Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2023, 05:47 AM   #1

Exclamation Electrical question?

I have a 2008 Forest River / Northwoods 5th wheel. When I try to plug in the 30amp cord to a 120 outlet, to maintain the unit while parked, the breaker for the garage keeps popping off. I have replaced the Camper 30amp outlet as I thought we were not getting a good connection. Unfortunately it has not cured the issue. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Snowbird23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2023, 05:56 AM   #2

Welcome aboard.
A little bit of history about your rig, your activities and your home 30A RV service could get the ball rolling.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:00 AM   #3

Is it a GFCI outlet ?

What else turns off when the breaker trips ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:01 AM   #4

I do not get any power going to the unit.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #5

normally garage circuits are required to be GFCI protected
is the breaker that is tripping a GFCI breaker ? if so try plugging into aother circuit that is not GFCI protected If that works than you may have a ground fault in your RV
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:14 AM   #6

This winter we spent two weeks at Surfside Beach, TX boondocking right on the beach, than over to Golf Shores, AL at an RV park for 5 weeks, then stops in North Carolina and Kentucky on the way home to Wisconsin.

When we first arrived home I was able to plug the unit in with no problem. The issue came on while sitting idle.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:18 AM   #7

It the circuit is not shutting off due to ground fault but rather too much current. The trick is to make sure that your usage is lower. No water heater element. At home I run my refrigerator and switch my converter on/off as needed.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #8

Appears to be a power management problem. However, you do allude to having a 30A RV receptacle. What rating is the breaker protecting that circuit?
Power down before plugging in. Then power up what you need. You should do this as a matter of fact, everywhere you go. In the least it will save your cord ends from arc damage.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
GFCI outlet depends on the neutral and ground being separated. On a 2008 model year, they may wired the camper so that the neutral and ground are together. This is ok, however if plugged into a GFCI, it will trip the circuit repeatedly. You would have to plug into a non GFCI outlet
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird23 View Post
This winter we spent two weeks at Surfside Beach, TX boondocking right on the beach, than over to Golf Shores, AL at an RV park for 5 weeks, then stops in North Carolina and Kentucky on the way home to Wisconsin.

When we first arrived home I was able to plug the unit in with no problem. The issue came on while sitting idle.
This probably ain't it but,,,

Did you happen to drain the water heater when you stored it? Might the switch to the water heater element have been on when you plugged it in after sitting? The element could have burned out and shorted. If so, this could cause a high amperage draw and trip the breaker.

To troubleshoot without a multimeter, I would turn off everything in the camper. Plug into the garage, its breaker on. Then go back into the camper and turn on the main. If no trip, turn on another breaker. Do this until the garage breaker trips. There's a decent chance the last breaker switched on has a problem in its circuit.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac99 View Post
GFCI outlet depends on the neutral and ground being separated. On a 2008 model year, they may wired the camper so that the neutral and ground are together. This is ok, however if plugged into a GFCI, it will trip the circuit repeatedly. You would have to plug into a non GFCI outlet
That's not the case since it worked last fall.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 06:28 AM   #12

Would be good of the OP with the problem to let the forum know if their problem has been solved.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird23 View Post
Electrical question?
I have a 2008 Forest River / Northwoods 5th wheel. When I try to plug in the 30amp cord to a 120 outlet, to maintain the unit while parked, the breaker for the garage keeps popping off. I have replaced the Camper 30amp outlet as I thought we were not getting a good connection. Unfortunately it has not cured the issue. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I do not get any power going to the unit.
Home outlets come in different capacities. It can be 15 amp 120 volt, 20a 120v, 30a 120v, or 50amps 240 volts. What is the capacity of your home outlet?

RV shore power cords also come in matching capacities. Of course you can get adapters to plug a higher capacity shore power cord into a lower power home outlet. Are you using an adapter?

Home outlets are protected by circuit breakers in the home main circuit breaker panel.

Home outlets may also have a built in Ground Fault Interrupter in the outlet socket or a GFCI interrupter in the home main circuit breaker panel.

Have you reset breakers in home main panel or GFCI on the outlet itself?

Many RV owner's use a portable "Surge Protector" that they plug the shore power cord into, or that is permanently installed in the RV. Are you using a Surge Protector?

Did you replace the Plug on the end of the shore power cord?
Did you replace the home outlet?
Did you replace a different connector?

If you are using a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt outlet in the home, can you get some other appliance to run properly when plugged into the same outlet?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:39 AM   #14

Thanks for all the input. Issue is not fixed as yet but I will be working on some of the suggestions. It helps to have direction to continue to narrow done the issue.

Tags
electric, electrical