Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Electrical Question - Wiring Inverter into 2 way auto transfer switch

Hi!

I am contemplating the best way to wire a small 400w inverter into my 2-way automatic transfer switch (currently utilized for shorepower/generator).

My plan is to wire the inverter's AC output to the same posts of the ShorePower input on the transfer switch (hot1 only/neutral), because the inverters output only has one hot leg I am only wiring it to the hot leg which runs my electrical outlets (no need for me to jump the 2 legs which solves one inherent problem).

My plan is to simply wire a standard 15amp nema plug(female for safety reasons) on the other end, which i then just manually plug into the inverter when i want to use it while "offgrid" to light up my basic outlets.

Seems fine in theory, but creates a potential for the inevitable "human error", My question is what happens when i forget to unplug the inverter and I go to plug in the ShorePower and light it up! I think maybe worst that could happen is I blow my inverter (which im fine) with, or possibly trip the ShorePower breaker? or worse!? Can i wire in some in-line fuse on the inverters output cable to mitigate? Is there a better alternative aside from buying a 3-way transfer switch, or another 2-way PRE-transfer switch? etc etc?

Thoughts? Thanks in advanced!
BigBen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

As long as your plan involves remembering to plug / unplug the inverter when you want to use / not use it why not just wire a respectable to the inverter that matches your shore power cord and plug it into the inverter. Only hook up the phase leg you wish to use. That way you could never forget to unplug the inverter when connecting to shore power.
rocketslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Me thinks you're over estimating the power supply the 400 watt , inverter is capable of. If your basic outlets include anything but a flat screen TV or a digital alarm clock, it won't last long, if you plug the system in and the fridge is set to auto , and the control board tries to select 120v power, it will trip the inverter's C/Breaker or ; worst case burn it out.
The second thing , now that I think about it , would be hooking inverter power up to the transfer switch , would require you shut down the converter/charge before you hook the inverter ; or you would create a loop, the inverter drawing off the batteries producing 120v, the converter/charger trying to produce 12v to charge the batteries at the same time .

The factory 400 watt inverter in my coach , was wired into dedicated outlets, for the television and one at the passengers feet to charge a lap top or cell phone while the coach is being driven. It also had a manual by-pass to hook those outlets direct to the coach's 120V when the RV was on shore power.

In all this , we don't know what kind of RV you're trying this out on and what you have available in the way of 12v battery power.

EDIT: And I see another member posted while I was away typing. Boy do I type slow.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I feel that is very risky, because sooner or later you will forget and plug in shore power while the inverter is still active. Sparks will almost surely fly when that happens! There is no predicting what will happen to both the inverter, the shore line, and anything powered on the branch circuits. The phase difference can cause the circuit to have any voltage between zero and 240, plus the frequency (Hz) can be off as well.

For a moderate cost you can put another transfer switch between inverter and shore power. Or s simple relay to make sure the inverter output stays inactive when shore power is present. This article may help show how it is done.
RV Inverter Install: DIYRV
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Pick up a 15 amp auto transfer switch. Wire it after the breaker that you want to power.

They come with a cord to plug into your inverter.

Complete hands free, nothing to do setup.

If you decide to upgrade your inverter, just plug it in and hook up the battery cables.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Xantrex...l#.Vx5MVUkpDqA
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Thanks All!

400w is plenty, I always turn off all my other breakers when running on the inverter (plugged into the shorepower inlet). 400w will run my 40inch 4k tv, 2 laptops, phone chargers all together with no problems. Refrig goes into LP mode.

Gary thanks! those are the suggestions I am looking for. I like the relay idea!
Don't really want to spring for another transfer switch. How would I wire that?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

TwinBoat, That's a nice switch small and affordable, problem is I have about 4 different breakers to power all of my receptacles... :-( Thinking about how I would wire it......spaghetti!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Does anyone know of a device (switch/relay) I can connect inline with the hot lead (and possibly neutral) from the inverter to the transfer switch that will automatically open/disconnect the circuit if it detects voltage coming from the shorepower?

Would a simple surge protector inline do it?

Tags
electrical, inverter, transfer switch, wiring