Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #1

Electrical Issue AF 28F

Hi everyone,

New AF owner but not new TT owner. I have an electrical issue that has me flummoxed. At a campground recently my wife turned on the microwave and it just quit working. Everything else seemed to be working and the circuit breaker wasn’t tripped. I reset the circuit breaker and still no power to the microwave. The microwave worked in a different outlet so figured that wasn’t the problem. I started troubleshooting and metered the breaker, the outlet and the wires. Power at the breaker terminal and fluctuating very low to zero power at wires and outlet. I spoke to the dealership service department and they were going to contact NW for warranty work. I then had the idea to switch breakers. The breaker worked fine but the swapped breaker still had no power to the outlet. I then started to trace the wire and pulled out the bottom kitchen drawer cabinet in the slide. To my surprise there were two junction boxes. The wire went into one and when I removed the faceplate I found the two neutral wires fried and the connector melted. I found my problem but what caused it? What is the black wire going to the junction box? Should I be concerned the black wire is shorted from rubbing on the slide?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16D7D28F-5AB6-44EB-9F89-E18238ADD842.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	342239   Click image for larger version

Name:	63EBE767-5652-4D5E-993C-5A46CCBD9EFE.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	342240  

Name:	4B1DA854-B7E4-496E-84D9-6FCA90E0B435.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	342241   Click image for larger version

Name:	91470E16-C19B-4E98-9E68-74AE31F1ACE8.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	342242  

gozermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
From what I can see looks like the damage is only at the connection? If so , I would say a poor connection. If an overload it would have tripped the breaker , or if the breaker was too high amperage for the wires , it would have damaged more wiring. Loose or poor connection will generate heat when under load.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

"circuit breaker wasn’t tripped. I reset the circuit breaker and still no power to the microwave.
two junction boxes. The wire went into one
two neutral wires fried and the connector melted. I found my problem but what caused it?"

Loose connections generate and current drawn by the microwave generate enough heat to melt plastic.

"What is the black wire going to the junction box?"

White wire is neutral.
Black wire is "hot" wire.
Green wire is ground.
The black cable with the white, black, and green wires in it is probably the power for the outlet the microwave plugs into. The flexible black cable may be used to connect things that move like the slide.

"Should I be concerned the black wire is shorted from rubbing on the slide?"

Yes, be concerned. If the bare black (hot) wire touches white, green, or metal box it will spark and trip the branch circuit breaker.

No, the black cable has a heavy outer sheath. It is probably OK if it rubs on things. Inspect it after the slide has been extended a hundred times or so.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks. Should have said cable instead of wire. All helpful advice.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

The a/c supply to my AF28F air conditioner had the same issue it looks like. I had my electrician son look at it; his opinion is the wire nut isn't great, the standard ones used here in Canada (brand name Marette) are more secure. Also, I believe the connection in my trailer wasn't done right to begin with at the factory - both wires weren't held securely from the start.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210702_152244.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	342277  
Esker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #6

Now I’m thinking of checking the other junction box.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozermac View Post
Now I’m thinking of checking the other junction box.
Yep, we have gone thru most in the camper - seeing that burned connection got my attention!! No problems with the others examined.

Did have a couple of stray strands that must of escaped during the install under the water heater switch in the control panel that would blow the 12v fuse.

More joys of being chief of trailer maintenance!
Esker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #8

Disconnect shore power

Cut the White Wires/strip them/twist them together then wire nut...
Check/Tighten th other wire nuts
Then Warp ALL of those wire nut connections with Electricians Tape so they can't vibrate loose

Loose electrical connects generate heat
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

I replaced all the connectors in the JB. They were all loose and I couldn’t tighten them down no matter how much I twisted. Here’s a pic of the Ideal connector that melted. Thanks everyone for the help. Microwave is up and running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5661B3A8-3F0D-4559-AF56-9AE3FD69DEC6.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	342384  

Tags
electric, electrical