Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #1

Electric on-off valve on propane tank

Our electric on-off valve at the tank is wired to the chassis battery.
I would like to rewire to the house side.
Does anybody with a Safari (monaco product)have the same set up.
Ours is a 2003 sahara and having owned now for over a year the batteries both chassis (2) and house (4) maintain the best charges when stored at home on shore power with house ON and chassis OFF. The original owners manual states to leave both ON when stored and hooked to shore power. I have 50 amp shore power and are MH is equipped with an ECHO charger to maintain chassis batteries when house receives more than 13 volts. I have religiously checked all batteries with a hand held multimeter when stored and leaving the chassis batteries OFF gives the best results. The echo charger indicator shows charging but the chassis batteries go down slightly daily when left on but stay up at 12.6 when left off...I know, check for ghost usage and verify Echo charger out put.
When we dry camp, we need propane and would like to leave the chassis batteries off...
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

If you can find the fuse for the propane solenoid and it is a dedicated circuit ( only item on the fuse ) changing over the power supply to the fuse should not be an issue.
The solenoid may actually be the major draw on your chassis batteries.
If you can find a fuse , and test & see if is a dedicated circuit, then changing power to the fuse, would probably be easier that supplying coach battery power to the switch.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the idea to trace back from the switch looking for the fuse if dedicated line....
I've just been putting up with the way it came from the factory but this last trip we were out over two weeks. Didn't have a problem though as I watch my batteries very closely. Our previous MH (gas rig) I had to replace the converter and two house batteries. Just inconvenient. When I start this task I'm still going to try to measure output at the ECHO charger. They have a cover over the indicator light and I will remove the plastic cover and drill an 1 1/2" view hole and reinstall. I can't believe they covered it from view without sticking your whole head way inside the compartment and craning your neck hard left..
I will report back as soon as I can the outcome...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

If you get lucky and it is a dedicated fuse, take a picture of the fuse location and I'll draw you up a diagram for a jumper to the coach battery circuits.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Well, back to square one. I had time today so I investigated my propane switch wiring.
Opened the bay with all the wiring, didn't see anything obvious except wiring diagram posted on wall in bay. No LP Solenoid designation.
Pulled out the Monaco owners manual and under chassis wiring showed the 3 strips and ground bar also. Longest strip on the left is chassis (hot when switch is thrown and off when off), middle is coach (hot all the time even after turning off house batt switch inside coach) and right side a terminal buss. Ground bar a little lower. Did not disconnect house batteries.
The diagram in compartment didn't show the same as the owners manual with the difference being a red 12-14 guage wire down on #7 house strip. Owner's manual said this was "LP Sol", so I felt IT IS wired correctly.
With chassis power main toggle switch off, I undid the female-male connector that is 4" behind the switch at the tank. Test light showed showed NO power. Turned on chassis power, test light lit up. Then I disconnected wire at terminal on HOUSE strip "LP SOL" (which is hot by the way) didn't make any difference. Found another red wire 12-14 attached at IGN Switch on chassis side coming into the bay by itself (not in the loom) thought maybe they wired it wrong. Moved it over to the supposed LP SOL, no difference. Traced 2 red wires from propane solenoid switch in loom up and through frame and then they travel forward about 4 feet forward to wiring bay. I couldn't physically follow them without getting down and dirty under and behind the left front wheel...so I gave up and restored everything as it was. They must have a multi wire system tied to the chassis batteries and feel that the onboard ECHO charger will maintain the chassis batteries.
So for now, I will carry my trickle charger with me and if I feel the chassis batteries are moving too far towards discharge I'll use it during shore or generator hook up.
I also took my hole saw and made a 2 inch view hole for the ECHO charger indicator light.
Most of the day it was solid green, which means it's working properly. I could just leave things be, but I have this bad habit of wanting know the ins and outs of everything.
My dear wife puts up with me, but hey, who wants to be stranded or out of energy while camping!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Isn't RV wiring fun.
Hope you never get stranded, I guess it's just one more thing around the RV to keep an eye on.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

So thanks for your input...next time I have my overall's on, I'll follow the loom inside the frame rail to the wiring bay. I would really like to know WHY the chassis power still somehow controls the LP solenoid. That is, if the owners manual is correct.
If the wiring diagram posted inside the bay is correct, then I'll have to hunt for it as no connection is designated. Even though both diagrams (manual and bay) are carbon copy except manual shows LP Sol.
Over the course of time I will get to talk to other Monaco (Safari) owners with like year models and see what they know..Take care for now
Old 10-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Old thread but an update:
It's been more than year now, but I isolated the power wire for the electric propane valve switch to an available relay on the house strip...seems fine and it no longer takes the chassis batteries down.
My owners manual actually shows what I did. But in the wiring and strip compartment that relay was unmarked. So maybe when assembled they weren't sure were to locate the hot lead for the propane electric valve and just put it on the chassis side...??

Tags
propane, tank