2 and 54F in Zone 1. Not sure if the higher temps are due to the wet bay and tank heaters coming on, I'll check that this AM. If needed I could turn on the Zone 2 heat pump and if it gets too cold the furnace would kick in, warming the coach and the garage, I'd just set it at a very low temp.

So this is another benefit of the Easy Touch Thermostat, I can sit in my easy chair and check temps from inside the house

Tags
thermostat