Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Electric receptacle issues

I need some help with an electrical issue. I'm stumped and apologize for this monster sized post.

I bought a used 2007 Fleetwood Excursion 39V from DeMontrond RV in Houston several months ago. Prior to delivery their new porter decided to wash the inverter as he was cleaning up the coach. No BS, high pressure water straight on it. Needless to say it was toast. They replaced the old inverter with a brand new Magnum brand inverter. Score one for me...

During delivery and signing paperwork I failed to check ALL the electric plugs. No excuses but it was a REALLY long day. So, of course, when we used the coach the 1st time we had plugs that didn't work.

I didn't feel comfortable working on the coach, although I've done extensive remodeling in my S&B, to include electric. So, I hired a RV tech to come by and fix my problem. $177.50 later the diagnosis was a defective inverter. So I called DeMontrond and took the coach to Houston to be fixed as a warranty item. About 3 weeks later my coach was ready with the diagnosis that the inverter was fine and the culprit was a jumper wire in the inverter that was not correctly installed. No charge to me and my salesman filled my diesel tank. And of course I didn't check their work and I still have non-functioning plugs.

My inverter, from what I can decipher, has 2 legs feeding a GFCI outlet in the kitchen and a GFCI in the bedroom, those then feed the peripheral plugs. The bedroom GFCI was non-functional when I got the coach back (functioning prior to DeMontrond trip) and I ended up replacing it. The supply feed off the GFCI was not even hooked up so I hooked it up when I installed the new one. It is wired correctly and works, tester shows it to be wired correctly also. This appears to be the supply for all the non-functioning plugs.

On non-functioning plugs my tester shows hot & ground reversed. I replaced 2 of these plugs and they are wired correctly and all wires are tight. There is just 2 outside plugs left that I have not visually checked or replaced.

Any suggestions besides the obvious inspect or replace the remaining plugs? Monetarily it will be cheaper for me to have the RV tech come out vs a trip to Houston.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll bet you have another GFCI for the outside receptacles or another "supply feed" is not connected. Probably need to check all of the receptacles for an unconnected wire(s). It only takes one in a daisy chained circuit. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #3

Thank you for the suggestions.

The GFCI I replaced does feed the plugs that are not functioning. My receptacle tester is also a GFCI tester so I "popped" the GFCI from each plug. I also found a multi-strand neutral wire from the neutral buss to the inverter circuit board so I spent the 83 cents to get some proper wire and do it right. The junk that was on there was probably from the bottom of some mechanics box o'crap.

I used a multimeter and tested continuity on power, ground and neutral and I got a 1 reading or there abouts on each. So all three wires should be good to each plug.

Anyone?
Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #4

On my discovery the GFCI in the bedroom protects the outside outlets. The gfci in the bath aria protects the outlets in the kitchen.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #5

Well your troubleshooting skills now rate you for a job as a rv tech. The gfi outlets are one of those gotchas! Most people don't know that they feed the down stream plugs outside too. You saved yourself $177.00 and gained the knowledge to repair your rig in the future. Welcome to the world of rv repairs!
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #6

Well, fudge-sicle... I was hoping someone had a working magic 8 ball and could solve my problems. I even had an electrician that my brother in law knows coming over after church but he's caught some type of bug that's going around.

Guess I'm going to have to hold off until I can get a tech to come out. Just don't have much confidence after shelling out the $$$ last time and still having the same problem.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If the continuity test was good, then the GFCI must be the culprit. I would temporarily replace the GFCI with a normal outlet just for testing purposes. If it is the GFCI, your issues should vanish.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Found It!

Fixed!

My BIL has a good friend that is an electrician and he agreed to check it out.

With nothing plugged into the receptacles a receptacle tester showed the wiring to be correct. As soon as anything was plugged in, the tester returned the same ground/hot reversed message. He next checked the plugs and verified my work. Meter showed 93V coming thru. He next traced back from the 1st plug the GFCI feeds and located a rats nest of wires twisted together between the GFCI and my block heater. Looked like a 3rd grader had discovered a roll of electric tape. Needless to say, the problem was there. Whoever made that connection didn't even twist the wires together very well. He cut away the tape, pushed the wires into a new junction box and twisted them together and added wire nuts. The actual problem was the loose neutral connection.

Job done. I tried to pay him but he refused anything but a simple Thank You.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mentioned a high pressure wash job... Good chance he soaked the outside outlets.. I'd start with them.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You mentioned a high pressure wash job... Good chance he soaked the outside outlets.. I'd start with them.
Check out my post above. Loose neutral.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did not see that.. However You will find I often post that many RVers have a few screws loose.... One of the electric terminals in my RV (A breaker) took over two full turns before I even started to feel resistance.

(Yes folks real screws, the kind you tighten with a #2 square bit)